Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Chevy Cruze... Same issue with the coolant. Water pump and reservoir replaced by dealer, started leaking again after 5,000 miles. Found another crack in new reservoir and replaced that. Still leaking, put dye into system and found a small seal leaking. Wife forgot to put coolant in one morning now I have a seized motor with coolant in 2 cylinders. 120,00 miles and still paying off. Picked up a Mazda, never again buying a Chevy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your experience OP. I feel you paid. My 2013 LT faced coolant issues as well. There ended up being an issue with the water pump and the dealership said there was no recall for it. I got it fixed at a mechanic I trust and, luckily, I was able to get a VERY helpful Chevy representative on the phone to get reimbursed for the water pump replacement. The leak came back and I was told it was due to the reservoir having a small crack. Got that fixed and they told me there was still a leak in a hose. I didn't get it fixed again after that, choosing to just monitor the coolant level myself. I completely understand why you would stay away from Chevy due to this car. It's fun to drive though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have to agree with the OP, chevy and GM in general seem to make poor quality cars today, they also seem to not really know what their customers wants. I have a 2014 Cruze LT 1.4T auto trans, and the car has been a nightmare since the first month. this was my first brand new car purchase and it has turned me off of modern GM vehicles and brand new cars altogether. Ive owned the car just over 4 years and it has 45,000ish miles. My first year i had a plethora of items replaced under warranty- both headlights due to plastic pieces inside falling apart, shifter due to having no lock between gears(could shift the car through all gears without using the button), rear doorlock, along with a few other small things i dont quite remeber. Second year was both battery cables failing causing my car to leave me sit and not have any radio for a 3 and a half hour car ride. third year the negative battery cable went again, and the battery died leaving me sit yet again, when i stopped at the dealer after being jumped i was told i could leave the car with them and walk home( they apparently could not swap the battery for 4+ days and had no loaners or shuttle service), finally i was left sitting again when my oil pump blew to pieces for no apparent reason, i was interrogated by chevy at the dealer and on the phone( they requested my oil changes papers, i always change my oil early and use high quality synthetic, this showed when the dealer pulled my engine apart and said it was spotless), the cherry on top of the third year is both of my chevy emblems falling off and my tires being worn out at only 35,000 miles. fourth year just started in august and ive already had two major unresolved issues, first is my passenger floor filling with water despite the fact that i have checked the drain and cleared the cowl of any debris and second is my engine developing a knock. when my oil pump went i was pushing for an entire engine replacement as i was concerned about longevity, since the oil pump issue i have experienced on and off massive power loss(as in pedal to the floor for 20 seconds only gaining about 5-10MPH, and not being able to get above 50mph) and poor MPG, when i contacted the dealer i was informed i would be charged to have it checked despite my warranty and that if the check engine light was not on that there was no issue.

The worst part of all this is that the car really isnt to bad all around, it handles well, has OKay power, interior is nice, the car stand out from the cookie cutter honda/toyota crap, i could even handle the piss poor quality of everything( easily chipped windshield, shitty paint and clearcoat, steering wheel worn) if the car would just stay running, in four years of ownership it has left me sit three times. My previous car never let me sit and had 65000 miles when i bought it, and i beat the **** out of it, despite that i sold it with 117000 miles and it still ran like a beast.

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
I have to agree with the OP, chevy and GM in general seem to make poor quality cars today, they also seem to not really know what their customers wants. I have a 2014 Cruze LT 1.4T auto trans, and the car has been a nightmare since the first month. this was my first brand new car purchase and it has turned me off of modern GM vehicles and brand new cars altogether. Ive owned the car just over 4 years and it has 45,000ish miles. My first year i had a plethora of items replaced under warranty- both headlights due to plastic pieces inside falling apart, shifter due to having no lock between gears(could shift the car through all gears without using the button), rear doorlock, along with a few other small things i dont quite remeber. Second year was both battery cables failing causing my car to leave me sit and not have any radio for a 3 and a half hour car ride. third year the negative battery cable went again, and the battery died leaving me sit yet again, when i stopped at the dealer after being jumped i was told i could leave the car with them and walk home( they apparently could not swap the battery for 4+ days and had no loaners or shuttle service), finally i was left sitting again when my oil pump blew to pieces for no apparent reason, i was interrogated by chevy at the dealer and on the phone( they requested my oil changes papers, i always change my oil early and use high quality synthetic, this showed when the dealer pulled my engine apart and said it was spotless), the cherry on top of the third year is both of my chevy emblems falling off and my tires being worn out at only 35,000 miles. fourth year just started in august and ive already had two major unresolved issues, first is my passenger floor filling with water despite the fact that i have checked the drain and cleared the cowl of any debris and second is my engine developing a knock. when my oil pump went i was pushing for an entire engine replacement as i was concerned about longevity, since the oil pump issue i have experienced on and off massive power loss(as in pedal to the floor for 20 seconds only gaining about 5-10MPH, and not being able to get above 50mph) and poor MPG, when i contacted the dealer i was informed i would be charged to have it checked despite my warranty and that if the check engine light was not on that there was no issue.

The worst part of all this is that the car really isnt to bad all around, it handles well, has OKay power, interior is nice, the car stand out from the cookie cutter honda/toyota crap, i could even handle the piss poor quality of everything( easily chipped windshield, shitty paint and clearcoat, steering wheel worn) if the car would just stay running, in four years of ownership it has left me sit three times. My previous car never let me sit and had 65000 miles when i bought it, and i beat the **** out of it, despite that i sold it with 117000 miles and it still ran like a beast.
Well that's a pretty frank and honest post. The Cruze is the modern day Chevy Vega, both made in the same factory. Mine also being a 2014 minus any of the problems with 20,000 miles. Would I get another GM product, probably not but it is possible

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ill throw my $0.02 into this thread for some positive feedback. I had a 2015 LT and in 3.5 years and 47,000 miles never was in the shop for warranty work. Just oil changes and 1 set of new tires (The OEM tires were junk). The only thing that stopped it was my youngest son rear ending another car - insurance totaled it............so I just came home with a new 2018 Premier.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have had a decent amount of warranty work done since I purchased my car at 51k miles. Once the weak links have been addressed under warranty it has only been oil changes and tires though. All the problems I have had have been well documented (Manual trans, water pump, water outlet, oil feed turbo line). The only issue I have had to pay out of pocket was a new coil and connector end that I installed. I can't say I would buy a new vehicle though that only has a 5yr/60k mile warranty. Too many issues I had replaced after the 60k mark that I shouldn't be paying for. When I buy next it'll be a certified pre-owned that extends the powertrain warranty out to 6yr/100k miles.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
With the OP's logic, and a couple other haters, the auto industry will go bankrupt within about 10 years because people will stop buying cars from manufacturers of cars that have an unexpected breakdown. Mercedes and BMW will be first to go, followed by Fiat, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and every other car maker out there. Bottom line is that cars aren't made the way they used to be. They're built with cheap parts and break down more often. I've owned VW, Mazda, Toyota, Chevy, GMC, and Pontiac vehicles in my lifetime ... and I can say that EVERY ONE of the cars has had some issue or another ... EXCEPT for my 2013 Chevy Volt, and hopefully now too, my 2018 Volt. I had problems with a Jetta TDI, Passat TDI, Mazda MX-6, Toyota Celica, Chevy Camaros (1986 and 2017), 2012 Cruze Eco 6MT (Clutch replacement and front struts under warranty), GMC Acadia Denali, Pontiac Grand Prix, but it didn't make me stop buying that brand. I simply purchase cars that I like and if I get a lemon, then I guess it's finally my turn and I'll get rid of it quickly. I am also lucky enough to know a GM "Master Mechanic" (although I believe their terminology is different) that is one of 12 in the entire state of Colorado ... so I've got someone that I trust to work on my vehicles now.
Sounds like the OP got taken advantage of at Century, and in all honesty OP, you probably could have taken your Cruze to the local Buick dealer in Boulder (Verano and Cruze are non-identical twins) to have it worked on. Just because it's a Chevy doesn't mean you have to take it to a Chevy dealer to have it worked on ... it could be any GM dealership, but look for one with a "GM Master Mechanic" or whatever they're called, and take your car to that dealership and ask for THAT mechanic to work on your car. I was just lucky to have one in my local area. And I'll continue to be a GM family owner for years to come ... as long as I'm the one buying the cars. Best of luck with whatever you choose to purchase to replace your Cruze, and hopefully, it will be trouble free longer that 65k miles, Because I don't think there is such a thing as a trouble free car anymore ... no matter what badge it wears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I completely sympathize with the original poster. I actually stepped away from GM for over 10 years after my ex and I bought a new GMC Envoy. That vehicle was an absolute nightmare to own and after 10+ issues (that I fully admit were repaired under warranty) we traded it for a Lexus 330 that required a grand total of zero repairs in 200K miles. In those 10 years I owned both Hondas and Toyotas and found them to be stone cold reliable and in the case of the Hondas very easy to mod and work on with just a bit of creativity. However my son got a 2013 GMC Sierra that changed my mind about GM products. It has been a very solid piece, pulls hard, tows better than my '93 one-ton with a mild 454, and gets 19-20 on the highway. After this experience and after some research I felt the Cruze was a solid choice.
I think a lot of your frustration is with mechanics and I am sorry you have had to go through this ordeal. In my experience a large number of mechanics are either incompetent or fraudulent (or a combination of both). It seems many of them are just parts changers that have no troubleshooting ability. I also understand that mechanical ability differs greatly from person to person and that many are at their mercy. I think one is prudent to join forums and do some research on the issues; if you are having an issue it is very likely others have had the same issue and someone has solved it. If you are armed with even a bit of knowledge about the problem you are less likely to be preyed upon. Doing your own work on cars (even modern ones) is not as hard and scary as people tend to think it is. If you have to use a mechanic ask around and get others thoughts and experience with them. I know of a couple of shops that I would use if I absolutely had to, they are not close to me and have a waiting list but I would use them if I had to.
Good luck to you and I hope you are able to work through your problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, OP, I'm sorry about the issues you're having. I completely understand where you're coming from and I get that you are now turned off to the GM brand. I spent a lot of years in car dealers because both of my parents worked for them and naturally when I went to work, that's where I went too. I started off with Lexus and went to some other places over the years but to be honest, when I go into a Chevrolet dealer they always feel shady. I have no idea why but they just feel like the typical sleazy car dealer. I would say that you may be better served to find a reputable independent shop and stick with them because the way the dealers are would turn just about anyone off.

That said, hopefully you can resolve these issues, whether you choose to buy from GM again or not isn't the point, the point is that you have purchased from them and you need to get your money's worth. These cars are $20k, so going 65,000 miles and having a useless car is inexcusable, IMO. I just got mine about 2 weeks ago with 92k on the clock and I have put about 2k on it since (traveling salesman) and so far it's been trouble free except for a noise coming from the alternator that the dealer is going to replace under their 1,000 mile warranty that covers all cars that they sell. However, this thread does make me nervous, I have to have that car to work, if it goes down, I'm in trouble. I bought the manual version because A. I wanted a manual, and B. They are generally more reliable that automatics but seeing here that the manual is a known problem isn't very comforting. I'm also good, for now, on the cooling system, I hope that remains the case.

One last thing, my last vehicle was a 2003 BMW 330i and while the mechanical side was very solid everything else about that car was completely unreliable. I could almost always count on it starting and running, except when the fuel pump went but the windows didn't work properly, the sunroof, the door locks, the headliner was falling, the trim pieces fell off, on and on. I decided to go with this car for the fuel economy and the low cost of repair. I feel that BMW is the easiest car in the world to work on because they literally design them to be that way but, it's pricey, even doing your own work the parts are very spendy. I'm hoping that I can go problem free with the Cruze and if something happens I will actually be able to afford the parts. I turn my own wrenches so that isn't as much of a concern. I wasn't even looking at GM when I got this car, we have a 2013 Ford explorer that has been rock solid with NO problems over 3 years and 40k miles (60k when purchased now almost 100k) and I was looking at the fiesta ST but they wanted to be stupid about their financing so I went back to looking and this car popped up and it is immaculate, manual, and black on black which is what i wanted so, I took a chance. I have always owned GM up until the Bimmer and I have been disappointed with their level of quality over the years, from the 89 Firebird to the 97 sunfire the cars were literal junk. I didn't want to go back to GM because of that but this one is nice. I like the interior and the drive quality but I can see cheap parts everywhere. Hopefully that doesn't bite me, I have payments on this thing and my job depends on it so, it HAS to work.. That's why I'm on the forum here so that I can learn the in's and out's and be able to anticipate and tackle any issues before they become big problems.

Anyway, good luck with your cruze, hopefully everything works out for you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah I’d get rid of it. I have the same car I bought mine at 64,000 miles I now have 95,000 miles and I do most of the work myself this car is really a pos. I’m having to work on it monthly and I take care of my stuff. I use only the best products and this car is nothing but trouble. But good luck to you

·
10,686 Posts
A moderator that isn't a die hard Chevy yes man. I appreciate your honesty and decency good sir.
That's how the mod team is drawn. Some forums haven't grasp that cars can break and dealerships can be the worst experience of your ownership man woman or whatever is the 2018 thing is to be. They go in and delete anything that sheds a bad light on the car. If we took that approach here there would be 0 negative cable post or coolant smell leak post to search for.

Is Chevy the only manufacturer that does the predatory practice on lower-income buyers? No. Of course not. But, that does not justify the Chevy's choices to participate in the practice, nor their sloth in addressing the issues. It also doesn't justify berrating the OP as some of the earlier commenters had, for voicing discontent at being a victim of this practice. Discontent shared by thousands of other Cruze owners, based on the sales volume of this car, and the ubiquity of the issues.
No lots are out there but in my personal life experiences Dodge is well up there. It took me about 75K miles to ditch my 13 Eco Cruze but my brand new Neon was traded in barely 9000 miles due to dealership issues. Apparently a Best Buy radio install was the cause for a right rear drum locking up and a slew of other idiotic things. Meanwhile I got GM to replace radio speakers around 58K miles under extended warranty but couldn't justify it on the radio that barely works from 12k miles up to trade in. My current car is a Honda but it doesn't break much. My dealership issues are now them wanting $80-$140 oil changes on a 4 cylinder non turbo non Acura. The last time I had the change oil message I bit my lip and made the appointment. I work too many hours to do it and Hondas literally count how many miles you drove past the oil change light. being a lease and every car I have had breaks catastrophically I accepted the price. I go there and they literally had the doors to service locked so we couldn't get into spend that $80. They just walked around as we called and didn't even inquire why I didn't "show up." I just get the generic you car may need service schedule an appointment emails. As least with GM OnStar literally told them my miles and they had a legit idea when they asked for me to come in.

OP,

Sounds like a Craigslist beater for the time being if you do or don't feel it's worth fixing your car. GM's major flaws aren't always the car, lots of times they have a simple fix but the dealerships tend to take the shortcut easy route and make a 1 time job a reoccurring thing. Then you have the ones who shortcut and still charge the diagnostic fee anyways. For me and my 13 the list was about as long or even longer but they all happened early in the ownership. Luckily I was around here 96% of my ownership and seen what all goes wrong with the fixes so I could be like PI 0000 and TSB 00000 is what you might want to look at for this case. After the tech turnover started getting out of hand there was no history of me giving them a direction to look and they do it. I'd be like this is leaking air and shouldn't be leaking air and their reply is "no CEL, its fine". Dead red cat later I got it replaced at the end of extended warranty and traded the car in. If the dealerships were better I would have gladly stayed in the GM family.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Haha. This is my first brand new car and it has been to the dealership 4 times in the first year for issues. Twice for loosing, Bad harmonic balancer, bad purge valve, oil pan was leaking in 2 different places within the bumper to bumper warranty and the only people who have touched this car is the dealership on all maintenance. My dealership offered 2 year free maintenance on the cruze which was just oil changes and multi point inspections. My first 4 oil changes were free. All these issues within the first year... you cant blame wear and tear and improper maintenance with my documented service records well in range by the dealer. It's kind of a lemon but not. Bad design and cheap parts...the longevity is not there.

Now the car is leaking oil from the valve cover, throttle body, harmonic balancer area/water pump area. The tensioner is greasy and black. I have white water like stains in my engine bay from coolant leaks that I'm keeping to show Chevy the coolant is leaking and I'm not draining it. They refilled my tank and drove around and detected no change in coolant level and said no actions needed What's funny is in the paperwork they said they filled the reservoir back to fill....at least some proof coolant was low when I brought it in both times lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
The vehicle just reached 56k miles and has numerous leaks in numerous locations and I'm still paying on the car for another 3 years....

Looking forward to the infamous pvc valve leak/burst dist that is very common problem with these cars.

It's fun to drive, but get rid of it after warranty or deal with constant repairs and frustration. Might as well be a gas guzzler when you factor in the time and $$ to keep it going.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The vehicle just reached 56k miles and has numerous leaks in numerous locations and I'm still paying on the car for another 3 years....

Though this hasn't costed me $$ to chevy yet, its costed me time, gas, missing work etc and now I have a list of things going on and not in warranty anymore... lord have mercy... lotta problems for a new car. We will see what the dealership says on these new issues and if they will cover any of my coolant problems I was telling them about earlier within the bumper to bumper.

The outcome of this diagnosis(which i have to pay) and if they will help me out or leave me flying a kite will determine if GM will be in my future for a vehicle.

In the past I've owned a 96 civic at 60k miles drove to 180k... regular maintenance and still ran good.

99 Altima from 79k to 220k...same as the civic but 2 wheel bearings went bad, that was it....

And the gas mileage wasn't far off from the cruze...20 years older and way more reliable.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
24 Participants
Shroomie
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing