Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 2013 Cruze LS with the 1.8L engine (68k miles) 6-speed manual transmission yesterday. I tested the car and it was great! After I drove it home and let it sit for 2 hours I started it up and it made a grinding noise with a clunk for a second after starting. No check engine light. It did not do this when I bought it from a private party maybe because it was from cold start vs a warm start? I have read the threads and saw similar issues on this with a TSB for this same issue involving having to replace the starter, fuse box, and possibly the flywheel, if damaged. I don't think this car still has the factory warranty so I will need to take it to my mechanic. My questions are: Has anyone else resolved this issue? If so, how? Also, what starter do I buy? Can it be aftermarket like the ACDelco (half the price) or should I go oem? And does the fuse box need to be replaced? Sucks I just paid cash and now need to take it to my mechanic but these are the risks of buying used lol

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
25,032 Posts
The 2013's had a 5 year powertrain warranty. Create an account at my.chevrolet.com and add your Cruze - check the warranty status. You're still under the 100,000 miles but it's the time you need to be concerned about. Also, the AC Delco starter is the OEM starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I added my account and it seems I have three weeks left. I took it to the dealer and they told me it would be $150 for the diagnostic unless it's something covered under the powertrain warranty which will then waive the fee. I'm pretty sure it's a starter and/or flywheel issue. I'm hoping the starter is covered under the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like the starter is not covered under the powertrain warranty. Cruze is still at the shop. Mechanic said he thinks it's either going to need a flywheel or clutch. Why would it need a clutch? The grinding noise happens whether or not the car starts in gear or not and it shifts fine. It's more likely a flywheel issue than a clutch issue, right?

·
Administrator
25,032 Posts
This is a known starter motor issue with the Gen 1 1.8s. It's not a clutch problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a known starter motor issue with the Gen 1 1.8s. It's not a clutch problem.
Definitely what came to mind. If it's the starter then I'll have to replace it myself. What if they determine the flywheel is damaged. I see it is covered under the powertrain warranty. Will they replace that without replacing the starter? Or will I have to pay for the starter and fuse box out-of-pocket and they replace the flywheel. I read in another thread that Tustin1 had the dealer replace both and he still got the grinding noise. Luckily he was covered by the b2b warranty.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine has been making the grinding noise after warm starts for the last 3 years/40k mi. I haven't replaced anything and it's still starts and runs - just sounds like crap for a second after it starts.

Just sayin' - doing nothing is an option, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine has been making the grinding noise after warm starts for the last 3 years/40k mi. I haven't replaced anything and it's still starts and runs - just sounds like crap for a second after it starts.

Just sayin' - doing nothing is an option, too.
Haha that's what I was wondering as well. The car runs great. It's the startup that gets me. I was thinking it might do some damage to the starter or flywheel therefore I had the dealer check it out in case it's something that's covered under the warranty. If it's not damaged I might just change the starter and call it a day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is an old thread but after searching for this starter problem, I ended up here. I have a 2013 Cruze with the 6spd manual (car only has 53k on the odo) and the starter grinds/skips after it is warmed up. It almost sounds like the starter isn't meshing correctly with the flywheel. For the first start of the day when I go to work, it starts up just fine. The problem can be replicated only when the engine is warm. And just today it is making the noises listed above, now it sounds like someone takes a wrench and bangs it on the starter casing right before the engine catches.

Can anyone point out what exactly could be causing the issue (it is noted above that this is a known issue with the 1.8s)? Is it a weak starter? Bad Cable connection? etc.... And is there any way to fix it or do you just have to replace the starter itself? Thank you for any advice you may have, I appreciate it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts