Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I found this site via Google and thought it a good idea to join since I am searching for a Cruze diesel. Want another diesel cause I have a 09 Duramax. I found a Cruze diesel about an hour from me for a good price, but its a GM buy back. It had a DEF system problem and O2 sensor problem, they replaced the DEF tank and O2 sensor and now its listed for sale with the branded title. Your situation Gary sounded similar to what this car had been through. I thought I would write and see how your car is today, if it was resolved or if you still have problems. This one is a 14 with 5.5k miles, listed for 15g's. I don't plan on selling it. Very hesitant about buying a buy back car, but if you had good luck with yours, this may not be a bad deal. I understand its got the 8 year 80k mile emissions warranty too. Thanks in advance.
Gary hasn't been back to the forum since 2014 so i doubt you will hear from him. My comment is that if the car is properly fixed, it should be OK. These cars, once properly sorted, are great cars. I have 162K miles on mine as a testament to that. If you can verify the car no longer has issues and can get it for about 30 percent below market value because of the branded title (Think: $9000) then it might be an OK deal.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Moving this thread to the diesel section.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I think I found the car you are talking about. The Carfax is not extremely informative, but it does show 3 service visits early on.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=20001&endYear=2014&modelCode1=CRUZE&showcaseOwnerId=570914&makeCode1=CHEV&startYear=2014&firstRecord=0&maxMileage=15000&searchRadius=25&showcaseListingId=423888905&trim1=CRUZE|Diesel&mmt=[CHEV[CRUZE[CRUZE%7CDiesel]][]]&listingId=408012370&Log=0

I notice they very carefully block the part of the IC that would show a check engine light. Their asking price for such a vehicle is absurd.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
There are certified used ones in that price range with higher miles, but also with clean titles...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I think the price is just way to high. Car itself may be fine if repaired properly. The branded title will follow this car forever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, diesel, that is the one. And I agree on the price, if you can knock them down quite a bit and if everything is in order, it would be a good deal. I plan on keeping it for a long time. But like Chris said, at that same asking price, there is a 14 with 24k miles in a metallic red for 15k, or theres another one in standard red same miles and everything certified for 16k... Both with clean titles...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
The buyback part that messes the title up in a way isn't a big deal for those that understand these cars. I would kick them hard on price. Some of the other cars you look at may have had emissions related repairs too but just not a buyback. I don't find the car fax very good sometimes. I would suggest you have the service history pulled by a Chevrolet dealer prior to purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The buyback part that messes the title up in a way isn't a big deal for those that understand these cars. I would kick them hard on price. Some of the other cars you look at may have had emissions related repairs too but just not a buyback. I don't find the car fax very good sometimes. I would suggest you have the service history pulled by a Chevrolet dealer prior to purchase.
Certainly will do if it gets that far, however, I don't think it will. We'll see tho. The carfax shows very little info. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
One more point is that it's been on the dealer's lot for at least 6 months. I would think they want it off the books ASAP. If you drive it, make sure to drive at least 25 miles and make sure there are no CEL and also have them pull codes to make sure nothing pending. if that's all good, mention you know they've been sitting on it for months and you'll give them $9000. What's the worst they can do, say no? :) Keep us posted!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd look for new one. You would be staring with a clean slate and able to watch all service. There are a few out there at great prices. If you really need this one due to location/availability I'd ask for a week/2000 mile test drive. Give it a real test then negotiate price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk. You are not alone. I bought a 2014 CTD with GM BUY BACK last October 2015. GM had to buy it back because due to very strong California Lemon Law after two failed attempts at repairing life-threatening defects. It was only an O2 sensor issue. It was fixed and tested for 200 miles without an issue. Of course the price went down to only 15,600 dollars with only 23K and now logged over 33K without a problem. Yes, it has to be put on title as well. I am not worrying because I am planning to keep it for a long time. I always enjoy driving my CTD everyday. My old job was a Avalanche that I drove from home to airport and back home every other week for six years. Got a job offer that I did not apply, I no longer going to airport. I drive more for the state of Arizona, did not want to put more miles on my Avalanche so I bought a CTD. So far no regrets! CTD has plenty of torgue! Let us know if you bought buy back CTD. ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I shot an e-mail to them about the price and I haven't heard a peep more! Maybe if they get desperate they will message me, but they obviously don't communicate there, lol... I'll keep you all informed.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I shot an e-mail to them about the price and I haven't heard a peep more! Maybe if they get desperate they will message me, but they obviously don't communicate there, lol... I'll keep you all informed.
You know, it's funny and sad. I have sent emails to multiple dealers that more or less shouted "I AM READY TO BUY NOW WITH CASH IN HAND" only to get absolutely no response. Many dealers are sorely lacking in ability to handle internet inquiries.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Com'on guys......e-mail as a negotiating tool?

Consider this.....you are a car salesman......you can either waste your time responding to e-mails, usually containing ridiculous purchass offers, OR, you can talk/negotiate with someone, in the building, that very likely WILL buy, today.

I'm not a salesman, but I think my thought process is the same as most other humans.......I'd grab the warm body......I'll look at e-mail if/when I'm bored.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Com'on guys......e-mail as a negotiating tool?

Consider this.....you are a car salesman......you can either waste your time responding to e-mails, usually containing ridiculous purchass offers, OR, you can talk/negotiate with someone, in the building, that very likely WILL buy, today.

I'm not a salesman, but I think my thought process is the same as most other humans.......I'd grab the warm body......I'll look at e-mail if/when I'm bored.

Rob
That makes sense, but it's a changing world. Many people shop online for cars. They want to click "add to cart" and enter the credit card number and *poof* a car shows up. Maybe not quite to that extreme, but online shoppers are often serious about buying. I would happily be the internet guy at a dealership. I challenge that I would outsell all the other salespeople combined.

Even GM agrees with me. http://www.autonews.com/article/20160113/RETAIL01/160119843/gm-to-launch-online-portal-for-low-mileage-used-cars

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
Most dealerships these days have "internet sales" folks. You need to get to them if you're looking on-line. Traditional car salesmen are simply not of the mindset to deal with the internet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I was looking for CTD via internet and submitted questions as I am interested in. I received the reply via email quickly. I ended up buying CTD. I have seen dealerships now have internet salesmen. - 25 yrs ago, bought a 1991 Toyota Camry, 11 months later, it was totaled and my ex wife was preg and walked away. That time, it does not have airbag being in place. It was other driver's fault who ran stop sign into busy street in Washington DC. So looked for 1992 Camry, made several calls and asked for flat price of 13K, told salesman, if it goes over 13K, I will walk away. So we came to a dealership and saw white one and test drive, so wanted that car and signed the paperwork and drove home within 45 minutes. That was the shortest time I had. The longest one I had was 4 hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I doubt this is the problem at 9300 miles. It takes a lot longer than this to clog the sensors unless you're using crap diesel. Something else is causing this yet. I'd call the dealership around 9 AM tomorrow.
Actually, I have had my 2104 Diesel Cruze since Jan, 2014. It has been in the shop for check engine light 4 times now. Today being the 4th. They have replaced oxygen sensor, and this time even did the nox sensor. I will have to look at papers again to see if they changed the nox sensor any of the other times. I drive 14 miles one way to work at speeds up to 60 mph. This should be sufficient to burn off soot. I get diesel at a newer Valero station (ultra-low-sulfur). I will check other places where I live to see if there are better diesel options.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Actually, I have had my 2104 Diesel Cruze since Jan, 2014. It has been in the shop for check engine light 4 times now. Today being the 4th. They have replaced oxygen sensor, and this time even did the nox sensor. I will have to look at papers again to see if they changed the nox sensor any of the other times. I drive 14 miles one way to work at speeds up to 60 mph. This should be sufficient to burn off soot. I get diesel at a newer Valero station (ultra-low-sulfur). I will check other places where I live to see if there are better diesel options.
Off the top of my head, it seems as if your car may need to have the updated fuel trim available from the dealership. Did they do this for you by any chance?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Lucky you you're wrong. The emissions system is covered by a federally mandated 8yr/80,000 mile warranty of its own.
Nope it's not. My o2 sensor wasent covered my egt wasent. My participate sensor isn't. All after the 3 36 warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 84,000 miles on mine and have had nothing but problems with the emissions system. I've had the catalytic converter replaced, the heater to clean the particulate filter and now they're telling me it's sensors...of course, after the 80,000 mile warranty is out. I've replaced one sensor to the tune of $350, now they're telling me 2 more are bad to the tune of $800. GM has agreed to pick up $240 of that (don't know how they came up with that figure), I'm still arguing with them. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that's having issues...would love to join a class action law suit!!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts