Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have noticed a chirping sound coming from the engine bay and it seems to be getting a little louder as the time progresses. Hoping someone here has had a similar issue and maybe point me in the right direction to getting it fixed. I recorded it and have added the youtube link below. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Check the PCV Valve in the valve cover. Google it on this site. Essentially remove the ecotec cover from the top of the valve cover, and check the valve cover for air being sucked in at the check valve.

There's a whole very large thread dedicated to the PCV Valve/Valve cover replacement, and the replacement check valve in the intake manifold that causes the PCV failure.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the PCV Valve in the valve cover. Google it on this site. Essentially remove the ecotec cover from the top of the valve cover, and check the valve cover for air being sucked in at the check valve.

There's a whole very large thread dedicated to the PCV Valve/Valve cover replacement, and the replacement check valve in the intake manifold that causes the PCV failure.
This should be covered under my powertrain then right? Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Remove dipstick while idleing....any difference? If noise is gone, needs a crankshaft seal (belt side...powertrain).

Noise doesn't change? Check for a loose spark plug (wait till engine is at ambient temperature.)

Rob

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Remove dipstick while idleing....any difference? If noise is gone, needs a crankshaft seal (belt side...powertrain).

Noise doesn't change? Check for a loose spark plug (wait till engine is at ambient temperature.)

Rob

Removing the dipstick didn't change too much of anything that I really noticed, it did start chirping again for a second once I put the dipstick back in.

I will check the spark plugs once it cools down. I just got back driving home from work so its still pretty hot.

I also did not notice any vacuum from the little circle piece on the right side, is that normal?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
That's the exact sound a loose spark plug will make.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts

Agreed. But I thought a PCV valve failure in the manifold could cause excessive vacuum in the crankcase leading to a squeaking seal. Eventually, that bad valve will cause the PCV in the valve cover to rupture leading to other problems.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Agreed. But I thought a PCV valve failure in the manifold could cause excessive vacuum in the crankcase leading to a squeaking seal. Eventually, that bad valve will cause the PCV in the valve cover to rupture leading to other problems.
When the check valve fails the excessive vacuum in the crankcase is vented through the blow by hose from crankcase to airbox.
Over time though, since this vent is supposed to bleed off positive crankcase pressure (occurs because PCV shuts off with deep throttle/low vacuum operation), but is bleeding negative vacuum because the check valve isn't, it is overwhelmed. Eventually, the burst valve (what we keep calling the pcv) diaphragm ruptures due to excessive pressure.
This creates a giant vacuum leak at idle with resultant codes and poor operation.

Rob

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I appreciate all of the help guys! I went out to check my plugs and one of them was a bit loose, I could loosen it with just the socket and extension bar by hand without the socket wrench. I tightened it up and so far the noise has disappeared. I will find out tomorrow if this has for sure fixed it when I drive to work. Thanks again for everything, I knew I could count on this Awesome community of Cruzers! You all Rock!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't been able to locate the thread that goes in to the PCV that you talked about above. My 2013 Cruze LT has started making a chirping sound whenever I accelerate similar to this noise and dealership said it needs a new intake as well as a new valve cover. It's just started making this sound in the last couple of weeks- is this something that could cause failure at any time?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Start by checking for a loose plug(s).

How did the dealer make the manifold and cover diagnosis?

Rob

BTW: are you certain you are beyond the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty? The parts you mention are covered if they have failed.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts