Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever have issues with their trunk button not working? Push the button on the trunk lid and nothing. Fob works...
Thanks Rick

·
Administrator
25,109 Posts
Common issue with the Cruze. The trunk button, even the new design, isn't very well sealed from the elements.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure doesn't work when that anti-thief LED is flashing, and noted on my 2012 2LT with the doors locked, pulling the driver's door twice that unlocks that door does not disable the anti-thief, it still flashes, and the trunk switch does not work.

Yes, many on this board have reported problems with that trunk switch, just a simple momentary normally open switch that should make contact when you push up on it. For some reason, my Cruze with 36,236 miles on it is still working and should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. Now I am on my own.

You don't want it to work when that anti-thief LED is flashing, but also wondering, if my doors are locked and I pull on that inside driver's door handle twice, that light is still flashing. And by opening this door, the lock knob does rise, can leave the car with the door closed, still unlock, LED is still flashing, and my trunk switch will not work. But that driver's door is still unlocked when you open it by pulling on the inside door twice. So even with that LED light flashing, you can leave your car with the driver's door unlocked.

At this point, the dash unlock switch also does not work. Need the remote to unlock them.

Had problems with GM electrical trunk releases clear back to the 60's, if not the switch, the solenoid, or even a dead battery. but could always get in with the key, especially since I kept my booster cables in the trunk. Still looking for this trunk key slot in my Cruze. Still the easiest car I have owned that is positivity to lock myself out of. Never leave it for a second unless I have the remote in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Sure doesn't work when that anti-thief LED is flashing,
Unless you have the deluxe keyless ignition and you have the fob in your pocket.

Still the easiest car I have owned that is positivity to lock myself out of.
Mine honks and unlocks if I try. But I can see how that can be a problem with other models.

I'd suggest keeping the booster cables near where the back seat folds down.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, FOB will always stand for Free On Board, meaning I will have to pay for the freight to have something delivered. But not an abbreviation for a fob, that is something small like a watch pocket. Or even a device with codes stored in it that is small enough to fit in that fob, so why not call this (remote) a fob as well.

Ford like the the term keyless entry, but used a keypad on outside door that consisted of keys, so how can they call this keyless entry.

Even with the undeluxe fob can you open the trunk by hitting that button, providing both the remote and the vehicle is in working condition and with the anti-thief LED flashing. If the vehicle battery is dead, still can open the hood an put a charger on it to open the trunk. But thinking about a recent scenario where I had a large box in my trunk with an over the range microwave in it.

With that green release handle, mounted way behind on the vertical part of the trunk lid, no way could I reach that to put on that green handle manual release. So prayed that solenoid was working. It it wasn't would have to get a torch to get in with some consequential damage to the vehicle. Not a very good idea.

Ha, seen enough movies with people locked in the trunk, all these had keys, with a wire like lever they just had to pull on to get out and completely opened. With the Cruze, do have that green handle to pull to get out.

One solution to have access to that green handle is not to put anything in your trunk so you can have access to it. But in this case, the trunk would be completely worthless, so why even have it?

But this post has nothing to do with he remote, just the trunk switch itself, that button fires a command to the BMC to open the trunk, a high impedance circuit and those contacts have to be extremely clean, no arc current to help it. 04 Cavalier was a far superior design with both remote trunk entry and a key, and the rear seats were released from the trunk.

Cruze is all backwards, someone can break a window in your Cruze, without setting off the alarm, not that anyone would listen to it if it did go off. Drop the rear seats from the inside and grab your box of family jewels and take off. Again, the best solution is to not even use your trunk. This sure wasn't very well thought out.

Now I am wondering why I never noticed this before buying my Cruze, took the trunk key for granted as well as sill protection. Plus several other key items.

When my 04 Cavalier was caught in an ice storm, no way could I open the doors, but the trunk did work. Could get in, drop the rear seats from the trunk, crawl through to insert the key in the ignition, start the car and let it warm up, then open the front doors after that ice had melted. Actually before this, was putting inside pressure, if I tried this from the outside, would have broken off the door handle.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I have a 2012. I had mine fixed, it was the wiring harness for the switch.
Sounds like the connector wasn't pushed in all the way, how would you like a job putting connectors together all day? Bound to slip up once or twice.

Only thing worse than connecting connectors is disconnecting them, the males go so far into the females, nothing to grab unto. And if you pull by the wires, will break some off. And then under the dash, can only get one hand under there where you need two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts