Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dec 3 the dealer told me the they cant cover my warranty due to lack of maintence. I bought it used. With 27000km as of today it has 58500km. I have a blown engine. I got denied. Took me a month of fighting to get them to look at the vechile again so i take it in jan 11 and they took the engine apart calls says it not mechanicl says it because its not approved oil i use amsoil. They wanted proof gave proof still no go. They said rings are done well how does the rings go bad due to oil and pistons to.
Now i am in contact with amsoil see if they back there word.
How long does sludge build up for? I found that the 0-27000km had till inbought it.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Which AMSOil oil and did you do the oil changes? Even the top AMSOil recommends a max of 15,000 miles /1 year but you still have to change the oil filter every 7,500 miles /1 year.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
One other thought - you bought this car used. If the warranty was in place when you bought it and you've used quality oil and changed it then the dealership is just trying to avoid doing the work as a warranty repair. They get paid more if you pay for the repair.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully all works out for you. Unless you went really long on oil changes, used the wrong viscosity or ran it low on oil, I can't see them fully denying you. Hopefully AMSoil has a say here.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
AMSOIL would have been cleaning up what ever was in the engine from the previous owner. Sounds like the previous owner never changed the oil. One other thing could be a small coolant leak into the engine. That will cause sludge. Did they find it all built up with sludge inside or was it still fairly clean? It doesn't take much coolant to cause issues. I'm possibly dealing with it now on ours from what the UOA's are showing.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
OP is in Canada - what are the laws like there?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow! Your saying that the best Oil in the world isint Dexos approved?! And that if I use it and Blow an engine, Gm wont cover it? Guess I'm going to get Dealer oil changes for another 1 1/2 years just to be safe!

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Wow! Your saying that the best Oil in the world isint Dexos approved?! And that if I use it and Blow an engine, Gm wont cover it? Guess I'm going to get Dealer oil changes for another 1 1/2 years just to be safe!
No, they just don't want to pay GM's licensing fee.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are all the same page. Now this gonna be interesting so dealers at a hault rings are toast #2 they saying sludge and crud in the system how i ask i dont use a dexos approved product even thought the amsoil bottle supercedes dexos. The car need engine. Dealer dont wanna pay. I call amsoil well they are gonna go up to bat and this **** outta the park. There sending me a oil tube and requesting that #2 piston and i have to get reciepts and voided warranty form dealer. Its gonna be awhile soon as amsoil checks the oil they we go to stage 2 amsoil says whos guilty. Though dealer is being boss i gotta talk to the executive presidents floor to assure there dumbass service manager is making the proper choices.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Have you gone through GM directly and does that work in Canada? I know a lot of the Canadian members of our forum could probably recommend a different dealership as well? Just a few ideas.

·
Super Moderator
7,815 Posts
Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I'd throw my $.02 in but the OP hasn't given enough info, ie, what was it doing to make it necessary to go to the dealer, or more detail and what failed to make the dealer think it would not be a powertrain repair beyond 'lack of maintenance'.

Blown engine infers hard parts hanging out of the block.

Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks tomko for setting up whats going on.
The beginning was i drove north 100 miles i reach my destination check light comes on and i looked under the hood and the engine was covered in oil leaking in front timing belt side. Didnt think is be a total engine loss i thought right away pcv in go buy in that city finish my visiting go home i get home same thing and this time when i hit my city less 10 miles it started to act up shuttering then i was ****. Took it to dealer they dianose :#2 bank at fault. Now they have no service records of my i told them i do my ow. Pil changes i have recipets i use amsoil. Denied lack of maintence after a month of calling dealer, gm canada presidents floor i went directly to president and amsoil.
The dearler is being really hard noised here fews days back now. Presidents floor called dealer figure out whats the problem so they take the engine apart its not mechanical at pistons are not cracked just a blown piston rings on 2. Now how did that happen crud sludge no oil changes. dexos was not used. I changed my oil twice i am allowed 24000km i changed at 11000km the oil would always look nasty. Dealer is blaming the oil being at fault. They didnt its par but it not approved. Like i said in the other thread talked to amsoil there sending warranty kit. The tech guy at amsoil was sooo mad every time he heard not dexos approved. I gotta talk to president floor monday first for whats my next actionon monday that there still denying warranty blaming oil and there gonna attacked by amsoil. See what thay say. After decision i got my car tow home or they fix it. Oh and the first year of that car having one oil change on a dexos product thats wear the sludge came and started from i shoulda used a engine cleaner. Ive used amsoil 10 years it did wonders om my last vechile i belive in amsoil

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I wonder if AMSOil is responsible for the oil leak. :) A good oil will clean out sludge left over from crappy oil and poor maintance. It's possible the leak was there already and the AMSOil simple cleaned out the system enough for the oil to start seeping out. Bottom line - you purchased a used car that hadn't been maintained and not the dealer is trying to blame AMSOil for the previous owner's failure.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I wonder if AMSOil is responsible for the oil leak. :) A good oil will clean out sludge left over from crappy oil and poor maintance. It's possible the leak was there already and the AMSOil simple cleaned out the system enough for the oil to start seeping out. Bottom line - you purchased a used car that hadn't been maintained and not the dealer is trying to blame AMSOil for the previous owner's failure.
I think that's a pretty fair assumption.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
I may have missed this, but what specific AMSOIL product was used, and at what drain interval?

Since you did buy it used, you won't know what the condition of the engine was when you bought it. Could have been not even maintained when you picked it up, and AMSOIL was just stringing the engine along. This would require an analysis of the oil to determine that it was out of specification. GM has stated to me directly that simple choice of lubricant is not grounds for a warranty denial, and that it has to be concretely proven that the oil or service caused the issue. They can't just say "AMSOIL isn't dexos1 licensed so we will deny your warranty." They acknowledge it doesn't have to be licensed.

Please remember, at all times, that GM licensed dealerships are not GM. They are not the same company. Your dealer is a privately owned business that is authorized/licensed by GM to sell and service their products.

Please keep me posted on how this goes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ill definitly keep posted its daily process atm monday i call gm canada. Actually find if they stand behind the dealers decisions. If thats true then amsoil tech warranty kicks in. With a bunch of refusel paper work. The other way is if gm canada repairs it reguard less its GM's money not the dealers money so thats why i dont know the service manager is mental with not repairing it. Threw the grapefine i am like one first to get denied. To them its 5000 used or 8000 new engine repair.
I have used 0w30 then 5w30ss
I have changed oil twice.
my truck i bought it new and changed to amsoil first change and man that engine after 9 years never got dirty maybe a little spec after 9 years. The cruze first amsoil change with me man is see just black after 2000k i was wondering whats going on.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
The previous owner didn't take care of the car.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts