Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2014 2l engine removal. With or without tranny?

1066 8
Hi all, new to the forum.
I’m searching for information on engine removal for my son’s 2014 Cruze 2l diesel. More specifically, do I need to pull the engine/transmission out as a unit, or separate them in the engine bay leaving the tranny in the car.
The crank has to come out, uggh!

A little back story. My son drove down a back road over a pothole hitting a rock. Being young and naive he didn’t think much of it. Well long story short he cracked the oil pan and the oil had drained out. 2 days later He went for a drive and the rest is history. Looking like the rod bearing closest to the harmonic balancer is the only one damaged but I need to pull the engine for a thorough inspectio.

Thank you
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,998 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum.
I’m searching for information on engine removal for my son’s 2014 Cruze 2l diesel. More specifically, do I need to pull the engine/transmission out as a unit, or separate them in the engine bay leaving the tranny in the car.
The crank has to come out, uggh!

A little back story. My son drove down a back road over a pothole hitting a rock. Being young and naive he didn’t think much of it. Well long story short he cracked the oil pan and the oil had drained out. 2 days later He went for a drive and the rest is history. Looking like the rod bearing closest to the harmonic balancer is the only one damaged but I need to pull the engine for a thorough inspectio.

Thank you
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

I have some links for the 1.4 and the 1.8 but none for the CTD, I will move this to the diesel discussion area.

·
Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
466 Posts
Hmmm. It'd be easier to pull the engine, start with attached things like intake, and exhaust. To lesson weight pull turbo, head, alternator starter. Leaving you to pull the "short block."

Benefit of this you can still move and steer the car, pulling the tranny involves the sub frame, steering, alignment, and car would stay where it'd be.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Best bet would be to subscribe to alldata.com for one month.

Autozone used to have repair instructions but doesn't look like they have it anymore. I think they bought alldata from what I could gather.

IIRC. I was looking in to it last year.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,021 Posts
The service manual shows lifting the car off the subframe. Usually the easiest method for cars for a long while now.

Reactions: LulzT1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, much appreciated information. In my haste I managed to get the engine/tranny out as a unit before checking my post (i only broke one sensor). Cruzing12 & MP81, I’ll remember lifting the car off the subframe in the future once i get my lift installed. Thanks Snowwy66 for the info regarding AllData. I’ll be looking into this further.
I tried separating the engine from the tranny in the engine bay but ran into an issue where i couldn’t reach or see a couple of bolts that held it together. So I changed direction and did it as a unit. Once everything was disconnected it took about 30min to pull. Had to stop and reposition the lifting chain a couple times to get the right balance and angle. Not easy but it came out.
Next challenge, get the crankshaft out for repair or replacement as well as looking over the cams for any damage. No doubt I’ll be asking more questions in the near future. Cheers!
It’s been years since I’ve gone this far into an engine lol.

Thanks again!!

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,998 Posts
Thanks everyone, much appreciated information. In my haste I managed to get the engine/tranny out as a unit before checking my post (i only broke one sensor). Cruzing12 & MP81, I’ll remember lifting the car off the subframe in the future once i get my lift installed. Thanks Snowwy66 for the info regarding AllData. I’ll be looking into this further.
I tried separating the engine from the tranny in the engine bay but ran into an issue where i couldn’t reach or see a couple of bolts that held it together. So I changed direction and did it as a unit. Once everything was disconnected it took about 30min to pull. Had to stop and reposition the lifting chain a couple times to get the right balance and angle. Not easy but it came out.
Next challenge, get the crankshaft out for repair or replacement as well as looking over the cams for any damage. No doubt I’ll be asking more questions in the near future. Cheers!
It’s been years since I’ve gone this far into an engine lol.

Thanks again!!
Document the agony for the next guy. Start a build thread here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No not at all Aussie. The guard is in place although a bit singed directly under the #1 connecting rod. I mentioned in my first post that my son hit a rock and cracked the oil pan. He lost all of his engine oil.
BTW everyone, the crank is out. The #1 connecting rod bearing was the worst one, the bearing was almost worn completely off. Two other connecting rods have some scoring and so do some of the main bearings. I’m currently checking for machine shops who can “fix” it vs replacing with a new crank. In the end it will depend on cost. I still have to open up the top and look at the cams. If they’re in the same shape as the crank it may end up cheaper to replace the engine. So far I’m finding out how “rare” this engine is. Not much for second hand stock here in Canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts