Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Chevy Cruze has just hit 100k and it’s had a lot of issues recently. I had to replace my thermostat housing and water outlet due to leaks and it was draining my coolant.
Now the car has had pretty good oil leaks and I replaced the valve cover with PCV and took it to the shop to get the intake manifold replaced. I drove it once since the shop and there seems to be a pretty good leak from the manifold area again. Can this be a different issue than the intake manifold or could it be a bad part or service? Are there any special coverages or recalls for the intake manifold?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,239 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The only extended coverage is for the valve cover. I'll post a few links on the topic if you want to read them for the full explanation.

I'll give you an abridged version. Generally what happens is the PCV check valve in the intake manifold fails first. That allows boost into parts of the engine that it shouldn’t be. Then after awhile that caused various oil seals, gaskets, and/or the diaphragm inside the valve cover to rupture.

More Information:

Reactions: Thebigzeus

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The valve cover and intake manifold are both new parts that were just replaced. Any idea why it would still be causing that extra pressure and oil to start leaking?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,239 Posts
The valve cover and intake manifold are both new parts that were just replaced. Any idea why it would still be causing that extra pressure and oil to start leaking?
My guess is what happened is that the seals/gaskets/o-rings became ruptured before the repairs were complete and you're just now noticing the leaks. Sometimes you can drive around for months with a faulty intake manifold check valve and not know anything is wrong until additional damage, (ie. ruptured seals/ gaskets/o-rings/valve cover diaphragm), is done.

Reactions: Thebigzeus

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,219 Posts
My guess is what happened is that the seals/gaskets/o-rings became ruptured before the repairs were complete and you're just now noticing the leaks. Sometimes you can drive around for months with a faulty intake manifold check valve and not know anything is wrong until additional damage, (ie. ruptured seals/ gaskets/o-rings/valve cover diaphragm), is done.
Correct, this happened to me, needed a new crank seal as well as two camshaft sensor seals after PCV system was fixed. The seals were blown out and warped.

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT Auto
12 Posts
Sometimes the valve cover gasket pops out of its channel on the bottom of the valve cover and gets pinched between the cover and the head. This will cause a pretty big oil leak. It always seems to be the back side of the valve cover. Just pop the little "ECOTEC" cover off and visually inspect to see if the gasket popped out on install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts