Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would just look at getting a tune. I have it on mine and I can spin the tires easily if I'm not carefull. Turbo upgrade would just make it even more likely to spin. Unless you plan on racing it I think you would be very happy with a tune.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Intake manifold is nothing like a constant pressure, extremely dynamic with pistons jumping up and down and valves opening and closing.

The stock turbo in the 1.4 L is already capable of producing peak pressures of 35 psi, how high do you want to go? Any more than this, will blow your engine.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
The stock turbo in the 1.4 L is already capable of producing peak pressures of 35 psi, how high do you want to go? Any more than this, will blow your engine.
The name of the game is not more boost but rather more volume of air and a reasonable intake charge temp. 35 psi from a tiny baby turbo is not close to a 100mm turbo at 8 psi. once you start going into bigger turbo and more psi then the motor will show its weaknesses. stick to bolt ons and a tune unless you rather do head work, forged rotating assembly, upgraded flowing fuel systems, upgrade transmission to handle the stress and so forth

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
No disagreements on that engine should be far more robust, but air volume should increase with increased pressure. But doesn't make that much difference if the engine itself is a restrictor, and with intake valves closed most of the time. Nor would it make much difference if the fuel flow wasn't also increased with that air volume, engine would be running lean.

Then still putting in that crap we buy from the gas stations, should be using some high grade racing fuels. Still feel 1.6 HP per cube is not bad, but darn bad when compared to engine that can get 2-3 times that much per cube.

But then the Cruze main designed was for fuel economy, performance still keeps up with traffic, especially on the Dan Ryan at 2-3 mph. Even to the point of pouring in three gallons less fuel and dumping the spare tire.

In brief, if you want strong performance, you don't buy a Cruze, lots of vehicles out there with 500+ HP.

Also agree on the tires, suspension, brakes, etc., also all would have to be upgraded, and for safety, use 20 air bags instead of just ten.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
exactly, although the ecotec is a great motor it was built for economy of fuel not power. once you start walking the power line the fuel economy design rears its head.you can make it quicker not faster by tuning, adding some bolt ons and calling it a day. plus remember no cruze has a LSD so even if and a big IF you make it to 300whp you will be one wheel peeling all day and night. what good is whp when it cant even reach the ground, again this is the flaw of wrong wheel drive

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, that was the problem with my 92 DeVille with a 4.8L V-8 that actually weighed less than the Cruze.

With non a non-limited slip FWD differential, by hitting the gas, one wheel would spin and smoke like crazy, but that car wasn't going anywhere.

Can't believe I forgot to mention the Cruze ignition system upgrade as an important part of the proposed modification. That toy like system would misfire even with a spark gap a tad too large, with that extra turbulence wouldn't run at all.

Not being straight-laced on this subject, in the 40's-60's, modifying an engine was a blast and a heck of a lot of fun. Then two terrible things happened to this country, an EPA was formed, then an energy crisis that is still going on even today. Back then insurance companies didn't care what you did to your vehicle, and was no such thing as a deductible insurance policy. Don't have to mention how this was changed. Even got worse with the internet, Know exactly how many parking and speeding tickets you have, up go your rates if you are not canceled first.

One thing was very weird in the 60's, could by a muscle car with a police interceptor engine, but was against the law to buy the required suspension, brakes, and power train you needed to go along with it. But if you had the bucks, least could buy aftermarket stuff.

Use to be a pretty nice country before the government got involved, but with insurance companies, believe we have a government bought and paid for by these insurance companies. These rates have sure skyrocketed, and not lying when I say any unreported mods would leave your insurance not liable for coverage, regardless of whose fault it was.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
With out getting side tracked yes the federal government sucks. I like the concept of the epa but it as a federal pograme has overstepped its power given by the states. If not for the government i could manufacture my own alcohol for consumption and for fuel, have my chicken coop and lots more.

Back on track yes you can have the turbo sent out and the housing bored and re fanned or cliped but your down a road that will cost a lot and wont get great result. Heck no one makes a lsd we can add in. With a lsd maybe i could see getting 320 whp

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
88 Supra Turbo has a limited slip differential for those not knowing what an LSD is. Instead of adding a couple of clutches to the differential, borrow most of the ABS to pulse brakes of the spinning wheel. So this way, you can wreck both.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
my 87 supra had lsd and it was very predictable and worked so well even on wet grass i could easily get out

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, LSD also stands for lysergic acid diethylamide, a mind bending drug, so have to watch out for these abbreviations.

All they can fool with today without getting bit by the EPA is the air cleaner, and the cat back exhaust with all kinds of claims with improved performance.

In reality, only getting more noise so that makes you think you are getting more performance.

The cost to gain this noise if you do it yourself is about a thousand bucks. More if you pay to get it done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts