Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs: 2014 Chevy Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo 88,500 miles, 5yr 3mo old

Brought car to local shop for scheduled maintenance according to manual (brake fluid, spark plugs, flush and fill coolant).
Of the 2 gallons OEM AC/Delco DEXCOOL coolant and distilled water, they only used 1 gallon and I noted that the coolant was sitting just below the arrow marker in the surge tank when cold.

A few weeks later, I noticed the coolant was very low in the reservoir.

The surge tank is almost empty consistently at the same spot when hot OR cold as shown here:
The engine temperature has function as normal, always resting just below the halfway marker on the gauge after 10 min or driving (Philadelphia winter fyi). The coolant level has never fluctuated in the 5 years of ownership until I just had it replaced. I don't recall any coolant odors in the cabin, other than a little bit of chemical odor when running the A/C briefly on warmer days. Should I be concerned that there is a leak, or could they have just not put enough coolant in?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Specs: 2014 Chevy Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo 88,500 miles, 5yr 3mo old

Brought car to local shop for scheduled maintenance according to manual (brake fluid, spark plugs, flush and fill coolant).
Of the 2 gallons OEM AC/Delco DEXCOOL coolant and distilled water, they only used 1 gallon and I noted that the coolant was sitting just below the arrow marker in the surge tank when cold.

A few weeks later, I noticed the coolant was very low in the reservoir.

The surge tank is almost empty consistently at the same spot when hot OR cold as shown here:
The engine temperature has function as normal, always resting just below the halfway marker on the gauge after 10 min or driving (Philadelphia winter fyi). The coolant level has never fluctuated in the 5 years of ownership until I just had it replaced. I don't recall any coolant odors in the cabin, other than a little bit of chemical odor when running the A/C briefly on warmer days. Should I be concerned that there is a leak, or could they have just not put enough coolant in?
The temp gauge is considered useless. It will always sit one line below middle. I've read until it's too late. Have that shop differ bfree top it back off and let run with cap off until it's up to temp or starting to push out. All the while squeezing the hose to get any excess air out.

Then after cooled, if low again with no signs of external leaking top off again. Watch the next day.

If still going low and no external leaks then look for white smoke on start up and possible internal loss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I followed this video
to trace common leaking points and didn't notice any leaking coolant except for directly underneath the surge tank.

I noticed coolant resting on several parts directly underneath the tank as circled here and also saw a small droplet of coolant collecting on the bottom of the tank as circled:
Not sure if this means anything or if it was some spilled coolant as they filled the tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,475 Posts
I followed this video ...
to trace common leaking points and didn't notice any leaking coolant except for directly underneath the surge tank.

I noticed coolant resting on several parts directly underneath the tank as circled here and also saw a small droplet of coolant collecting on the bottom of the tank as circled:

Not sure if this means anything or if it was some spilled coolant as they filled the tank.
I only watched a minute of the video as I am at work, but he did not mention the o-ring on the cap of the reservoir as another possible leak.

As for your drips, clean everything up, drive to temp for awhile and recheck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Shop diagnosed small leak via pressure testing the system. Noted that the "turbo coolant return line" leaked and proceeded to show me small pool of coolant collecting beneath the hose.

He dismissed my thought that the reservoir might have a crack. I didn't do the work, he didn't charge me but overfilled the reservoir tank.

End of the night I checked under the hood and noticed a leak sprung from a pinhole in the tank, and larger more frequent drops dripping from the bottom of the tank. The turbo hose was dry, no evidence of a recent leak.

Not sure if I distrust the shop or if both are coincidentally leaking at the same time...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only watched a minute of the video as I am at work, but he did not mention the o-ring on the cap of the reservoir as another possible leak.

As for your drips, clean everything up, drive to temp for awhile and recheck.
I discovered the leak coming from a hairline crack on the overflow tank. I replaced it with the Dorman model and filled the coolant back up, it only took half a gallon.

Of course, now it seems I got air in the system, as I notice after driving the coolant in the tank was bubbling/boiling and there is moisture build-up on the inside top of the tank. I also noticed immediately after replacing overflow tank that the heat in the cabin comes out way hotter than normal, even on the lowest setting.

I don't have tools where I live and I am of course an idiot with this stuff, but I parked on an incline and idled with the coolant cap off for 30 minutes to try to burp the system. No luck, I noticed the radiator fan never even turned on once in 30 minutes of idling, whereas it was running normally two days ago when I replaced the overflow tank. I drove it for a few minutes, parked and noticed no bubbling in the tank but I can hear faint hissing sound from the tank, and lots of rushing/swishing water sounds coming from within the engine.

I am at a complete loss as to what to think of next, and am not in position financially to even have a mechanic look at it for at least another week.

Any tips or thoughts?

·
Registered
492 Posts
You should have bled the air out using the screw on top of the passenger side of the radiator at the top, its white. Not sure if you still can at this point, however, may be worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
7,475 Posts
I discovered the leak coming from a hairline crack on the overflow tank. I replaced it with the Dorman model and filled the coolant back up, it only took half a gallon.

Of course, now it seems I got air in the system, as I notice after driving the coolant in the tank was bubbling/boiling and there is moisture build-up on the inside top of the tank. I also noticed immediately after replacing overflow tank that the heat in the cabin comes out way hotter than normal, even on the lowest setting.

I don't have tools where I live and I am of course an idiot with this stuff, but I parked on an incline and idled with the coolant cap off for 30 minutes to try to burp the system. No luck, I noticed the radiator fan never even turned on once in 30 minutes of idling, whereas it was running normally two days ago when I replaced the overflow tank. I drove it for a few minutes, parked and noticed no bubbling in the tank but I can hear faint hissing sound from the tank, and lots of rushing/swishing water sounds coming from within the engine.

I am at a complete loss as to what to think of next, and am not in position financially to even have a mechanic look at it for at least another week.

Any tips or thoughts?
Idling this motor is not enough as it is super efficient thermally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts