Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning group,

Our 2013 Cruze had a problem back at Christmas time where the brake lights stayed on overnight, killing the battery. We replaced the brake positioning sensor, had it calibrated, and things were good until Wednesday night this week. Got up the next morning, same thing, battery was dead. Put the battery charger on last night and the brake lights were stuck on again! I disconnected the battery, so it could charge without the brake lights trying to drain it at the same time.

This morning, reconnected the battery and the lights are off. As these things become more and more complicated, I am sensing that what controls the brake lights is a function of the brake positioning sensor, and not the sensor itself.

Is there a relay or another module that the sensor sends a voltage to in order for the brake lights to turn on? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses so far, I tried to pull up on the brake pedal and there was no movement in the "up" or no brake position, however we could push down, tried that combination several times, no luck with the lights turning out, and the pedal will not go any further up. I disconnected the battery last night, even though the battery was already dead, as I did not want to charge the battery and have my charger also illuminate the brake lights at the same time. This was after I verified the brake lights were why the battery was drained, they turned on as soon as I connected up my charger to the battery.

This morning I reconnected the battery and the brake lights were off, I depressed the brake pedal several time to verify the brake lights turn on and off as expected, for now. That's why I am wondering if the power to the actual lights comes through a relay and perhaps that relay is sticking intermittently? The six terminals on the brake positioning sensor are so small I can't imagine the brake lights get the power directly through that sensor. I could be mistake but that makes the most sense to me, that there is perhaps a relay involved somewhere.

Or maybe the positioning sensor is not calibrated correctly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update, the brake linkage was sticking intermittently! Thanks to ChevyGuy for pointing at a mechanical issue rather than an electrical issue. It is amazing the amount of knowledge there is on these forums, Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was some corrosion causing the linkage to stick, but not all of the time, cleaning and lubrication seems to have taken care of it. Thanks again for the pointer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.