Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excerpted from the GM document, 'Application For Certification 2014 Model Year (2.0L Diesel Cruze),' submitted to EPA (at 50 mph):

68°F ROADLOAD: F0=30.19, F1=0.5273, F2=0.01164, TRLHP=11.4
20°F ROADLOAD: F0=33.21, F1=0.5800, F2=0.01280, TRLHP=12.6

...also, EPA curb weight: 3,481 lbs; GM literature: 3,475 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
So it actually gets better fuel economy in the cold?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, at 20°F it's taking 1.2 HP more to maintain 50 mph than at 68°F...caused by stiffer tires and denser air.

P.S. - FWIW, the EPA document lists the Diesel Cruze Fuel Tank Capacity as being 15.9 gallons, 0.3 gallons more than the 15.6 gallons stated for the gasoline Cruzes. What does your Canadian Owners Manual state?

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
No, at 20°F it's taking 1.2 HP more to maintain 50 mph than at 68°F...caused by stiffer tires and denser air.

P.S. - FWIW, the EPA document lists the Diesel Cruze Fuel Tank Capacity as being 15.9 gallons, 0.3 gallons more than the 15.6 gallons stated for the gasoline Cruzes. What does your Canadian Owners Manual state?
Thanks for explaining.

The manual says 59.0 Litres or 15.6 Gallons for both diesel and non-ECO. I wonder if the diesel fuel pump arrangement differs from that of the gasoline version and in that way offers an additional volume of capacity.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for explaining.

The manual says 59.0 Litres or 15.6 Gallons for both diesel and non-ECO. I wonder if the diesel fuel pump arrangement differs from that of the gasoline version and in that way offers an additional volume of capacity.
Your suggestion sounds more probable than mine...so I'll go with yours.

Just working *backwards* from the EPA numbers, it looks like your diesel engine turns only 1,455 rpm at 50 mph in 6th gear...sound correct?

Also, those Goodyear P215/55R17 Assurance tires have a 26.3-inch diameter and make between 791-to-795 revolutions-per-mile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cold, dry air often actually helps turbo engines, up to a certain point. There's also the third law of aerodynamics which says that your net efficiency is limited by the temperature difference between the inside of the engine and the ouside air. The greater the difference, the more efficient you are, approaching 100% efficiency at absolute zero.

Of course that also assumes a frictionless system that isn't moving through the air. So in practice you lose more from friction and moving air resistance than you gain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts