Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently about 3 months ago, I replaced the following. Intake, valve cover, head gasket, pcv valve, coolant housing. Now, after all that this car drove like a top. The other day I drove an hour and a half to work sat at a drive thru and this thing started getting hot. The fan kicked on very loud. So, I checked under the hood. Coolant overflow reservoir was boiling hot and blowing hot air out of it.

I figured a thermostat. So, I took the old thermostat out and it was in pieces as the spring and metal piece that held the spring were all in pieces. So, I buy one and throw it in.

Now, I go to test the car out. Still gets hot. If you drive down the road with the heat full blast it will stay around normal on the temp gauge. If you slow to a stop or idle or turn the heater off it will go straight to hot on the gauge. If I’m at an idle it will blow cold air when the heater is on. I have ZERO leaks. Oil is good. Not losing any fluids. Something is going on that has me stumped. Please any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1.6L Diesel
27 Posts
I'd put a coolant pressure tester on it, see if it loses pressure over time, and/or the pressure cap. If not, maybe use a combustion leak tester, make sure that head gasket hasn't failed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd put a coolant pressure tester on it, see if it loses pressure over time, and/or the pressure cap. If not, maybe use a combustion leak tester, make sure that head gasket hasn't failed.
I want to say my head gasket may have failed. Although the oil looks good. It has started to lose coolant somewhere. I would squeeze the hose and seems like there is no pressure at all. My tailpipe has a oily wet residue inside it and does leave a little wet spot on the ground. I’m not mechanic by any means. But, I can fix anything. Diagnosis is my issues. How bad of a job is a head gasket yourself? Doesn’t look to terrible.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1.6L Diesel
27 Posts
I want to say my head gasket may have failed. Although the oil looks good. It has started to lose coolant somewhere. I would squeeze the hose and seems like there is no pressure at all. My tailpipe has a oily wet residue inside it and does leave a little wet spot on the ground. I’m not mechanic by any means. But, I can fix anything. Diagnosis is my issues. How bad of a job is a head gasket yourself? Doesn’t look to terrible.
It is a little time consuming, but if you're confident in your DIY skills, its not too bad. You may need to get some special tools to keep your timing components lined up and stuff, unless someone else can chime in with other ideas of how to do it in a DIY fashion, I personally grab tools here from the dealership I work at. Here's a PDF with the process, see if you'd like to tackle it.

Here's some Youtube videos for some insight as well

Attachments

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,696 Posts
Recently about 3 months ago, I replaced the following. Intake, valve cover, head gasket, pcv valve, coolant housing. Now, after all that this car drove like a top. The other day I drove an hour and a half to work sat at a drive thru and this thing started getting hot. The fan kicked on very loud. So, I checked under the hood. Coolant overflow reservoir was boiling hot and blowing hot air out of it.

I figured a thermostat. So, I took the old thermostat out and it was in pieces as the spring and metal piece that held the spring were all in pieces. So, I buy one and throw it in.

Now, I go to test the car out. Still gets hot. If you drive down the road with the heat full blast it will stay around normal on the temp gauge. If you slow to a stop or idle or turn the heater off it will go straight to hot on the gauge. If I’m at an idle it will blow cold air when the heater is on. I have ZERO leaks. Oil is good. Not losing any fluids. Something is going on that has me stumped. Please any help would be appreciated!
When you say coolant housing, do you mean the water outlet?
When you say you replaced the PCV valve, do you mean the intake manifold, valve cover or the hose that goes to the turbo?
What thermostat did you install?
You may have air in the cooling system.
Look at the passenger side of the engine. Look near the water pump. If that is leaking, there is a PI for that.
You may need to test the two temp sensors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say you replaced the PCV valve, do you mean the intake manifold, valve cover or the hose that goes to the turbo?
Look at the passenger side of the engine. Look near the water pump. If that is leaking, there is a PI for that.

Yes, the water outlet. That goes on the drivers side of the block, it cracked awhile ago. I replaced it. The PCV valve as in the hose to turbo as well as the whole intake and valve cover. Thermostat I installed was just a $100 one from Advanced Auto. I bled the coolant to get air out of the system. Still was doing the same thing. I’m not leaking any coolant at all. However, I am losing it at a pace. It’s going somewhere but no leaks. I’m assuming head gasket. Water pump isn’t leaking. How do I test the two sensors and where are they exactly located?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

My exhaust pipe is leaving a wet spot on the ground behind the car, and is fairly wet when I stick a finger inside the pipe. Like I said previously im no mechanic so my diagnosis of things is very slim. But, I make due with what I can find.

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts
Yes, the water outlet. That goes on the drivers side of the block, it cracked awhile ago. I replaced it. The PCV valve as in the hose to turbo as well as the whole intake and valve cover. Thermostat I installed was just a $100 one from Advanced Auto. I bled the coolant to get air out of the system. Still was doing the same thing. I’m not leaking any coolant at all. However, I am losing it at a pace. It’s going somewhere but no leaks. I’m assuming head gasket. Water pump isn’t leaking. How do I test the two sensors and where are they exactly located?
The second thread I posted above has a link for testing the sensors.
If you buy new sensors, make sure the silver pin one goes in radiator and gold pin one goes near the throttle body.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The second thread I posted above has a link for testing the sensors.
If you buy new sensors, make sure the silver pin one goes in radiator and gold pin one goes near the throttle body.
I can find a Engine coolant temp sensor which would have the gold. But, I believe that’s the only sensor I can find. The radiator does not have a sensor I can find. Also, when I call my parts store or go online I can only find the engine coolant temp sensor.

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts
I can find a Engine coolant temp sensor which would have the gold. But, I believe that’s the only sensor I can find. The radiator does not have a sensor I can find. Also, when I call my parts store or go online I can only find the engine coolant temp sensor.
Temp Sensor Part Numbers: 2014 cruze what should i do
Temp Sensor Locations: Temp Sensor Location

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Temp Sensor Part Numbers: 2014 cruze what should i do
Temp Sensor Locations: Temp Sensor Location
Alright, I just went out and bought a water pump. Just so I knew everything was new. The sensors are both good. After putting the water pump on I now get hot heat and it stays at operating temperature. However, there’s a weird noise going on like a pulley. Not sure. Also, if left running at operating temp or if I give it 2000-2500 rpm’s it will eventually start blowing coolant back into the coolant reservoir and it will start blowing out the air vent on the reservoir. Temp gauge stays normal. But, the reservoir will start bubbling and boiling really bad until it starts spitting coolant out of the air vent. Then you can hear coolant just boiling if you listen closely when you shut the engine off.

I’m going to say that the head gasket is the only thing I haven’t done yet.

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts
Alright, I just went out and bought a water pump. Just so I knew everything was new. The sensors are both good. After putting the water pump on I now get hot heat and it stays at operating temperature. However, there’s a weird noise going on like a pulley. Not sure. Also, if left running at operating temp or if I give it 2000-2500 rpm’s it will eventually start blowing coolant back into the coolant reservoir and it will start blowing out the air vent on the reservoir. Temp gauge stays normal. But, the reservoir will start bubbling and boiling really bad until it starts spitting coolant out of the air vent. Then you can hear coolant just boiling if you listen closely when you shut the engine off.

I’m going to say that the head gasket is the only thing I haven’t done yet.
SB-10070878-5448.pdf
Buy a cheap endoscope and look at the pistons.
This can also tell you many things.
Cheap compression tester

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update-

I have the Cruze tore down. The head is off of the car. I’ll attach pictures of it.

Now, I’ll clean it all up. But, I did notice that the two guides that are plastic broke by the timing chain pulling the head off. I’ll have to order those. Also, there’s the plastic piece on top of the head that broke as well, any idea what that part is? I’m having trouble finding it. I’ll attach a picture of it as well.

Another mishap I kind of had was my pin holding the timing chain tensioner in place on the head came out and shot a spring out of it. Any ideas on how to put that back or tips? Or do I need to just replace it? Like I said. I’m no mechanic but I have the how to and drive.

Also, I do have the crankshaft tool in place. But, if the timing moved how can I tell or maybe put it back in? I should have marked it at Top dead center but was in the zone and forgot. This car may or may not ever run again. But, it was worth the old try. 😂
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Auto part Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Electrical wiring Circuit component

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts
Update-

I have the Cruze tore down. The head is off of the car. I’ll attach pictures of it.

Now, I’ll clean it all up. But, I did notice that the two guides that are plastic broke by the timing chain pulling the head off. I’ll have to order those. Also, there’s the plastic piece on top of the head that broke as well, any idea what that part is? I’m having trouble finding it. I’ll attach a picture of it as well.

Another mishap I kind of had was my pin holding the timing chain tensioner in place on the head came out and shot a spring out of it. Any ideas on how to put that back or tips? Or do I need to just replace it? Like I said. I’m no mechanic but I have the how to and drive.

Also, I do have the crankshaft tool in place. But, if the timing moved how can I tell or maybe put it back in? I should have marked it at Top dead center but was in the zone and forgot. This car may or may not ever run again. But, it was worth the old try. 😂 View attachment 298429 View attachment 298431 View attachment 298432
I believe that comes with the rebuild kit. I had to do mine a year or so ago (IIRC) and everything has been great with the timing except when my new exhaust position sensor decided it was drunk. Good thing your fixing that now as this is an interference engine and it could have detonated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts