Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2014 CDT and now 2015 CDT nox and o2 sensors always going out

4689 Views 25 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Chevy Customer Care
Hi all,

I am now on my second CDT, the 2015 model. As with the 2014 model, after about three months the nox sensor went out. The dealership here would have to jump through what ever hoops that GM puts them through, just so they can prove to GM it is the nox sensor, and order another on.

Basically, each time this has occurred, either with nox or the O2 sensor, the vehicle is in the shop for at least a week.

I am trying to see if any other CDT owners have faced similar issues. I am originally from west Texas, now living in Nashville, TN. I grew up around diesels all my life, and I have owned many diesel trucks and SUV's. I was excited to learn of the CDT, but now I am having to start to wonder if I have been swindled on this.

Any information would be helpful at this point.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Reverend Red Bull
1,154 Posts
My first piece of advice would be to make sure they are always using the new/updated part, and not the original-design part for each of the sensors. Many of them have been updated. I just completed a DIY NOX Sensor #2 repair, and had to return an original-design part that was being advertised for sale using the new part number. A complete listing of the sensors, with original and updated part numbers is available at:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...-diesel-emissions-sensor-number-location.html

Another thing to check is if the hose clamps on your intake are tight. If they aren't, then unmetered air can enter your combustion, which means the fuel trims commanded based on the Mass Air Flow sensor reading will be off, and that can cause the sensors to become fouled and malfunction. Use of fuel additives with certain components or incorrect engine oil can also lead to fouling and contamination that kill sensors. See the following post regarding the air intake clamps:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-c...y-under-tightened-diesel-intake-clamps-2.html

· Reverend Red Bull
1,154 Posts
A quick question on your suggestions, wouldn't a GM dealership already know that? Considering I always return to the dealership's service, because it is still under warranty, one would expect that the techs already know this.
You would think so, but it's not always the case, as not all dealers and techs have taken the time to actually do their homework on this model and its unique tendencies.

While they might not know about the part number issue, their systems should theoretically negate the problem by sending them to the most current part when they look it up. However, the sensor I just had to return for being advertised as the new part number, but really being the old one, was through a dealer parts department's online sales person.

Most probably do not know about the loose hose clamp issue unless they get so deep into the Technical Assistance Center protocol that they get to the point of doing a smoke test. To the best of my knowledge, even though the service manual states that part of the diagnostic procedure for some of the emissions sensor codes is to check for intake or exhaust leaks, GM has never acknowledged a pattern of loose hose clamps being a documented and widespread problem with the Cruze Diesel. However, 6 of the 11 people who responded to the poll on the thread I linked above had at least one loose hose clamp, and 4 of us had 3-5 loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.