Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a call from our daughter, she is having intermittent electrical problems with her car.
Its a 2014 1LT, 1.4L/auto with ~100k on it. It has a salvage title so not pristine.
I/P blinks in/out, radio as well and now the power steering is loosing assist randomly.

The dash thing happened in the past and I found the battery was failing so replaced it with a new Deka unit. Replaced the alternator because the bearings were noisy. Cleaned battery cables. After the battery replacement it ran months with no issues and now they are back with a vengence. The original battery passed the "toaster test" at the parts stores, couldn't find anyone with a good capacitance tester.

Car is an hour away so can't just run out and test things.
Any thoughts on what to check when she visits?

Is there a common module(BCM) that could be the culprit?
If so would I be able to diagnose without a Tech2?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Due to the R title no warranty,
I'll double check the cable. Should have enough extra weld cable to make a new one if need be.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,483 Posts
Due to the R title no warranty,
I'll double check the cable. Should have enough extra weld cable to make a new one if need be.
If you are any good at soldering, you could drill into where the crimp is and fill it with solder.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are any good at soldering, you could drill into where the crimp is and fill it with solder.
At this age if the crimp joint was the cause I'd be concerned the wires are too corroded for a solder joint now.

Went and re-read the bulletin as it's been years since I've seen it.
IIRC, It has the cable with the stud/nut so it is the original.

Now to see when I can get her to stop by.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She ordered the cable from rockauto, AC Delco.
Want to cut apart the OEM one when I get it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up:
Been a month since installing new negative cable and has been running fine.
You could feel the play in the crimp, cut it open and you could see the arcing on the individual strands.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Follow up:
Been a month since installing new negative cable and has been running fine.
You could feel the play in the crimp, cut it open and you could see the arcing on the individual strands.
This is nice to read! I mentioned the Cable in another thread, and some moron complained about my advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts