Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze LTZ with 38,000 miles on it. I am the original owner and so far I have had these issues with it.

1) Blind spot detection module on both sides replaced not once but twice (this is my personal fav).
2) Water Pump replaced
3) Right Axel Seal
4) Trunk Latch Button
5) Oil Pan gasket leaking (my ’94 Mustang has never had gaskets replaced, does not leak)
6) Door handle unlock button (on the outside)
7) Passenger side window regulator loose
8) Rear brake pads @ 30,000 miles
9) Rear brake seized up, plus brakes were rusted so I needed all new brakes plus rotors @ 34,000 miles
(yes 4000 miles later).
10) Yesterday I got a “service theft deterrent system”, which completely locked the car up.

The five year powertrain warranty is up in February. Should I dump this car?

Thanks for you advice.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
We live in the exact same town. I drive the same roads in the same conditions as do you.

Your brakes I suspect were improperly serviced. So that is not something to blame on the car.

As for the other things on your list they are more or less known issues. But they have all been repaired.

Going forward i would expect the blind spot sensors to require replacement at some point in the future. But I wouldn’t expect future failures aside from an HVAC fan, battery or possibly brakes again.

You may be able to buy more warranty coverage from GM. It won’t be cheap - but it will give you peace of mind.

To dump the car probably won’t net you that much on a trade. And then you’re back into a new set of snow tires and wheels, winter mats, higher insurance, etc.

But if you can’t trust the car there’s no guarantee that whatever you replace it with will be as reliable as what you already have.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
When ever I buy a new car I go with the 7 year 100k mile bumper to bumper. If your that worried I would switch to a new car a put up the 1,900 extra for a 100k warranty. It's a hard decision of its paid off or close too. But at the end of the day it's tour dice to roll

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
The nice thing about Cruzes is that parts are quite cheap.

The annoying thing about Cruzes are the numerous and inherent design flaws (water pump, PCV stuff are 100% failure rate items at some point in the car's life, and then a 100% failure rate once replaced at some point in the future again). Heard the BSM modules fail often too.

Otherwise, most of that stuff is much less common. If it has a relatively solid mechanical history, I think I'd hold on to it personally.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Common:
1) Blind spot detection module on both sides replaced not once but twice (this is my personal fav). - this is likely to be an ongoing issue.
2) Water Pump replaced - should be resolved.
4) Trunk Latch Button - should be resolved.

Not uncommon:
5) Oil Pan gasket leaking (my ’94 Mustang has never had gaskets replaced, does not leak)

Rare to uncommon:
3) Right Axel Seal
6) Door handle unlock button (on the outside)
7) Passenger side window regulator loose
8) Rear brake pads @ 30,000 miles
9) Rear brake seized up, plus brakes were rusted so I needed all new brakes plus rotors @ 34,000 miles
(yes 4000 miles later).
10) Yesterday I got a “service theft deterrent system”, which completely locked the car up.

Other than the PVC system I don't think there's any common issues that would be covered by powertrain.

One thing I didn't see listed: new battery. If you're still on the original, that's going to go anytime now. I've already replaced mine.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the Blind Spot Detection modules, have any of you put silicon or some kind of sealant around the connections of this module? I do not know if this would be a good idea or bad. Or even possibly dielectric grease.

A thread that I had back in February about this issue, some were suggesting this.

And yes, I still have the original battery. The batteries in all new cars do not last as long as they used to. I had a battery last 12 years in my old car.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
This forum was one of the major factors in my decision this year to buy a used ‘14 Cruze. It’s reassuring to know whatever issue comes up I’ll have the benefit of this resource to remedy the situation. When my water pump failed the week after I got the car I began to have doubts, especially when it took over 2 weeks in the shop waiting for a part. But, patience paid off as the car has been flawless for the 10,000+ miles since.

I don’t know if you should or shouldn’t change cars, that really depends on many factors like driving requirements, finances, new model innovations, personal preference. Remember moving to another car comes with costs too.

A new car comes with sales tax, increased annual registration fees, finance charges (unless paying cash or 0% interest), potentially increased insurance cost. Going with a used car will defray some of these costs but like @Tomko said there’s no guarantee that the replacement vehicle won’t have problems too.

On the other hand, having to be without a car several days every other month ain’t fun either. So, weigh out your options and whatever the decision it will be the right one as long as you do your homework first.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a lot of it is just luck. My ex had (or has?) a 2012 Cruze Eco (she bought new). It had over 43,000 miles on it (more than mine). The only problem she had in that 43,000 miles was the trunk latch. Also if I remember the steering wheel was making a squeaking noise, but that was fixed. Ironically she bought the extended warranty, I did not.

I think next time those blind spot sensors go, I am going to purchase the modules myself and install them (they look really easy to install like one minute). Hopefully the dealership will program them, and not charge me for five hours of labor.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
With the Blind Spot Detection modules, have any of you put silicon or some kind of sealant around the connections of this module?

If you can figure out how the moisture is getting into the unit, I'd certainly try something. It could be the connector, or it could be a seam.

Remember moving to another car comes with costs too.
Not the least of which is that with low gas prices, compact cars are not as desirable as they used to be. That's on top of the glut of used cars from the rush to buy new cars a few years ago when the economy started to ease up. Used car prices are really down. You might want to check Kelly Blue Book to get an idea of what it's worth now.

Reactions: Rivergoer
1 - 9 of 9 Posts