Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to the forum, and a new Cruze owner. I've had mine for almost two months. My whole life I've been a bit of a car snob...only Lexus, Honda, that type of thing. Never looked at a Chevy before, until I went on vacation and my rental car was a 2015 Cruze. I loved it! So when I got home I found a 2013 that I liked, so I bought it.

Now comes the fun part.

It started giving me warnings when I would start it, and then my radio started turning on and off by itself. I called a dealership in my area and was told it could be the negative battery cable. I brought it in, and they told me there were THREE recalls, and were able to fix them for free! Yeah! Good news!! Until he told me that the battery had been leaking acid onto the positive battery cable, so the battery and the cable would need to be replaced, to the tune of 250 dollars.

So my question for you experts is this: Could the problem with the neg. cable affected the battery? Should the repairs for the recalled part have included the battery and pos. cable?

I'm just really bummed that I've had this car for such a short time and am already putting money into it. I had my Lexus for six years before I got in an accident, and I never did anything but regular maintenance. I hope I just got it over with early, and won't have any other problems! :)

Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
So my question for you experts is this: Could the problem with the neg. cable affected the battery? Should the repairs for the recalled part have included the battery and pos. cable?
It would be hard to prove the cable caused the battery to leak, so unfortunately for you this would be something you are on the hook for. Remember typical car battery's life very on environment and driving habits, typically between 2-6 years life.

If your battery was corroded/leaking it should have been seen by you or whom ever you had inspect the car when you bought it. Did you buy it from a chevy dealer? Was it a certified used car? honestly I suspect the problem was there when you bought it and might have been why the original owner sold it.

Bad connection to the battery(corroded) or weak/leaking battery will cause all kinds of intermittent electrical issues.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
2013 and 2015 model years have quite a few differences. How many miles are on your 2013? This might give you some insight on potential issues you could expect to have. Not saying you will, but this is documentation that others have had. Lots of hot links on the page for additional information.

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Problems, Defects & Complaints

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
That 2013 is still inside the 36 month B2B warranty window. If it's under 36,000 miles that battery leak & repair should be free - covered by the Bumper to Bumper warranty.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello! I'm new to the forum, and a new Cruze owner. I've had mine for almost two months. My whole life I've been a bit of a car snob...only Lexus, Honda, that type of thing. Never looked at a Chevy before, until I went on vacation and my rental car was a 2015 Cruze. I loved it! So when I got home I found a 2013 that I liked, so I bought it.

Now comes the fun part.

It started giving me warnings when I would start it, and then my radio started turning on and off by itself. I called a dealership in my area and was told it could be the negative battery cable. I brought it in, and they told me there were THREE recalls, and were able to fix them for free! Yeah! Good news!! Until he told me that the battery had been leaking acid onto the positive battery cable, so the battery and the cable would need to be replaced, to the tune of 250 dollars.

I'm just really bummed that I've had this car for such a short time and am already putting money into it. I had my Lexus for six years before I got in an accident, and I never did anything but regular maintenance. I hope I just got it over with early, and won't have any other problems! :)

Thank you!!
Hello Sebastiansnana,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Cruze! We would be more than happy to look into this further. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to your response!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 5 of 5 Posts