Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2013 LTZ Auto with 300 miles, when I first got it I noticed when in 6th gear going around 40-60mph the transmission slips for a millisecond. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they consider this "breaking in"?

I'm already taking my car in for a new rear window because of defrosters not working, should I mention this transmission "problem" or will this be a ongoing PITA?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'd mention it, if nothing more than to get it written up for future reference. You will probably be told to keep driving as it may very well be break in of a new transmission. Your dealership may also take the time to look into it for you.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...like the Discovery™ SciPhi channel slogan: "...QUESTION EVERYTHING..."

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats exactly what I was thinking, better to have it noted with the low miles vs higher miles. (Granted I extended the Bumper to Bumper Warranty to 60K).

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
If you pay attention the transmission actually does this behavior in every gear change. I believe what you are seeing is rev-matching like some stick shift drivers do.

Some drivers complain the manual mode has some delay, but if you actually watch it instantly starts to shift like you tell it, but the RPMs will rise slightly between gears.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But this happens when the car isn't shifting, I could be going 60mph for 2 miles while level and it "slips" 5-15 times in that distance.

You can see the RPM move up a little when this is happening too, but VERY small difference.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
But this happens when the car isn't shifting, I could be going 60mph for 2 miles while level and it "slips" 5-15 times in that distance.

You can see the RPM move up a little when this is happening too, but VERY small difference.
The lockup toque converter on this car is not either locked/unlocked like on my previous cars, it can make those little changes like you mention based on load.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Can you hear a difference, or is the needle just doing weird things?

It is normal for auto transmissions these days to have lots of weird programming that results in jerky shifting and shift flares. The manufacturers call them "normal".

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only feel and see the difference, at first I thought it was cross winds hitting my car. But when it kept happening on normal roads I ruled that out.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
If your using the cruise control you might also be seeing how it is always trying to coast to save gas when it can. Usually on a level road you will not notice this, but if there is even slight grade changes you will feel/hear the engine rev to maintain speed & let off to coast.

I still think what your seeing toque converter locking/unlocking though. Quite often when my cruise control gets on the gas to maintain speed I see the tach blip up a few hundred RPM & settle back down a few seconds later.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your using the cruise control you might also be seeing how it is always trying to coast to save gas when it can. Usually on a level road you will not notice this, but if there is even slight grade changes you will feel/hear the engine rev to maintain speed & let off to coast.

I still think what your seeing toque converter locking/unlocking though. Quite often when my cruise control gets on the gas to maintain speed I see the tach blip up a few hundred RPM & settle back down a few seconds later.

Thats definitely a thought, I haven't used my cruise yet. I know exactly what you're talking about but this happens even when the grade is level. It honestly feels like the Toque converter is slipping out and reengaging over an over again.

Also I should maybe mention the transmission shifts hard sometimes, I'm assuming this might be normal based on reviews.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Most likely its normal operation.If it was slipping it would have a code in it.I found when i first drove one of the new 6 speed autos i really did not like it.But i like them now after spending some time in them.But i will say the Cruze 6 sp auto trans does feel best tuned i think !

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
CruzeDFB,
Let us know if you would like for us to document any concerns for you or to follow up on this with your involved dealership should you decide to have it evaluated. We can be reached via private message and would ask for the last 8 digits of your VIN to check into the situation further.
Sarah (Assisting Stacy), Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
348 Posts
i dont use my cruise controll or even drive highway too often. last year when my 2012 1.4 had about 2k miles on it, i noticed the same rpm flutter. had the cruise set at 65 and i was feeling the car kind of lightly surging back and forth just a hair. i could watch the rpm needle move just a 100 or 200 with the surging/backing off. i think thats the only time that ever happened since i honestly forgot about it untill i just read this thread.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm noticed a lot of people complaining about the factory transmission tune on the Cruze. I'd have to agree with everybody else. The trasmission is a little sticky at times on my car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CruzeDFB,
Let us know if you would like for us to document any concerns for you or to follow up on this with your involved dealership should you decide to have it evaluated. We can be reached via private message and would ask for the last 8 digits of your VIN to check into the situation further.
Sarah (Assisting Stacy), Chevrolet Customer Service
Will do, I'm sure it will take a while for it to become an issue. I noticed my car shifts REALLY HARD sometimes.

I'm noticed a lot of people complaining about the factory transmission tune on the Cruze. I'd have to agree with everybody else. The trasmission is a little sticky at times on my car.
Agreed!

i dont use my cruise controll or even drive highway too often. last year when my 2012 1.4 had about 2k miles on it, i noticed the same rpm flutter. had the cruise set at 65 and i was feeling the car kind of lightly surging back and forth just a hair. i could watch the rpm needle move just a 100 or 200 with the surging/backing off. i think thats the only time that ever happened since i honestly forgot about it untill i just read this thread.
What you described is exactly what I'm experiencing, let me know if you take yours in.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Just a reminder......this 'adaptive' trans seems to require about a thousand miles of city driving to 'learn' your driving habits.

So, anticipate a bit of odd upshifting during and sometimes beyond break in......the trans actually reviews each shift and updates itself.

Rob

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far the transmission seems to be better, I will be traveling to Milwaukee Tuesday.

Looking forward to taking this new car on a trip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts