Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2013-2014 Cruze stop-sale went out across dealerships this morning.

10858 Views 74 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Jim Frye
Dont have a link to the TSB at the moment if someone wants to link it. But a Dealership stop sale has been ordered on 2013-2014 Cruzes for possible defective driver side airbag component. Hopefully more details soon.
Reactions: Tomko
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

· Little Purple Title
831 Posts
What if my ignition fails and my car shuts off then my axle brakes and I hit a wall and my airbag throws metal in my face?

Please, I wish, I could use the money!

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
So is the only way to see if your Cruze is being recalled is to call the day dealership or wait for a letter?
From what I've read, GM may not have figured out which VIN numbers are affected yet and that is the reason for the stop sell order. They don't want any more to get out until they figure out which vehicles are carrying the incorrectly assembled driver side air bags. They're piling up at the assembly plant too, I'll bet. Patience and very defensive driving are needed now.

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
What if my ignition fails and my car shuts off then my axle brakes and I hit a wall and my airbag throws metal in my face?

Not to worry. If your Cruze has one of the bad air bags, it won't deploy at all in an accident.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey everyone,

I know this may seem frustrating for you all 2013-2014 Cruze owners, but I would be happy to answer anyone's questions in a private message. We are slowly getting information daily, so I will do my best to provide to you all some sort of info!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

5,722 Posts
So is the only way to see if your Cruze is being recalled is to call the day dealership or wait for a letter?

Hey Ringhale,

After the VINs are associated, I will be happy to look into this for you. If your vehicle is associated, you will receive a letter from GM indicating that parts are available before taking it into your dealership.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
That is horrible. She lost her left eye over the CRUZE by allegedly bumping the car in front of her. From someone who almost was smashed to death by a Semi with glass exploding into my eye and throat a few moths ago, I hope her results are positive! It was one thing being afraid of the axle, another with these 10 bombs that can explode now?

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts

1 - even with the ignition off you can still steer and brake with very little effort. I know, I've tested this. The Cruze performs extremely well in Forced Auto Stop scenerios.

2 - The half axle shaft isn't the axle. It's the drive shaft that rotates around the axle. Failure of this part simply deprives the drive wheels of torque. The car will coast to a stop.

3 - There is no exposed metal between you and any of the 10 air bags. I'd be more worried about the plastic hitting my glasses and shattering them. (EDIT: I just read the article about the lost eye and frankly, Takata should be shut down.)

5,722 Posts
Hey everyone,

Here are some updates regarding the recall. VINs have been loaded into our system as of yesterday. The stop sale has now been lifted for most vehicle in dealer stock, and we are building our plan to repair customer's vehicles. Please PM me if you would like me to check any of your VINS (2013-2014 models) or if any of you have any questions!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Registered
39 Posts
my wife's didn't go off.... she was rear ended (not a deployment factor) but then was slammed into the vehicle in front of her....bent her seat and the steering wheel when she struck the car in . I would have though with the extreme frontal damage it would have deployed...

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
my wife's didn't go off.... she was rear ended (not a deployment factor) but then was slammed into the vehicle in front of her....bent her seat and the steering wheel when she struck the car in . I would have though with the extreme frontal damage it would have deployed...
That's one of the problems with the Cruze driver's side air bag. The bag may not deploy if the contacts are shorted by touching a bar in the assembly. This can happen in an impact such as the one your wife was in. This is due to the wrong part being used in the air bag assembly by the manufacturer (Takata). If this were my car, I'd be filling out a complaint with NHTSA.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/

· Premium Member
439 Posts
Received My 2013-2014 Cruze Recall Notice

I received my "Important Safety Recall" notice today via FedEx Saturday delivery. It does in fact say that all 2013 and 2014 Chevy Cruzes are involved because of faulty air bags. The IMPORTANT block says:

• This notice applies to your 2013-2014 Chevrolet Cruze
  • Your vehicle is involved in GM safety recall 14305
  • Schedule an appointment with your Chevrolet Dealer as soon as possible
  • This service will be performed for you at no charge
  • You should make arrangements to bring your vehicle in as soon as possible due to the increased risk of injury associated with this recall during a crash.

It says this: Why is your vehicle being recalled?

"The inflator in the driver's front airbag may rupture and/or the airbag may not inflate during airbag deployment. If this occurs the rupture could propel metal pieces of the inflator in the vehicle cabin possibly striking and seriously injuring the driver or other vehicle occupants. Additionally, if the inflator does not inflate, there is an increased risk of injury to the driver."

Under, "What should you do?" it says: "You may continue using your vehicle as the condition is possible only during airbag deployment. If you have concerns about the continued use of your vehicle before the repair can be completed, there is the availability of shuttle serve as well as courtesy transportation at no charge."

What does this mean? I think it says you aren't in any danger unless you crash your car...duh?

I went immediately to my dealership and being Saturday, the service area closed at noon. However, my favorite salesman said they were not allowed to sell any Cruze on the lot...new or used. He said the same for one of the small SUVs and all Camaros. The Camaros have a key issue wherein someone jerked their knee up to the dash board and hit the key with their knee shutting the engine off????

I think we have to be careful not to jump to conclusions about GM. I doubt seriously that GM manufactures air bags...I am quite sure they're supplied by another vendor (not surprised if they aren't made in China). If so, I would not blame GM entirely for the problem even though I'm sure they were required to test them and should have found the problem. Of course, all of that is conjecture, but when they do my recall and replace my air bag, I'm going to ask them to tell me where the air bag was manufactured. When I Googled it, I found that some GM airbags are manufactured by Takata a company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.

· Premium Member
368 Posts
I received my "Important Safety Recall" notice today via FedEx Saturday delivery. It does in fact say that all 2013 and 2014 Chevy Cruzes are involved because of faulty air bags.
What's the letter's verbiage that states "all" 2013 and 2014's are involved? Reports are either 29,000 or 33,000 Cruzen, which is like 10% of 13/14's on the road in the US.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I think we have to be careful not to jump to conclusions about GM. I doubt seriously that GM manufactures air bags...I am quite sure they're supplied by another vendor (not surprised if they aren't made in China). If so, I would not blame GM entirely for the problem even though I'm sure they were required to test them and should have found the problem. Of course, all of that is conjecture, but when they do my recall and replace my air bag, I'm going to ask them to tell me where the air bag was manufactured. When I Googled it, I found that some GM airbags are manufactured by Takata a company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
The airbags were made by Takata, a Japanese company. Honda just recalled over 3 million of their cars world wide because of this same issue. Toyota is also recalling cars, but I don't know the number or geographic scope of their cars.

The reason all the Cruze in the time period are being recalled is because of the way the Lordstown assembly plant runs. There is a single 20.5 mile long assembly line and the parts from various manufacturers come in and get mixed together at each assembly station. Thus GM must recall all the cars during the time they were receiving faulty components from Takata and each car must be inspected to identify which cars need to have parts replaced. This, by the way, is also why all the Cruze manufactured during the faulty axle half shaft must be inspected as well.

From public comments by Mary Barra I suspect most, if not all of GM's assembly plants work the same way.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.