Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm wondering if anyone can explain this to me...my girlfriend has a 2014 Buick Verano base with the 2.4. It has this "problem" that she keeps complaining about with the engine fan roaring at full speed almost all the time. I told her I thought it was normal...but she insists since "your car doesn't do it" that it can't be normal. And it got me thinking...why would it do this.

Here's how it always goes,
She starts the car (remote or by key) and within 10 seconds (cold start) the engine fan kicks on to full speed. This makes it difficult to have a conversation outside the car. Also, it does this whether it's 70 degrees or 105 degrees outside.

The car is throwing no codes or anything. Temp gauge works fine (first thought was bad coolant temp sensor). Interestingly, the fan always turns off completely (hot or cold engine) if you turn the A/C off. So I guess it's related to the A/C system. But when you turn the A/C back on the fan just comes back to low speed like it should with the A/C. I haven't noticed if it'll go back to full speed...all I know is that it didn't for the 5 minutes I was standing there.

I was thinking the A/C high side pressure might be getting too high with low amounts of airflow and causing the fan to run at full speed. But pressure shouldn't build that fast on a cold start, should it? (I don't know much about A/C. Just engines lol). And why, if it's due to high high side pressure, will the fan revert back to low speed just by toggling the A/C off and on.

It does this consistently, every day. Her parents (I'm still converting them to GM) are getting irritated because they think it has a problem because my car and her moms 2015 GMC Terrain do not exhibit this behavior.

So I am reaching out to you all for a possible explanation...I'm stumped. I think it's normal...but I can't understand why?

Thanks all!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
Low and medium speed fan is normal. High speed, holy **** loud is NOT normal.

There's more than one possible cause with similar symptoms. jbackburn reported here that he had a defective A/C expansion valve. I'm inclined to think that's what you have as well. Or at least something in the A/C system seems sticky such that it has problems on start up, but not if turned on later.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey all. I'm wondering if anyone can explain this to me...my girlfriend has a 2014 Buick Verano base with the 2.4. It has this "problem" that she keeps complaining about with the engine fan roaring at full speed almost all the time. I told her I thought it was normal...but she insists since "your car doesn't do it" that it can't be normal. And it got me thinking...why would it do this.

Here's how it always goes,
She starts the car (remote or by key) and within 10 seconds (cold start) the engine fan kicks on to full speed. This makes it difficult to have a conversation outside the car. Also, it does this whether it's 70 degrees or 105 degrees outside.

The car is throwing no codes or anything. Temp gauge works fine (first thought was bad coolant temp sensor). Interestingly, the fan always turns off completely (hot or cold engine) if you turn the A/C off. So I guess it's related to the A/C system. But when you turn the A/C back on the fan just comes back to low speed like it should with the A/C. I haven't noticed if it'll go back to full speed...all I know is that it didn't for the 5 minutes I was standing there.

I was thinking the A/C high side pressure might be getting too high with low amounts of airflow and causing the fan to run at full speed. But pressure shouldn't build that fast on a cold start, should it? (I don't know much about A/C. Just engines lol). And why, if it's due to high high side pressure, will the fan revert back to low speed just by toggling the A/C off and on.

It does this consistently, every day. Her parents (I'm still converting them to GM) are getting irritated because they think it has a problem because my car and her moms 2015 GMC Terrain do not exhibit this behavior.

So I am reaching out to you all for a possible explanation...I'm stumped. I think it's normal...but I can't understand why?

Thanks all!

Hey Au201,

You definitely don't have to have a Cruze to get help from me. I would be more than happy to look into this further for you, and reach out to the dealership on your girlfriend's behalf. Feel free to send me a private message along with her VIN, contact information, current mileage and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Low and medium speed fan is normal. High speed, holy **** loud is NOT normal.

There's more than one possible cause with similar symptoms. jbackburn reported here that he had a defective A/C expansion valve. I'm inclined to think that's what you have as well. Or at least something in the A/C system seems sticky such that it has problems on start up, but not if turned on later.
I read through some of that. It does seem to mirror her symptoms. I'm going over there today to check it out more and pay more attention to when it does it, what causes it, etc...I'll take my OBD dongle and check the high side pressure too. I think 450psi was mentioned in that thread. What would be considered "too high" on a normal cold start. I guess I could compare it to the Cruze. I've only heard my fan on jet engine mode twice this summer (once when it stayed on after shutdown for the first time in a year). The other time was stop and go traffic in 106 degrees.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It could also be tied to the blower motor resistor that is part of the fan. When the resistor goes you loose low fan speed. When the car want's to command low speed but can't it will command higher than high speed which is full power no resistor.

If this is under warranty this is easy for a shop to test. A scan tool can command each speed of the fan. If it all checks out then the fan and resistor block is good.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could also be tied to the blower motor resistor that is part of the fan. When the resistor goes you loose low fan speed. When the car want's to command low speed but can't it will command higher than high speed which is full power no resistor.

If this is under warranty this is easy for a shop to test. A scan tool can command each speed of the fan. If it all checks out then the fan and resistor block is good.
I was thinking about that as well. That's a good point. She needs an oil change next week anyways, so we'll mention it to the dealer. I'm just expecting "it's normal for the fan to run on a hot day." So I'm trying to figure it out before we take it so I can give them a little "nudge" if I need to ;)

Also, to customer care, thank you for reaching out. I will certainly be in contact with you if I have any trouble with the dealer :)

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
The symptom I'm focusing on is that it only comes on with the A/C and that it's intermittent. That's why I'm leaning in that direction. If it was the resistor, then the fan would stop as soon as things "cooled off". But with a stuck A/C system, it won't cool off.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay plot twist...the fan no longer goes off with the A/C. The way it happens now that I'm studying it closely...if you start it with the A/C on, the fan goes on low speed about 5 seconds after startup and then jet engine mode about 10 seconds after startup. It will then not turn off the whole time the car is running even though the coolant temperature drops to about 170.

If you start the car with the A/C off, however, the fan stays off until you turn the A/C on, at which point it turns on at low speed like it should and doesn't seem to go back to jet engine mode. The high side A/C pressure never climbed above 250psi (98 degrees ambient temperature)

So it seems as if two of my and you all's theories have been disproved. I will definitely be telling the dealer about this. I'm quite confused. Lol.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
Did the fan ever cycle from low-off-jet? IIRC, if the medium speed resistor is out, then the fan will stop instead of going to medium speed. Of course when that happens, things just get worse until "jet" is commanded. Then when things cool off a bit, it goes back to medium (which is really off) and the cycle repeats. If that's not happening, then I think we can rule out fan resistor problems.

Assuming the computer hasn't lost it's mind, something is causing it to do that. Since it's not doing it with the A/C off, then I don't think it's any sensor for engine cooling. It would have to be for the A/C. Perhaps a defective high pressure switch.

One quick thing - make sure nothing is plugged into the car's OBDII port. It's been reported that some add-ons can cause various problems if they don't play well with the car's computer bus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts