Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My belt broke a few days ago. What all do I need to purchase to replace it and what tools ? On a tight budget so if y'all have any recommendations where I can purchase this stuff fairly reasonable as well that would be great! Just replaced the manifold, thermostat,turbo, water pump and some kind of outlet coolant or inlet hoses within the past 9 months. This car is always doing something 馃槕 thanks

Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
What all do I need to purchase to replace it and what tools ?
Just basic tools. A metric socket set, and wrenches. The motor mount will need to be removed, so you should support the engine during the belt change will a jack (or something).

have any recommendations where I can purchase this stuff fairly reasonable
I buy most all of my car parts on Rockauto or Amazon. If you don't really know what to buy, use Rockauto they provide info to help you buy the right stuff. The belt itself should cost about $20. And because the belts aren't special, you can buy them most places without being ripped-off.
The tools and such I'd recommend just going to a local farm supply or just go to Wally world.

Bonus advice:
Don't NOT over tighten the engine mounts bolts.
Check all the pulleys for freedom of movement. Just incase the belt broke not just from age.
The money you spend on tools will be a fraction of an hours labor charge a mechanic gets, so just do it.

Registered
The belt failure is rare, how many miles? When you had your water pump replaced the mechanic would have seen a bad belt and replaced it or he damaged it/installed wrong/ I would talk to them. The install is not difficult, but as the guys above said, you need to remove the motor mount, which means holding the oil pan up with a wood block and jack. Hold it in place, do not jack it up and overload it. You'll need an etorx socket (external/female) for the tensioner. Route the belt properly, turn the tensioner clockwise, then connect the last of the belt to the alternator. The 3 motor mount bolts to the engine bracket need to be replaced, they are TTY bolts. Get them at a chevy dealer. Torque them to spec. If you never did this before, get help from someone that is handy. Not a difficult job, but no room for error.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts