Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2014- Chevy Cruze 2.0 TD (brakes popping)

12K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Trumpet17 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, so I have a 2014 Cruze TD and noticed that when the windows are rolled down or I am outside the car and the car is put into drive that this is like a tri tone high pitch popping (I think that is the best way to describe it) and then it’s in drive and you are driving it around you can hear the same popping when the brakes are depressed (you only hear it when the car is in drive in the brakes are depressed) so I was wondering if anybody knew what it was or can help I have looked at a bunch of other threads and haven’t really found anything similar closest one was about an axle nut being loose but you would hear that all the time right? And I only hear it when the car is put into gear and when you brake when in gear. Hopefully I posted in the right discussion!

This is is my first Cruze and I love it!

Thanks all I appreciate y’alls help!

#2 ·
Sounds like it could be a CV joint.... maybe in the inner one that’s up against the transmission. Have you been able to confirm no tears in any of the CV joint boots? Take a couple pictures. Just turn the wheel enough to get a couple shots.

I had the same popping noise. Try rocking the car back and forth when it’s parked. See if you get the same noise. Let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Sounds like it could be a CV joint.... maybe in the inner one that’s up against the transmission. Have you been able to confirm no tears in any of the CV joint boots? Take a couple pictures. Just turn the wheel enough to get a couple shots.

I had the same popping noise. Try rocking the car back and forth when it’s parked. See if you get the same noise. Let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From further review it also makes this sound upon turning the wheel left and right as.

#7 ·
When you saying driving around, does the noise happen while the pressing the brake pedal while the vehicle is moving or do you hear it when stopped and letting up and pressing the brakes. The Aisin trans on the first-gen diesel uses a neutral idle when stopped with the brake pedal depressed (i.e. it essentially shifts to neutral internally to reduce engine load and save fuel) and can make some noise.

If it's happening while the vehicle is in motion and is a popping type noise, you might want to go through the suspension and brake caliper hardware and make sure everything is torqued down correctly and lubed a appropriate. Also make sure the wheel mating surface and hubs are clean and the lug nuts torqued correctly.

Unfortunately noises are very difficult to troubleshoot over the internet and even hard to capture on video. For some other suggestions on things to check any other small details on exactly the conditions it occurs and steps to reproduce the noise might help.

#9 ·
I hear it in both scenarios. When I am stopped you can hear it when you intially brake, like start braking you hear it but then it stops until you have to brake again. But if I were to put it into park it intially will make the sound most of the time if I depress the brakes again but after that it stops. Until i put it into gear again. Ah okay that’s good to know!

I mean I think it’s a popping but like some people that have heard it kinda say it’s a clicking like three in a tri tone pattern(if that makes sense) I am thinking it has to do with the brakes but it is weird that it does it when you turn the wheel. You can hear it outside the car but of course inside you can’t (which is good, too bad I have a sunroof and like to drive with the windows down lol)

#11 ·
Since you've tested and it also makes the noise when turning the wheel, if you haven't done so already it might be good to have someone sit in the car and with the engine off and no power steering assist have them rock the wheel left and right with the wheels on the ground while you put your ear down close to each front wheel and see if you can narrow it down to on side.

If you get the same noise turning the wheel and also braking, that might narrow it down to something like a control arm bushing, ball joint, tie rods (internal or outer joints), or less likely, possibly a wheel bearing or maybe an upper strut mount bearing.

#12 ·
So my next question, I know it depends on the usage and driving condition and what not. The car only had 37203 miles on it so what’s the likely hood of a wheel bearing or ball joint or something like that to be bad???

Would it help if I posted a video of it? And how would I do that?
(Kinda new to me lol)

It’s strange to me would could cause that I have had ball joints go bad in the past with other cars and it was a creaking or groaning and it was pretty apparent and if it was a tie rod I would think it would be more frequently like while driveing and turning, with this it only happens when first intially put into gear, and when you press the brakes. And when you turn all the way both ways(maybe just power steering for that)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.