1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Green (color) cars are coming back. Curb weight of 3,475 lbs. Hmmm, that's an increase. Can't wait to see how they've programmed the automatic for this one. Rear seat air ducts.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simple question, is this good or bad? I don't know squat about their transmissions except the Allison. Lol.
Have not heard of many Cadillac SRX or Regal Turbo's having transmission problems...so far.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cool info. Anyone know when you'll be able to order 2014s? As soon as I sell my ATV and bike I'll be getting a Cruze but I'm sure it won't be til March or April til they sell, and at that point it will probably be too late to order a 2013....

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Simple question, is this good or bad? I don't know squat about their transmissions except the Allison. Lol.
Aisin transmissions are excellent.

Very curious to see the rainforest green and blue ray metallic colors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cool info. Anyone know when you'll be able to order 2014s? As soon as I sell my ATV and bike I'll be getting a Cruze but I'm sure it won't be til March or April til they sell, and at that point it will probably be too late to order a 2013....
The diesel Cruze is 2014 model year, no 2013. It's still the same car as the 2013, just in the new year designation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The diesel variant appears to only get 42 mpg on highway. Despite diesel engines being 11% more efficient then gas counterparts, gm manage to negate that boost by creating a heavier car loaded with advanced electronics that rob fuel mileage. What a failure. You get to pay more for the base diesel model and more at the pump! Who is first? Idiots I suppose.

Want low end torque? Buy a car that doesn't embarrass you at freeway speeds. not the cruze.

How... How do you mess this up gm?

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
The diesel variant appears to only get 42 mpg on highway. Despite diesel engines being 11% more efficient then gas counterparts, gm manage to negate that boost by creating a heavier car loaded with advanced electronics that rob fuel mileage.
Your comparing it to the wrong car, since the diesel only comes as an automatic you should be using the 38mpg highway rating of the 1.4T automatic models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
While I think this diesel is a total waste with an automatic (personal preference) I would like to see the numbers using something similar to the MT Eco gasoline version. I want to like this car sooo much, but it just doesn't make sense on paper. First year reliability issues... A domestic with a diesel (not a good track record, lets hope this one's Euro design engine fixes that) with relatively low MPG for the cost of more expensive fuel.

Maybe they are lowballing that MPG estimate? I know on my Eco 2013 MT Gas engine that 42mpg is about right at 70-75mph and low in my Seattle metro highway commutes where I see 44-45mpg doing 60-65mph.

In order for this to sell/become a hit, it needs to blow peoples' minds... combine the fuel efficiency of a Prius with the handling of the Cruze and they could have a winner. Get that freaking curb weight down GM!!!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have not seen any mention of those colors, are those new next year? My 2004 cavalier was forest green metallic, so I would love a super dark green almost black cruze.
...from the GM 2014 Cruze Diesel Online Ordering Guide website:

(G7C) Red Hot exterior
color
(G7J) Rainforest Green
Metallic exterior color
(GXG) Tungsten
Metallic exterior color
(GXH) Blue Ray
Metallic exterior color

·
Registered
126 Posts
The diesel variant appears to only get 42 mpg on highway. Despite diesel engines being 11% more efficient then gas counterparts, gm manage to negate that boost by creating a heavier car loaded with advanced electronics that rob fuel mileage. What a failure. You get to pay more for the base diesel model and more at the pump! Who is first? Idiots I suppose.

Want low end torque? Buy a car that doesn't embarrass you at freeway speeds. not the cruze.

How... How do you mess this up gm?
Here is the thing that you and other hardcore mpg chasers forget: The diesel engine cost a lot more to develop and produce. GM could strip the diesel to the level of an Eco, w/ a manual and guess what? It STILL wouldn't make sense financially and therefore none of them would sell. Guys like you that place fuel costs on the top tier of your priorities would do the math and would quickly find that due to the premium cost of just the diesel engine option, and the premium cost of diesel fuel, that the ROI just isn't there. It would take 7 years to just break even on fuel costs, longer then most first owners' life cycle for a new car purchase.

The diesel option is for a guy lke me (purchasing for my wife) that actually wants a luxury medium sized car w/ strong engine performance and to still get decent mpg, and I'm willing to pay for it. The diesel is a premium product, it's not the least operating cost and won't ever be. Although I certainly consider economics when purchasing, I don't purchase cars that drive like a Thrifty Rental car subcompact which was exactly what my wife said about the LTZ Cruze we test drove w/ a 1.4T. In short I don't like them real slow.

So you see we are not idiots, we just have different priorities then you.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
The diesel option is for a guy lke me (purchasing for my wife) that actually wants a luxury medium sized car w/ strong engine performance and to still get decent mpg, and I'm willing to pay for it. The diesel is a premium product, it's not the least operating cost and won't ever be. Although I certainly consider economics when purchasing, I don't purchase cars that drive like a Thrifty Rental car subcompact which was exactly what my wife said about the LTZ Cruze we test drove w/ a 1.4T. In short I don't like them real slow.

So you see we are not idiots, we just have different priorities then you.
Unfortunately for you, the diesel Cruze isn't any faster than the gas Cruze. It still gets a lame 148 HP, and takes over 8 seconds to get to 0-60 (going off the Australian Holden Diesel statistics). A tuned gas Cruze will still be faster than a stock diesel Cruze so "power" isn't a reason to buy it. Torque isn't power, power is rate of work (i.e. horsepower), not twist action.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts