Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the classic cam shaft cover vacuum regulator and intake manifold check valve issue. Replaced both.

Next I was blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust from leftover oil in the intercooler and charge tubes. Cleaned those out to get clean exhaust again.

Now, 3 months later, I've got a straight up oil leak on the passenger side of the engine. It looks like it might be the new cam shaft cover gasket. If that's what it is, that's frustrating because I was diligent about following the bolt torque pattern and the torque spec.

The leak started small a few weeks ago. Now it's pretty big, a quart every 2 to 3 weeks!! It's also reporting P0171 code after the engine warms up a little. Fine when cold or hot.

Is there anything else I should look for as the oil leak before redoing the cam shaft cover gasket? Should I use RTV, or other gasket sealant if I do redo the cam cover gasket?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not sure, bought on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07583RSVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is on better than the other?

I pulled the cover off again and it was leaking badly from the area of the cover between the two bolts on either side of the oil dip stick. The gasket was crap. It was already hard and not flexible.

Purchased a new gasket from Autozone, it was blue and seemed more substantial. Along with redoing the gasket with, I put a thin coat of oil resistant silicone RTV on the engine side of the gasket from where you put a dab anyway, and along the surface past the oil dipstick to beyond the next bolt hole. I let it set for over 24 hours and rechecked the torque for all the bolts.

No more oil leak - for now. But guess what I am leaking now - coolant from the reservoir bypass hose! It actually started about a week ago I think, but there was so much oil leaking it went unnoticed. I really used to like my Cruze, this adventure has got to end!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hate to tell you, but it probably won't. These cars seem to require more maintenance than most. That hose leaking is a known issue though and pretty cheap to replace.
Yeah, it was $12 on Amazon and the De-cool was $12.44 at Walmart. Got an easy 120K miles before I got the Cruze Bluze. But we have 56 more payments on my wife's new truck. So I'm going to keep nickel and diming my way as long as I can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts