Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is this rattling noise that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of my head. It does not do it all the time, but when it does occur it stays around for part of the day and then stops and then I won't hear it again for a few days or even a few weeks. At first I thought maybe a lifter, but this engine does not have lifters. You will not hear it at idle or low rpm, but once it gets around 2500/3000 you start hearing the rattling. At 4000 and higher it is really bad.
At first i was thinking it could be the timing chain, but thought why would it only do it from time to time and not all the time. I have check the chain and it seems pretty tight. The car drives fine when the rattling is not occurring. When the rattling is occurring and I get on it I can feel the engine jerk and it feels a little restrained on power almost even sounds like i can hear it backfire.
I was wondering if this could be the camshaft actuators or maybe something with the springs or valves. Could something not be getting good oil because it is clogged or could a valve get stuck open from time to time?
Wish I would had gotten a video to share but didn't think about it at the time.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,409 Posts
So there is this rattling noise that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of my head. It does not do it all the time, but when it does occur it stays around for part of the day and then stops and then I won't hear it again for a few days or even a few weeks.
You really need to stop going out on benders, you know...:sick:

It could be #7 on the list.
Click, tick and rattle cause and fix list'

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i get what you meant. I was like there is no way I could have drunk posted. Then i was thinking wait did someone hack my account. Wtf is going on here.
I was getting worried someone had my information.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
Ok i get what you meant. I was like there is no way I could have drunk posted. Then i was thinking wait did someone hack my account. Wtf is going on here.
I was getting worried someone had my information.
It may not be number 7, but there are plenty other possibilities on the list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 1.4 sonic, what i called intermittent tapping on that same passenger side of the head with associated loss of power. actually i was getting a knock code. turned out it was a loose oil guide under the valve cover

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing I could think of that would cause that type of clacking rattle sound would be something like a chain, guide or maybe a stuck open valve. It is not a loose guide or loose chain i have checked. I ran some seafoam through my oil and just redid my oil pan and crank pulley seal. Checked the chain from the bottom and it is tight as can be.
Been about a month now since i last experienced the noise. I really do lean toward a stuck valve. Just the way it sounded and felt when driving, but i could be wrong.
I feel like it is going to be one of those things that happens, goes away, and annoys me because I never figured out what it was.
If it ever happens again i will update this with audio.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 1.4 sonic, what i called intermittent tapping on that same passenger side of the head with associated loss of power. actually i was getting a knock code. turned out it was a loose oil guide under the valve cover
Which is what my suggestion was above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts