Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions on a problem I am having so I know where to start. I am losing coolant but their is no visible leak. My heat is cold until I start driving BUT my car does not over heat. I have filled my coolant 3x since August and filled the reservoir up 3 wks ago and checked it today and it was low low. Also, my car was all the way warmed up according to my dash gauge but it sucked NO coolant in anywhere. What could this be? Sometimes when I am sitting and I turn the heat it will blow hot for a second and then go back to cold. Please help I cant afford to replace multiple things to try to fix it. It's also winter here and it's the only car I have to get back and forth to work.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,149 Posts
You need to keep filling the coolant, or you will destroy the engine.
Check the engine oil, does it look milky?
Check the exhaust, does it smell sweet?
You also need to look for leaks. After the engine is warm use a strong flashlight and look around. Often the coolant won't drip all the way to the ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil looks good, have not checked the exhaust me and a couple other ppl were under the hood looking for leaks and didn't see anything. I am keeping coolant in it. Do you have any idea why my heat blowing cold air when filled with coolant? Also, it wasn't sucking any coolsnt in when my car was at temp with the heat turned on.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Cruze Limited LT 1.4T
53 Posts
If the leak isn’t internally (aka head gasket failure) then there must be a leak externally somewhere. From experience with my wifes cruze, I’ve had the coolant reservoir itself leak, it was the smallest hairline crack and it was seeping out coolant from the back/bottom, also the heater hoses (both inlet and outlet) are prone to leaking at the ends where it attaches near your firewall, my guess is the o-rings in the hose connectors deteriorates over time. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
457 Posts
also what engine do you have? the 1.8l has a throttle body heater bypass running off the thermostat. that can for a leak too. also check your hose clamps, specially if they're rusty. a split only will look okay but wont seal.

as for the heater blowing hot and then cooling off. It can be due to an air pocket in the heater core section of plumbing. usually filling everything up and running the engine with heat at full (thermostat regulates the passage) will burp the section.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,986 Posts
Thanks guys, will do all of this and I will follow up with what is found. As far as engine I'm not to sure maybe LS
Do you have a turbo charger?

Does it look like this
Motor vehicle Vehicle Personal luxury car Auto part Car

or this

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
457 Posts
Okay brain fart...

When ever the system gets low there may be a need to burp the radiator.

Explains everything you mentioned to a tee, even my own current situation. Lol forgot that one.

So it's easy, wait till the car is a safe temp to mess with. A simple tool can be a quarter and a pair of pliers / vicegrips, quarter fits into the plastic plug. The radiator vent plug is located on the passenger side... Left hand side of the radiator when standing infront of the car, under the hood kick stand.

Open the reservoir, top up. Then open the radiator vent plug, wait until it leaks. Screw back up, if reservoir is empty fill it back up. Next give one of the rad hoses a squeeze, and then the other to work out any air. Top up reservoir, cap. And go for a drive. Aftwards do a final top off of the reservoir.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had coolant issue with my 2014 Cruze as well.

My story goes as follows. I noticed small puddles on driver side. I would fill reservoir to the mark once every few weeks or so. Then one day my heat went from blowing hot, to blowing cold and the notification center said engine was overheating. I pulled over, and then temperature went back to normal and drove home. I bought a thermostat, replaced it and topped coolant off to the fill mark (didn't bleed or burp) and next day I had another puddle. I noticed my reservoir cap was looking bad so I replaced it and this time burped it.

I would check the side of the reservoir and see if it's wet at all. If it is, replace that reservoir cap. However, with you saying it blows cold, I would guess you have air in the coolant system and/or thermostat needs to be bled. Replacing the reservoir cap and bleeding the coolant system is probably the least costly and easiest step.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts