Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer replaced valve cover last year and stated intake was inspected and ok. Now a little over 1 year later I have this bird chirping noise under the hood. While trying to locate the noise I remove the oil cap and realized what seems to be an extreme amount of blow by. I checked the vent in the valve cover and it is not leaking like before. 88,000 miles and still should be under warranty. Is the blow by caused by the same issue as the intake and Pcv issue or is this something new? Going to take it to the dealer next week. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
No.......four cylinder engines have a rather large crankcase turbulence.....not blow by.
This is a result of a 180 degree crankshaft......two pistons rising/two pistons coming down.....like a panting dog.

If you remove the fill cap you disrupt the crankcase ventilation and the oil being thrown by the cams (lots of it) will be jettisoned out of the open hole.

This is normal.....

Rob

Rather than remove the cap, just pull the dipstick to see if the sound changes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
While the car is running and you can hear the chirping noise. Pop the dipstick out just enough to break the seal. If the chirping goes away then its the crank oil seal. Pop the dipstick back in and the chirp should come back. If the noise doesn't change then check the spark plugs.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts