Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and girls my name is angel and I just got a 2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4t that had a bad head gasket I just got the car fixed now with a new head and head gasket and now the check engine light is on with 4 different codes
P0420
P0236
P0238
P2227

·
Registered
955 Posts
Catalytic converter is bad and/or partially clogged. That is my best guess based on those 4 codes. It is not uncommon after a head gasket leak for a cat to be damaged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So you would just recommend me to replace the cat or turbo as well because some guy is telling me to replace both of them at once and done I just spend 1k for the head I’m kind of low on cash

·
Registered
955 Posts
So you would just recommend me to replace the cat or turbo as well because some guy is telling me to replace both of them at once and done I just spend 1k for the head I’m kind of low on cash
I would plan to replace the catalytic converter. Check turbo shaft play, compressor and turbine blades. I don't think the turbo is the problem. Remove the cat and look inside. If its clogged it should be easy to tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello guys and girls my name is angel and I just got a 2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4t that had a bad head gasket I just got the car fixed now with a new head and head gasket and now the check engine light is on with 4 different codes
P0420
P0236
P0238
P2227
I had this issue a month ago exact same car. No mater how I got it worked on it just kept popping up another code. Including all above listed but mainly the turbo. We came to find out that the whole engine had to be replaced due to internal deterioration causing metal shaving to plug up the engine and giving one problem after another.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would plan to replace the catalytic converter. Check turbo shaft play, compressor and turbine blades. I don't think the turbo is the problem. Remove the cat and look inside. If its clogged it should be easy to tell.
so my car is being diagnosed as of right now by a local shop and they are quoting me 750 for the catalytic converter. And so my best bet would be to disassemble the turbo and check the internal turbo blades correct? And if the cat is clogged is there anything I can do to fix it? Or any cheaper option if available

·
Registered
955 Posts
so my car is being diagnosed as of right now by a local shop and they are quoting me 750 for the catalytic converter. And so my best bet would be to disassemble the turbo and check the internal turbo blades correct? And if the cat is clogged is there anything I can do to fix it? Or any cheaper option if available
Can just peak at turbo by removing the intake pipe from the filter. The exhaust side would require removing the cat. Can tell shaft play from either side.

Only way to repair a damaged cat is replacing and cheap aftermarket ones don't seem to be good enough to prevent code P0420. $750 is that just for the part?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can just peak at turbo by removing the intake pipe from the filter. The exhaust side would require removing the cat. Can tell shaft play from either side.

Only way to repair a damaged cat is replacing and cheap aftermarket ones don't seem to be good enough to prevent code P0420. $750 is that just for the part?
$750 for the cat installed brand walker do you think that would be a good component to purchase

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
That one is not CARB compliant. Depends on where you live but the price on rock auto is nearly the same for either one. The CARB compliant one is 50 state legal and likely slightly better.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8833212
Well I live in California so I need to pass smog so the 16659 won’t work for me right? I want to do things right and not have problems not passing emissions

·
Registered
955 Posts
Well I live in California so I need to pass smog so the 16659 won’t work for me right? I want to do things right and not have problems not passing emissions
It would not be legal for you or them to install in California and it could fail smog.
Use the CARB compliant one. Walker 84180.

·
Registered
955 Posts
👍🏻 Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it
Did your head gasket fail prior to these codes or did they come on without prior trouble? Just want to make sure you correct any other issues that could have caused the cat. to fail before the new cat. gets installed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts