Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need your help! I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze with a 1.4L turbo automatic, it recently hit 50K miles and it started overheating. I tracked it down and found out it was the thermostat, it lasted a week before it started overheating again. Once again I tracked it down and replaced every clamp and hose I saw a minor leak from just to be on the safe side. It’s been 2 months and the car has been doing great until now. It hasn’t lost coolant but when I turn on the heater it makes a weird noise, i looked around my engine bay and saw that there was residue all over the frame and parts of the engine. I didn’t see any leaks but my oil change was coming up so I decided to check the dip stick. My coolant is orange and the oil is brown but when I pulled the dip stick out And cleaned it with a white napkin I saw orange residue on it. I checked my oil cap and saw white mayonnaise stuff on it. What does this mean?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
White gunk in the oil generally means water is getting in. Perhaps from coolant, but I've also seen some due to moist air getting sucked in the PCV.

But since you're has orange as well, I think you have coolant getting into the water.

When was the car first sold? See if you might still be in the Power Train warranty (5 years/100K miles).

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Normal cold weather condensation buildup.

Happens every winter to most cars/trucks in particular if trips are short in the colder parts of the country (world).

Fear not,

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Colorado and I’ve had the car since 2012, I’m the only owner of the car and it only had 7 miles when I bought it but I bought it in July. So my five years should still be covered right? I bought it at an autonation.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Warranty starts when the car goes in to service. Your 5 years puts you at july 2017. You're probably looking at extended warranty if you purchased it.

Overheating the engine isn't good for head gaskets. Possibly cracked head. Water in the oil. Isn't good for the engine. Very hard on crank bearings. Which could end up ruining the crankshaft. You might get by with fixing the internal leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts