Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a little under 2000miles on my 2013 ECO MT, and I have had to turn ON the AC only twice though due to the weather being cold. However both times after we switch OFF the AC, there is this terrible smell that comes from the vent when we have the fan ON.

Has anybody else run into this issue? The smell goes away after a few minutes, but when it lasts, it's just terrible. My little kids and wife felt nauseated by it.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Maybe I just need to run the AC a bit more.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have noticed a faint sickeningly sweet odor as well. I am not sure what it could be either. i notice it when the heat is on though.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Is it a sweet smell or stinky feet smell? When I fist for mine I would get the feet smell from the AC. I ran it for a while with the windows down a couple times and it went away. Hasn't come back.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes mine is like what you mentioned---i.e. really stinky! Good to know that after you ran your AC for a while it went away. I think I will try that. However like I said when I have AC running there is no smell. Also no smell if I have heat running.

The smell comes if I had AC running and then I switched off the AC compressor and left the air blowing. Then I would have the stinky smell for at least 10mins. I will run the AC for a while and see how that helps.

Obermd I did read the link you send and I think my situation is slightly different.

Thanks all.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,599 Posts
Sounds like mold on the evap. core.

You can get a spray from an auto parts store (basically mold killer) and clean the evaporator coil, but you will have to go in behind the air filter to actually get it on the evaporator core.

If you want to prevent this problem, use fresh air setting in the summer once the car cools down, and turn off the A/C for the last few minutes of every trip. The mold and stink is caused by too much moisture left in the evap housing when the car is sitting with no air flow.

Keep in mind that the Cruze will automatically shut the recirculate door flap on the coldest AC setting. Move it up a notch for fresh air.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi all,

I have a little under 2000miles on my 2013 ECO MT, and I have had to turn ON the AC only twice though due to the weather being cold. However both times after we switch OFF the AC, there is this terrible smell that comes from the vent when we have the fan ON.

Has anybody else run into this issue? The smell goes away after a few minutes, but when it lasts, it's just terrible. My little kids and wife felt nauseated by it.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Maybe I just need to run the AC a bit more.

Thanks.

rscruze
Are you still experiencing this issue? If you are I would recommend that you have your dealer look into this for you. They will be in the best position to get this issue taken care of for you. I would like you to keep me posted. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
5,722 Posts
I have noticed a faint sickeningly sweet odor as well. I am not sure what it could be either. i notice it when the heat is on though.

PatsRS,
Have you had a chance to have your dealer look into this for you? If you have not already I would recommend that you take your Cruze into your dealer to have them look into this for you. I would like you to keep me posted and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Take it to the dealership ... I too had that problem and there's apparently a fan that they can program to cycle on and off a few times after the car is turned off in order to get rid of moisture buildup. My dealership did it for free, and they also replaced the cabin air filter (not for free) because they said "it looked like a rodent of some sort had chewed it up" and that was pretty weird to me! After the fan reprogram, the smell was pretty much gone, but not completely. good luck!

Reactions: rscruze and Starks8

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks spaycace and Stacy! I will have the dealer look at it at the next chance. The problem is the dealer is quite a ways off for me! If it is the fan, I would think that GM would have it programmed the right way from the factory.

·
5,722 Posts
Thanks spaycace and Stacy! I will have the dealer look at it at the next chance. The problem is the dealer is quite a ways off for me! If it is the fan, I would think that GM would have it programmed the right way from the factory.

rscruze,
I do understand your concerns with your dealer not being close by. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this causes you. Please keep me posted and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts