1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Facts:
2013 Cruze LT RS
78,XXX miles
Original AC Delco battery replaced with a Duralast Platinum battery because of the issue I'm experiencing

I parked my car for a few days in short term parking at my local airport as I was going out of town a for a few days (3 days to be exact). It was raining and 5:00am when I parked my car and left it. The wipers were in the OFF position.

I get back and I notice the wipers were moving slowing across the windshield and the car battery was dead. I ask an airport worker for a jump and she says that she was waiting for me because other passengers parking their cars noticed my car's wipers have been ON for the past three days I was away.

I get the car jumped and the wipers continue to work no matter if they're in the ON, OFF or Intermittent positions. I pulled one of the wiper relays in the under hood fuse box to get the wipers to stop working so I can drive home.

I did the requisite searches online to find the answer and several threads from this forum and others say that the battery is likely at fault and should be replaced. As mentioned above, the battery was still the original AC Delco battery and it exhibited no starting and charging issues previously, but replaced it anyway with a new battery (08/16 manufacture date). I replace the battery and put back the wiper relay and the wipers are still ON even when he car is off.

I'm currently at a loss as to what the root cause is now. I've read elsewhere that it could be a faulty parking switch perhaps? I find it odd that the wipers worked perfectly with nary any indication of fault when I parked my car and then come back a few days later and now there's something wrong.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions or previous experiences with this issue on these cars? Your insight is much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE

My local Chevy dealer was able to isolate the cause of the issue as being a short within the Body Control Module (BCM) located behind the center console on the passenger side.

They quoted me a repugnant amount of money (~$450) for the part (ACDelco part # 13586273) which prompted me to purchase the same part on Rock Auto for $175 with next business day delivery. The BCM needs to be programmed in order for it to work and the dealer charged me 1.5 hours for the job ($150), which fixed the issue. So I'm happy.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Thanks for the update. I think that's one of the few times a BCM has gone bad.

Reactions: sparkman

·
Registered
589 Posts
WOW! They're going to get you either way! Even if you buy the after market part you have to pay GM to program it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW! They're going to get you either way! Even if you buy the after market part you have to pay GM to program it!
Actually, the part I purchase from Rock Auto was a new, genuine GM ACDelco part (p/n# 13586273) that was just ridiculously cheaper than the same part had I purchased it through the dealer.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Which is why some of us got GMPP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts