Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm a new cruze owner.. and I still don't know everything about it, like what the heck does that squiggle button with tires do to the right of the shift thing?:tongue:
And is there a interior trunk switch anywhere? :)

I bought this cruze this summer with 2,000 miles on it.. so since then I've put 7k miles on it so far.. the car was hit in the rear right door and I have not repaired the damage yet otherwise then replace the door, mirror etc.

The car's location is kansas city, mo.. I'd be willing to drive it to another location probably for a fee and travel back.. otherwise I'm fine if you want it towed somewhere too..?

I do not know if it has special transmission functions like ?? drivetrain or whatever all that stuff is.. the interior color is red.. or see photos..

I do know however it has.. aluminum wheel/rims, bluetooth, usb pioneer cd stereo, xm/sirius radio, onstar, the driver seat is powered, and of course it has power windows, mirrors etc.

20150716_162114.jpg 20150716_162121.jpg 20150716_162328.jpg 20150716_162333.jpg IMG_20150806_095021227.jpg

·
Registered
134 Posts
That looks like a good $4k in damage at least. Do you just not want to get it fixed?

·
2,254 Posts
Hi, I'm a new cruze owner.. and I still don't know everything about it, like what the heck does that squiggle button with tires do to the right of the shift thing?:tongue:
That's to deactivate/activate traction control. If you press and hold it for a little while it will also deactivate/activate Stability and Traction Control.

And is there a interior trunk switch anywhere? :)
Nope.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks like a good $4k in damage at least. Do you just not want to get it fixed?
No, I will fix it overtime.. but right now just figured sell cheaper..

Yes, why didn't you have your car insurance cover the damage?
They totaled the car under car insurance.. I bought it after that.. it's not my hit.. :shrug shoulders icon that's not here:

·
2,254 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow neat I'm definitely updated now.. so how do you tell if there on or off? is there a status display somewhere? And I do have 2 other questions.. is there a known issue with the tire pressure readout system.. cause mine is driving me crazy.. or what's the psi that the tires are supposed to be at? #2 is why does car have a display on/off for the passengers seat airbag??

·
2,254 Posts
No.. my last car was a 99' kia that I drove since 2003.. so ah, yah I'm behind on the latest new fangled gadgets.. you kids and your cellphones :tongue:
:D My 98 Grand Am had traction control! :tongue: It's amazing how far we have got.

·
2,254 Posts
wow neat I'm definitely updated now.. so how do you tell if there on or off? is there a status display somewhere? And I do have 2 other questions.. is there a known issue with the tire pressure readout system.. cause mine is driving me crazy.. or what's the psi that the tires are supposed to be at? #2 is why does car have a display on/off for the passengers seat airbag??
Press it! Lights should come on in the instrument cluster and the little screen should read "traction control off" for a brief moment. Then when you turn it back on the lights will go away and the little screen should read "traction control on".

I can't remember what the exact tire pressure is supposed to be, but mine are inflated to 32 PSI. What's it doing?

As far as the airbag, most modern cars have that little screen nowadays. Heck even my old '98 Tacoma had it too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't remember what the exact tire pressure is supposed to be, but mine are inflated to 32 PSI. What's it doing?
I have given it 32 PSI.. multiple times.. but it still goes off.. I think maybe/possibly/likely maybe a strut/shock/suspension stuff is damaged/out on the door and tire that was hit.. maybe it's causing false readouts on the tire pressure system.. but yah I'd say it's giving me false readouts.. I trust the tire gauge on my electric tire pump more then I trust the readout system at this time.. if the readout rely's on some kind of balancedness in the car? then maybe that would again explain why the psi readout is wrong.. and other thing that have happened with the rear suspension...

·
2,254 Posts
Not exactly sure how tire pressure sensors work - maybe someone else can chime in on this.

I'd imagine something is messed up with the system after looking at the damage.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
OP?

What exactly is the tire pressure readout doing?
Meaning, no readout, or, inaccurate readout, or a service TPMS warning.......a bit more specific please.

The traction control can be disabled because certain situations call for a bit of wheelspin.....like getting unstuck from snow.
When traction control is on (always on unless button pushed) the brake computer 'see's' wheelspin and applies the brake to that wheel....a control aid at speed.

BTW, your cold tire pressure is 35psi....should be a decal on the drivers door pillar.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP?

What exactly is the tire pressure readout doing?
What the system reports for tire pressure isn't accurate to the built-in tire pressure gauge (it's off by up to 8 psi per tire) in my electronic air pump.. (this is my 2nd+ air pump and so I don't think it's the pump that is inaccurate)

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
What the system reports for tire pressure isn't accurate to the built-in tire pressure gauge (it's off by up to 8 psi per tire) in my electronic air pump.. (this is my 2nd+ air pump and so I don't think it's the pump that is inaccurate)
Alrighty then......personnal experience, two GM cars with TPMS and several of my sons company GMC trucks.

Sometimes the monitors, for whatever reason, seem to lose their orientation baseline and give rather inaccurate information until I 'Relearn' the system using the relearn tool.
Once the relearn has been performed, they generally are spot on (using my two electronic gauges as baseline).

The sensors are not dead accurate from the standpoint of if I set the pressure anywhere from say, 39.7 to 40.3, my dashboard readout will be 40psi.
So, they round up or down.....or the receiver rounds up or down.

As you can tell, I use rather highline pressure tools and this is a result of truly getting what you pay for......each were just under $200.00...and were a necessity when I used to autoX often.......sort of overkill for the daily but........what the heck.
However, having them has shown me the rather large inaccuracy of the majority of inexpensive gauges out there.

Anyways, for now, have them relearned (most tire stores do this N/C) and go from there.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alrighty then......personnal experience, two GM cars with TPMS and several of my sons company GMC trucks.

Sometimes the monitors, for whatever reason, seem to lose their orientation baseline and give rather inaccurate information until I 'Relearn' the system using the relearn tool.
Once the relearn has been performed, they generally are spot on (using my two electronic gauges as baseline).

The sensors are not dead accurate from the standpoint of if I set the pressure anywhere from say, 39.7 to 40.3, my dashboard readout will be 40psi.
So, they round up or down.....or the receiver rounds up or down.

As you can tell, I use rather highline pressure tools and this is a result of truly getting what you pay for......each were just under $200.00...and were a necessity when I used to autoX often.......sort of overkill for the daily but........what the heck.
However, having them has shown me the rather large inaccuracy of the majority of inexpensive gauges out there.

Anyways, for now, have them relearned (most tire stores do this N/C) and go from there.

Rob
oaky thanks.. :)

One thing I did notice this evening is.. the lowest psi is on the damaged tire.. (of all 3 reporting low) or near the damaged/door hit section.. aka passenger side lower/back one.. so the entire system going haywire can have something to do with it.. the other day I took my car to MN for the 2nd time and I agreed to transport these close to 100 pound transformers.. for $100 both of them were put in my "trunk" and the second the closer to 100 pound one was when put in.. the shock?/strut gave out and you could tell the load was bringing the car down about 3-5 inches from where it was.. so that also lead to me hearing that the tire (on certain highway bumps) was hitting the cover above it.. so I had to re-shift the car and the weight to not put weight in that section.. and that seemed to help "not hearing it" so one of these things you learn when you buy a hit car ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts