Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post similar to this from last year but it looks like it is dead. The first time I drive my car in the morning I back it down the driveway with the wheels pointed to the left. When I pull out and the wheels move back to centerline there is an audible thunk from the front. To me it sounds like something binds up and it won't happen again in normal driving.

The other post mentioned that this could be the brake pads readjusting themselves but not really anything else. Is this a known quirk of the Cruze or something I should take to the dealer? The car has already been at the dealer almost a month to get the tranny replaced right after I bought it so I am not wanting to go back unless I have to.

If it is just a quirk or something that isn't harming the car, I can live with it. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I forgot to mention. The thunk occurs when the wheels are turning back to center and at this point I am just slowly coasting in neutral with no brake application. I can feel the thunk in the steering wheel, not harshly but just enough so you can feel it.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
What speed do you hear the thump? 12 MPH? If so, it's just the ABS self-test.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TBH I never looked at the speedo but it is definitely slow. Tomorrow morning I am going to try it at a complete stop and if that doesn't work I'll notate the speed and report back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call j, it happened at exactly 12 mph! You have saved me untold hours of waiting on the dealer telling me they can't hear the problem.

Much appreciated sir!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car does the exact same thing at 12! Dealership told me the same thing but why the heck is it so loud?! Like is the noise really necessary?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
My car does the exact same thing at 12! Dealership told me the same thing but why the heck is it so loud?! Like is the noise really necessary?
Yes. It pulses the ABS pump to confirm everything's working. Your car does all kinds of self-tests when starting up. This is just a louder actuating system than most other cars it seems.

My new one is either quieter, or feels like it does it at a higher speed (23-25 I think I notice it?) so you don't notice it nearly as much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts