Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 month old 2013 chevrolet cruze 2lt. After washing it one day noticed that the passenger rear door trim around the window is already faded and peeling. Would this be covered under warranty. I am thinking of bringing it in for service next week. If so is the job difficult to remove the trim around the window/door.

thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
3 yr./36,000 mile Bumper To Bumper Warranty. Take it to the dealer. I'm dying to see what they say.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Hopefully they can replace it for you (if that's even possible) because that trim is looking rough, but if not, maybe you can look into some exterior trim restorer products and use them to fix the problem. Is the piece rubber or more like a plastic?

If you decide to tackle it yourself, some products that come to mind are Poorboy's World Trim Restorer, Meguiars Ultimate Protectant, Black WOW, MOTHERS back to black or Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not quite sure what could be the cause of the oxidation and fading so quickly. I do not wash it that much maybe once a week. I know someone who has a similar cruze and no issues. We will have to see what the dealership says

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I am not quite sure what could be the cause of the oxidation and fading so quickly. I do not wash it that much maybe once a week. I know someone who has a similar cruze and no issues. We will have to see what the dealership says
It could possibly be because these pieces weren't correctly prepped before they left the Lordstown plant or maybe these specific pieces of trim were laying around the factory for a little longer than others , but it's likely the cause of your car sitting outside and being exposed to the elements for weeks or even months before it finally got shipped out to your dealership. The beating these specific pieces could have taken during the Cruze's transportation on the train and/or car transporter truck could also be the reason.

My advise would be to go ahead and treat the rest of your Cruze's exterior rubber and plastic pieces before this problems become an issue on other parts of the car. And depending on how often you wash your car, it might be a good idea to reapply a trim protectant/restorer after every or every other car wash.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. The piece will either have to be replaced or fixed somehow. I was also thinking of possible chrome pieces to cover the rubber molding. Just a thought

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The piece will either have to be replaced or fixed somehow. I was also thinking of possible chrome pieces to cover the rubber molding. Just a thought
Yeah, doing the chrome pieces are always an option. Just make sure it won't look too cheap and cheesy first. Let us know how it goes and what they say if you take it to the dealer.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi verborad

It's Jackie, the Chevrolet Customer Care rep on the forum. Please keep me posted as well and send me a message if you have any questions about this issue or need me to contact the dealership on your behalf.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
I'm not saying it's the case - but it almost looks like car wax on the rubber.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Wax will leave a whitish haze on rubber, but it won't eat it. Unless the wax has some sort of other chemical cleaners in it that might react with the rubber/vinyl. It should not leave the patches that you can see in your first post pictures. Please post what the dealer says when you have them look at it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went over to dealership. They placed an order in could take 7-10 business days for new seal and new window to come in. Apparently because its the upper seal of the Window they need to order a new window to. My question is they are using speedy auto glass to install, will it come with GM stickers on the window. Or will that be the only window in the car without a sticker.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I can't imagine an independent glass installer like Glass Doctor or Safelite would need 7 - 10 days to get a side light for a Cruze. I'm betting it will be factory original. What is the brand name on the rest of your windows? Isn't the maker's name etched in the glass? The only glass you really need to be wary of is the windshield. The Cruze (like many others) uses a special acoustic make up on the windshield and a replacement from another company may not be as sound deadening as the original.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Results are in, after 2 weeks of waiting the job is complete. Outside looks much better buttttt the inside plastic trim are all damaged due them trying to take them off. Alot of the corners are chipped looking like someone used a screw driver or tool to yank out the trim on the door side. I lived with it so far, is that something i should complain and have them fix. not sure

1 - 20 of 41 Posts