Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got me a low-miles 2014 Cruz and looking forward to driving it a lot and hopefully not having to fix it a lot.

My first gripe is the quality of the stereo system and its interface. Hopefully I can come to grips with it without spending money I don't have.

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I love my stock, base radio in my '14 1LT. While many of the mylink systems are causing pain, frustration, and rage, mine hasn't failed, stuttered, or frozen once. I agree the standard 6-speaker system isn't exactly satisfactory, so I decided to make mine a 10-speaker set-up by adding two 12" subs in the trunk and two 6x9s in the package tray. Now it's pretty much perfect. I've also learned the type of music input is important. My ipod classic has an excellent music storage format and listening to it through USB is always louder and clearer than using a 3.5mm cable with my crappy $20 android phone. If you insist on using the 3.5mm, a DAC may be valuable to you. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I just came into a low mileage 2014 1LT also with an auto and hoping to drive for a while longer like the 2012 Eco I just replaced. I have no problems with my stock, base radio in my '14 1LT don't have much more than satellite radio with mine.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,681 Posts
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

Ditto above. I have a base 2014 LT radio and even though I will eventually upgrade, it has worked great - except for the reception anyways.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sound quality is,,, bleh, I guess. There's some weird harmonics in the car that make certain frequencies downright painful to me.

My problem, frankly, is that the system will not take audio input from my Android phone when plugged in. It only connects for phone audio. I do have a USB drive with music on which plays, but half the music metadata don't show up on the green display, and there's limited menu interaction. If I could hook up one of my phones, then I'd have a little more flexibility.

I had a chance to drive a 2017 Cruz with the better package in it (Avis rental), and I kind of liked the bigger screen and being able to put a navigation map up there... but replacing the head unit would take away some functionality, would it not (like car settings)?

AND, I haven't a lot of money, which is why I bought this Cruze instead of trying to land a lease-back Prius or something.

So, really, I'm exploring options at the moment. I am changing jobs and my new commuter will likely have me driving a good 500 miles a week for the next few months, so even minor gains in my driving experience will go (literally) a long way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Eddy. I'm looking at the Bluetooth upgrade and possibly the 7" tablet mod, as I conveniently have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 idling in my computer bag.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I had a chance to drive a 2017 Cruz with the better package in it (Avis rental), and I kind of liked the bigger screen and being able to put a navigation map up there... but replacing the head unit would take away some functionality, would it not (like car settings)?
Some users have successfully retrofitted a MyLink in place of the base radio. That will give you a bigger screen, but that won't get you a 2017-style radio.

One thing some users have done is replace that center dash thing with a screen mount for the factory screen, and then install a aftermarket unit in where the color screen would go.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've ordered the PDIM that will allow me to do BT audio, and then I will likely do that mod, placing a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 in my console.

The tablet is not being used anyway...

·
10,712 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Having had issues with MyLink in my 13 I would rather have the green screen and a PIDM. The touch screen was pretty much there to be listed as a feature and that's about it. Aftermarket options like what you wish to do would serve better purpose. Also having the green screen instead of Mylink you can relocate the tiny green screen to the top of the dash easier to mount the tablet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have a small concern in that I am living in a desert, and I will be traveling, leaving the car to soak in the heat for months at a time. Don't know how the tablet is going to handle that (in particular, the battery). I have yet to find a domicile, so maybe I will luck out and get a garage, but I can't count on that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Meh, the parts source I chose for the PDIM (p/n 22829143) is backordered with no idea when they will get more stock.

I canceled the order and will have to find it somewhere else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts