Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they haven't had any complaints on this? Makes me wonder why they have all these fix's if they haven't had these problems with it. Tomorrow they get their last chance at fixing it which is number four, I'm not going to breath glycol vapors. Question is, has anybody really had this fix right or has it just been a quick patch job by GM?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I think you meant to say 'Your dealer said'......as opposed to G.M. said......right?

Which means your dealer may not have had any affected cars.....for example, my 2012 is odor free from the heating outlets.
Cigarette odor is my fault...heh heh.

There is some stuff about the surge tank.....replacement of same.....radiator caps...replacement of same....yada, yada.

Anyways, somewhere in the old threads there is a bulletin number that directs the dealer what to do.....ie, replace the hvac cases.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Rob I meant GM, I had called there to find out what the fix was and the lady told me it was the first she has heard about it. So I told her to go to Cruzetalk you'll read alot about other people with the same problem, she told me NOT to believe what I read on here. So anyways my dealer today did the reservoir tank hose job, looks like hack job and they replaced some foam pads. The results, I can still smell the antifreeze inside the car.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
One culprit down, several more to go. Wonder what fix will be next? Water pump replacement with third design? Surge tank replacement with new cap? Heater core replacement? HVAC box replacement?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
No Rob I meant GM, I had called there to find out what the fix was and the lady told me it was the first she has heard about it. So I told her to go to Cruzetalk you'll read alot about other people with the same problem, she told me NOT to believe what I read on here. So anyways my dealer today did the reservoir tank hose job, looks like hack job and they replaced some foam pads. The results, I can still smell the antifreeze inside the car.
Tell the to restore your coolant tank, including the vent cover. This is a hack job that doesn't fix the problem. Then have them follow the diagnostic order in the first thread. Private Message our Chevy Customer Care account to get them to follow the order of checking for under hood odor and eliminating them, then go to the HVAC box to resolve the issue.

·
10,712 Posts
I could smell the coolant outside my car and it ended up being the water pump. W/o going deep in that thread, there was also the issue where the flap on the cowl would leak the smell inside the car. I didn't have that happen to me at all.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The basic diagnostic process is to eliminate any coolant odors inside the engine bay and outside the car. Once those are eliminated, any remaining odor is coming from the HVAC system.

·
10,712 Posts
The basic diagnostic process is to eliminate any coolant odors inside the engine bay and outside the car. Once those are eliminated, any remaining odor is coming from the HVAC system.
If that's the case, I had coolant smell most my ownership. It wasn't until recent it got stronger and I noticed coolant missing. I smell it strong now but I also had the coolant system opened up 30 miles ago for another water pump.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Merc, it can take a few days for any spilled coolant to completely dissipate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody, after reading thru the forms and seeing that almost all these cars have the same issue with no real fix, my cars warranty is up this coming summer I can't have this smell inside the car due to my wife's asthma, I know smelling the antifreeze vapors aren't good for a person so I had contacted an attorney and will be in the process of returning my Cruse under the lemon law. I liked the car other than this issue and won't pay to drive around in a car that smells like antifreeze. Thanks again everybody

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Nothing like the sweet smell of coolant that can permanently wreck your kidney's, nothing to fool with if you want to be on this earth for awhile.

Coolant smell comes with coolant loss, just a couple of drops or pouring out by crazy. No improvements in anti-freeze have been made since the 50's when this stuff first came out. The system has to be pressured tested both hot and cold, by a competent person, I have problems finding a competent person so do it myself.

Back in the 60's my cousin died from the toxicity of anti-freeze, was not only a long painful death, but a huge tragedy on my uncle, was his only son.

Ironic how the government works, with this asbestos scare in the 70's, we were using it internally as a viable temperature insulator, but had to instantly have a recall to get rid of all of it. But no substitute for brakes or clutch discs used in huge more quantities putting out asbestos dust like crazy. But this was okay, given years to find a replacement.

The same is true of anti-freeze and for the most part, kept under the covers. Certainly not a chemist, but would think after all these years, would find something safer to use.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Thanks everybody, after reading thru the forms and seeing that almost all these cars have the same issue with no real fix, my cars warranty is up this coming summer I can't have this smell inside the car due to my wife's asthma, I know smelling the antifreeze vapors aren't good for a person so I had contacted an attorney and will be in the process of returning my Cruse under the lemon law. I liked the car other than this issue and won't pay to drive around in a car that smells like antifreeze. Thanks again everybody
If the odor doesn't exist in the engine bay the culprit is the HVAC box grease. Until the middle of the 2013 model year it was glycol based and would stink to high heaven when it got hot. As soon as your attorney contacts GM all bets are off for you getting this issue fixed - GM won't be interested.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello David,

We truly are sorry to hear about your inconvenience and can definitely understand how frustrating this may have been for you. I believe to have identified your case within our system and I will be sure to document this further and notify your agent. If you have questions regarding your case, I will be more than happy to provide you additional information. Feel free to send us a private message our way.

Brandon P.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't comment on this any further due to the fact it's going to be under investigation. Thank you everybody

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to add one more thing. When I spoke to Tiffany at GM on Dec 9th she told me not to believe anything you read on this form, sure is odd that when Brandon read my tread about turning my car in under the lemon law GM contacted me right away.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Homefree,

My 2013 Cruze had the exact same issue yours did, "coolant" smell only when the heat is on, no coolant leaks. The first time the dealership gave me the brush off, but the second time I pressed the issue and made them refer to PI 0935 on my paperwork before they looked at the car. The second time they replaced the HVAC casing and grease and all has been well since. No more coolant type odors.

As a side note to the above, as I approached 36k miles, my HVAC system also began making a "squeaking" noise when adjusting vent position. My theory is the glycol based grease was drying out from reacting with the heat (causing the coolant like odor), creating a double whammy on the HVAC grease issue. This part really made me press the dealership for the replacement listed in PI 0935.

My advice to you is to print off PI 0935 from the coolant resolution thread linked to earlier in this post and politely show it to your dealership. You would be surprised how far being polite and showing respect can go into getting you help. If they still refuse to help you, find a new dealership. There have been many Cruze affected with this exact problem. I'm glad I got it taken care of before out of B2B warranty, as the cost otherwise would have been a nightmare. Also, the GM customer service reps here have been generally helpful.

As a last resort, and if no local dealerships will help you, file a lemon law case. But be warned, as others have said, as soon as GM knows you are filing for lemon law, they will not help you any further.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Under hood leaks on the Cruze are easy to find and repair, if residue anti-freeze is left on, can be easily rinsed off with a water hose. Was more post production work on my Cruze with that top of the firewall rubber gasket just kind of laying their. Used a glue gun to tack it down in several places, still can remove it for whatever reason, but at least its staying there.

Heater core replacement really isn't that bad on the Cruze, ha, on some vehicles swore the heater core was the very first component down the production line with the entire vehicle built around it.

Here is the shop manual instructions on how to replace the heater core.

"
Heater Core Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling (Static Fill) See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System\Service and Repair\Cooling System Draining and Filling (Static Fill)Cooling System Draining and Filling (GE-47716 Fill) See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System\Service and Repair\Cooling System Draining and Filling (GE-47716 Fill).
  2. Remove the inflatable restraint instrument panel lower module - driver side. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel Lower Module Replacement - Driver Side See: Restraints and Safety Systems\Air Bag Systems\Air Bag\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel Lower Module Replacement - Driver Side.
  3. Remove the instrument panel lower trim panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Lower Trim Panel Replacement - Left Side See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel Lower Trim Panel Replacement - Left Side.

1. Remove instrument panel bolt (1).

1. Remove heater core cover bolt (1) and heater core cover (2).

1. Remove the 2 heater core clamps (2).
  2. Remove the 2 heater core tubes (3).
  3. Remove the heater core (1).
  4. Change the 2 heater core tube sealing rings.
Installation Procedure

1. Install the heater core (1).
  2. Install the 2 heater core tubes (3).
  3. Tighten the 2 heater core clamps (2).

1. Install the heater core cover bolt (1) and heater core cover (2).

1. Install instrument panel bolt (1).
  2. Install the instrument panel lower trim panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Lower Trim Panel Replacement - Left Side See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel Lower Trim Panel Replacement - Left Side.
  3. Install the inflatable restraint instrument panel lower module - driver side. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel Lower Module Replacement - Driver Side See: Restraints and Safety Systems\Air Bag Systems\Air Bag\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel Lower Module Replacement - Driver Side.
  4. Bleed the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling (Static Fill) See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System\Service and Repair\Cooling System Draining and Filling (Static Fill)Cooling System Draining and Filling (GE-47716 Fill) See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System\Service and Repair\Cooling System Draining and Filling (GE-47716 Fill)."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts