Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently rented this car for a few hours to compare it to the 2014 Cruze I had rented some days before. The VW was equipped with a 6 spd. auto with selectable shift and sport mode. I am fairly
certain the base Golf cannot be ordered with the DSG transmission. Minimal equipment was the order of the day: steel wheels, manually operated seats(but with powered recline for the driver-a very nice
and thoughtful touch!) standard hvac and standard radio w/o cd capability and plastic-trimmed steering wheel. My impressions:
- Excellent seats. Supportive, firm and very comfortable. So nice to have the power recline function when this feature is absent from so many GM models that one would think should have them( Buick Verano?)
The seats in the Cruze 1LT I had were very good as well but not as enveloping as the VW's perches. Ideal for long distance travel.
-Satisfying performance from the 5 cyl./6 spd. powertrain. The 2.5L has been derided as gruff, unsophisticated, noisy and slow. Well I quite enjoyed this powertrain and felt it provided satisfying performance.
Yes, it is louder than the motor used in the Cruze but I found the mechanical sound distinctive and not gruff. Lots of torque at low rpms and good performance from the line and at highway speeds, but
struggled a bit on inclines (where the Cruze, by contrast, did well). Excellent performance from the automatic. The unit shifted rapidly and unobtrusively in all situations and honestly, somewhat better than
the auto used in the Cruze. Makes the very most of the engine.
-Delightful steering. Precise, properly boosted and communicative. Really elevates this sedan above its competitors and made my time behind the wheel very enjoyable. However, the system in the Cruze
was far better than I expected and compared well with the VW, in my opinion.
-Excellent fit and finish, and quality materials used throughout the cabin. The design of the dashboard is simple but most contact surfaces were covered in soft-touch materials and the doors closed with
the expected "thunk." Fit and finish in Cruze was very good although a few panels were not as well aligned as in the VW. Surprisingly, the VW was beginning to develop the odd rattle here and there as
contrasted to the Cruze which was tight as a drum although it had twice the number of miles.

Would I buy one?
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed driving this car. Even with its lowly 5 cyl. engine that German pedigree of driver involvement with cars designed for the Autobahn is evident. The whole package works
for a person with modest expectations. I don't think I would buy this Golf because: 1) The new one will be out soon and it will be equipped with a (more expensive) TC engine 2) The Cruze is surprisingly
good as well, is less expensive and can be made better with a few modifications.
I am not pronouncing an emphatic no to the VW but the aftermarket support for the Cruze makes it a more compelling purchase.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,304 Posts
I compared a Golf TDI 6-speed manual right before I bought my Cruze. I loved it. It was fun to drive, comfortable, had a really nice interior...and the TDI engine was impressive in every way. For a hatchback, even the rear seat room was better than the Cruze.

I also drove a Jetta in the 2.5. I'm a former 5-cylinder owner (Volvo). The engine just felt dulled down, buzzy, and thrashy in comparison, and the interior of the car was just awful.

After seeing the problems friends in college had with their VWs (the MkIV Jetta was very popular when I was in school), I would never buy a VW though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was going to say the same thing regarding the Jetta. I dont understand how VW can have such a quality interior on the Golf/GTI and then that horrid sea of cheap plastic that is the jetta. If I could find any decent VW/Audis near me I would consider one and may still for my next car as by the time my cruze is ready to be replaced the New MKVII golf GTD should have been out a cpl years. Near GTI performance with TDI fuel economy. Count me in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I compared a Golf TDI 6-speed manual right before I bought my Cruze. I loved it. It was fun to drive, comfortable, had a really nice interior...and the TDI engine was impressive in every way. For a hatchback, even the rear seat room was better than the Cruze.

I also drove a Jetta in the 2.5. I'm a former 5-cylinder owner (Volvo). The engine just felt dulled down, buzzy, and thrashy in comparison, and the interior of the car was just awful.

After seeing the problems friends in college had with their VWs (the MkIV Jetta was very popular when I was in school), I would never buy a VW though.
I don't think VW would dare sell the North American Jetta in any other market, certainly not Europe. But I would be very interested in driving the Golf TDI-seems like
the best of both worlds (and VW knows a thing or two about diesel motors.) However, the 2013+ Cruze is very much in the game especially with a good tune and possibly
a CAI; a good foundation for the enthusiast on a budget.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Glad I found this thread. As soon as I test drove my '13 Cruze 1LT, it felt just like my old mkIV Jetta 2.0. That's not a bad thing. I loved that jetta. The ride was firm without being harsh, the steering was precise with good feedback and the fit and finish was superb.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just be careful with those VW 's. There has been a lot of trouble with their engines and gearboxes.
I don't know those better, but You can find more from Internet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just be careful with those VW 's. There has been a lot of trouble with their engines and gearboxes.
I don't know those better, but You can find more from Internet.
According to Consumer Reports the Golf mkVI 2.5/auto has excellent reliability. I think their non-diesel turbo engines tend to be troublesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts