Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I noticed there is a "new" 1.4T engine as well as a new Automatic transmission for the ECO AT.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The image links for the new colors and the ordering info jscript are broken. Is this page supposed to be on the dev side?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...looks like the "old" 1.4LT (LUJ) engine has been replaced by a "new" version of itself, the 1.4LT (LUV) engine currently used in the Sonics.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
...looks like the "old" 1.4LT (LUJ) engine has been replaced by a "new" version of itself, the 1.4LT (LUV) engine currently used in the Sonics.

Wonder what differences there is between the two? One could speculate that since the LUV engine was used in the cheaper car first it was something to do with manufacturing cost savings more than any actual improvements.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Anyone else see the LS model gets a new automatic trans? Always heard the auto was worse on the 1.8L, guess GM has issued a fix. MH9 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Wonder what differences there is between the two? One could speculate that since the LUV engine was used in the cheaper car first it was something to do with manufacturing cost savings more than any actual improvements.
Oh great, I hope that's not the case!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
FWIW, the MH9 is stouter version of the MH8 and is probably needed to cope with the combination of 1.8L's HP coming in at higher engine RPM's and the lowered 3.72:1 final drive ratio for better FE.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Unfortunately, the few things that it still doesn't look like the 2013 Cruzes will have (at least not initially) are the bigger turbo engine we all wanted, the shark fin antenna, the interior trunk release button, and a lit glove box. To me that is still disappointing but maybe they can/will add those and other features later in 2013 as cars sometimes get a "refresh" in the middle of their release. However I love and appreciate that Chevy gave the 2013 1LT Cruzes the ability to add all the new electronic and safety features that the higher level cruzes get either standard or optional. Thanks GM/Chevy for that at least! Maybe my 5 pg letter to them did some good! Very encouraging to say the least!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Very disappointed here.
They kept the crappy 1.8L engine that routinely gets panned. They didn't improve the 1.4L T at all (no DI) and still don't have a bigger engine option (they could have used the 2.4L from the Verano).
There seems to be a touchscreen standard. I could never understand why anyone would want a touchscreen on a dashboard (the touchscreen ATMs suck) and it should be optional IMO. That's a deal breaker right there.
They took the Z Link off the LT1 unless you get the RS package, Therefore you have to pay extra to get the Z Link on the LT1 and even if you don't want the firmer suspension.
No seat improvements (still no lumbar controls)
Black plastic C Pillar remains blotting the side view with cheap plastic.

So, good news for folks that love techno goodies, bad news for those looking for improvements in driveability (this is a car, right?), comfort and looks.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
SUMMARY: 2013 Cruze technical-gimmickery advances while its technical-advancements languish for yet another year.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Direct injection is coming, likely not until MY2014 though. Nice to see that the LS now has cruise control. It seems silly to even offer a car without it anymore.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm now deciding whether to go for a 2012 or wait until 2014. Although I assume the 2014 would also have touchscreen standard which would make me want to avoid it. With my luck all cars will adopt this annoying feature

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
So are the 2013 Cruze 1LT's getting the sport tuned suspension? The Z-link thing now only comes with the RS package instead of it being standard like it was for the 2012's, whether or not you got the RS package

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Very disappointed here.They kept the crappy 1.8L engine that routinely gets panned. They didn't improve the 1.4L T at all (no DI) and still don't have a bigger engine option (they could have used the 2.4L from the Verano).
Considering the 1.8L sells well and is the cheapest to produce, it won't get panned.They haven't improved the 1.4L because there hasn't been a reason to; people are satisfied with it. The real world MPG of the 1.4L proves to be good to outstanding and it is beating its segment competitors in fuel economy and driveability. Why add the cost of DI? Not happening until the need is there.They will never put a 2.4L in the Cruze it is suicide. Drop the MPG by 5 in a segment all about fuel economy and you lose all credibility. People buying a Cruze don't want a "larger engine." If they did, they would buy something with a larger engine (because they know the fuel economy trade-off).Yeah, we all have complaints about GM. But this isn't Burger King. They have to make most people happy and stay competitive. Not just make a car to suit your tastes. Don't like it, don't buy it.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...They haven't improved the 1.4L because there hasn't been a reason...
...like (a) the competition doesn't already have DI and (b) GM has their managlement/engineering heads buried in the proverbial sand? Can you say "...shortsighted stagnation?" sure you can--I just did!

Reactions: steve333

·
Registered
713 Posts
Considering the 1.8L sells well and is the cheapest to produce, it won't get panned.They haven't improved the 1.4L because there hasn't been a reason to; people are satisfied with it. The real world MPG of the 1.4L proves to be good to outstanding and it is beating its segment competitors in fuel economy and driveability. Why add the cost of DI? Not happening until the need is there.They will never put a 2.4L in the Cruze it is suicide. Drop the MPG by 5 in a segment all about fuel economy and you lose all credibility. People buying a Cruze don't want a "larger engine." If they did, they would buy something with a larger engine (because they know the fuel economy trade-off).Yeah, we all have complaints about GM. But this isn't Burger King. They have to make most people happy and stay competitive. Not just make a car to suit your tastes. Don't like it, don't buy it.
Every review, everyone who rents one with the 1.8L will not like this car because the engine is too weak for how much it weighs. The engine sucks, it sucked in the Astra and it sucks in the Cruze. It should be mothballed.
You've decided that noone wants a larger engine option? The comments all over I've been reading says otherwise. Other cars in this Class offer larger engines and so should GM.
The ECO gets good gas mileage but the regular Cruze consistently loses out to others because the car is so heavy. DI or a 1.6L T would help both MPG and pickup.
GM being lazy. That's it

...like (a) the competition doesn't already have DI and (b) GM has their managlement/engineering heads buried in the proverbial sand? Can you say "...shortsighted stagnation?" sure you can--I just did!
Yup

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Anybody know if the 2013 1LT Chevy Cruzes will actually be getting the real sports-tuned suspension like the 2LT's and LTZ's?! And by sport-tuned suspension, I don't mean the RS package people; which so many of you seem to think that it gives the 1LT's the sport-tuned suspension and lowered ride height. The RS package for all Cruze models is nothing more than appearance upgrades!

The 2LT's and the LTZ's are the only two models that have ever had the sport-tuned suspension either as standard (LTZ) or optional (2LT). The 2LT's getting the sport tuned suspension in 2011 was dependent on if the owners decided to opt for the bigger optional 17" wheels as opposed to the 16" standard wheels. Yes, both the 1 and 2 LT models in 2011 had 16" wheels standard. This sport-tuned suspension with an accompanied lowered ride height, had nothing to do with them adding or not adding the cosmetic RS appearence package. Now in 2012 both the 2LT's and the LTZ's get the sport-tuned suspension standard. Again, totally not dependent on if you choose to add or not add the cosmetic RS appearance package.

If I'm not mistaking the rear compound crank suspension with Z-link in 2012 was standard on the LT's/LTZ and optional on the Eco, but now all it appears Chevy did for 2013 was take the rear z-link suspension, which was once standard on the 1LT and make it only available if you add the RS package! However, this does not mean the RS package now lowers the 1LT or give it a sport tuned suspension because the Z-link was already standard in 2012. It would appear that whatever suspension the LS's have is what the 1LT's will have in the rear if one chooses not to add the RS package?! Chevy you guys are some crooks, if I've ever seen one!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Everything you said is correct.
The 2013 1LT has no zlink, but it gets the z link only if you get the RS package.
You are also correct about the RS package for 2012 and 2013.
I agree that the Z link should be standard for 2013 on 1LT. One thing you should never do is remove a feature in the next model year unless its something that people didn't want.

One thing I would love to test is to see how much rougher the ride is with the sport suspension and 17 inch tires vs the current 1LT. I also need to check out the leather seats (I wish we could get leather seats as an option on the 1LT). If I want leather I have to spend over 2 grand more to step up to the 2LT

1 - 20 of 29 Posts