Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

After many years away from domestic cars I decided to try chevy again and am not exactly off to a great start. I picked up a 2013 6spd Cruze with 35k miles on it and within the first week had to have the entire tranny replaced because of metal shavings in the fluid.

So after that, I've noticed that the clutch pedal is now making a weird rattle/clunk when pressed down to the stop. Didn't do this before the tranny change. It happens if the car is off or running.

Is this normal for the car or should I suck it up and go back to the dealer again? My concern is getting stuck with a bill because I don't believe the clutch falls under the power train warranty and I've read that it could possibly be caused by crappy plastic/ design of the pedal mechanism. And that the dash has to come out to dix it lol.

I really like the car but these issues are starting to make me doubt buying it.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
When they changed the transmission, they did something wrong. This isn't normal. Yeah, take it back and have them fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol ****. I can almost feel my wife's "I told you so" stare now. I have owned the car for just over one month and drove it a total of six days with the rest in a loaner while mine was worked on. I'm starting to miss my Honda with 200k on it lol.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lol ****. I can almost feel my wife's "I told you so" stare now. I have owned the car for just over one month and drove it a total of six days with the rest in a loaner while mine was worked on. I'm starting to miss my Honda with 200k on it lol.
Sounds like they didn't do a good job with the transmission replacement, not sure if that has anything to do with the Cruze without knowing the root cause.

Sucks you shafted with problems off the bat. I got a 2013 with 22k miles, now have 38k no issues and it is tuned and beat to **** (heck) like I am purposefully trying to break it beat on, I am running the Manual gearbox. In the Fall, my close friend picked up a 2014 automatic, and he loves it no issues so far.

·
17,486 Posts
Sucks you shafted with problems off the bat. I got a 2013 with 22k miles, now have 38k no issues and it is tuned and beat to **** (heck) like I am purposefully trying to break it beat on, I am running the Manual gearbox.
Careful - the flywheels are fragile, as are the transmission bearings.

If you haven't changed the fluid yet, or aren't sure that it's filled properly, now would be a good time to do it. Synchomesh or a 75W-90 fluid (see threads elsewhere on the forum) are recommended over the GM stuff, and you'll need 2.5 qts. Correct fill level will (we think) keep the 5-6 shaft bearings alive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since they installed a new tranny would chevy have filled the fluid to the new levels? I really like the design and features of the first gen Cruze ( I had a 2017 Cruze as a loaner and I thought it looked like a weird Honda Civic) and I hope that this is just a few teething problems. I can't afford for something major to go to crap.

·
17,486 Posts
Since they installed a new tranny would chevy have filled the fluid to the new levels? I really like the design and features of the first gen Cruze ( I had a 2017 Cruze as a loaner and I thought it looked like a weird Honda Civic) and I hope that this is just a few teething problems. I can't afford for something major to go to crap.
I think it should be filled with ~2.4 qts, if they looked up the fill spec.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-g...gms-updated-m32-fluid-fill-specification.html

·
Registered
206 Posts
Careful - the flywheels are fragile, as are the transmission bearings.

If you haven't changed the fluid yet, or aren't sure that it's filled properly, now would be a good time to do it. Synchomesh or a 75W-90 fluid (see threads elsewhere on the forum) are recommended over the GM stuff, and you'll need 2.5 qts. Correct fill level will (we think) keep the 5-6 shaft bearings alive.
Thanks for sharing that insight. I expect to do a clutch soon (almost to 40k), so you're comment here is going to cost me a lot now since I can justify an aluminum flywheel with that knowledge.

I went to RP Synchromax with the higher fill level, just after purchasing the vehicle

Would not be opposed to going thicker, especially if that helps the 1-2 shift grind issue, which I have not done in a long time because I have slowed down and reduced force on that gear change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts