Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a software update for a 2014 Chevy Cruze in order to Add grid lines on the back up camera and also want to download the Navigation feature. Any suggestions? Ronda

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I’m looking for a software update for a 2014 Chevy Cruze in order to Add grid lines on the back up camera
Despite what the owner's manual says, we've never seen a software update that can be done by the owner - only the dealer.

The lines were added in 2105. We've never heard of a software update that would add them. Those of us that have done so have done it by changing the radio from a 2015 or 2016 Limited.

and also want to download the Navigation feature.
Navigation can't be added by software update. You must change the radio and a number of accessories.

Reactions: dhpnet

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Is it just me, or do others like just the camera pic without back up lines (on the 2014) when backing up? What those extra lines do except confuse you is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Is it just me, or do others like just the camera pic without back up lines (on the 2014) when backing up? What those extra lines do except confuse you is beyond me.
I like the lines. They help me know how close I am to things. They are also useful for estimating how close I am to the curb. When the outside of the line is near the curb, I know I am pretty close.

To the OP: the navigation system has different electronics. It's not just software. You must also replace the control panel.

There are some companies that will reprogram your radio with the newer software. You have to send them your radio, and it is not cheap.

It's probably cheaper and easier to just buy a radio box on eBay that came out of a 2015 or 2016 (if you are OK with disassembling the radio to reprogram the VIN). I bought one for $25. One quick and easy way to see the difference between the radios is the number of bluetooth antennas on the front of the box. The older versions have two antennas. The 2015 models have spaces for two antennas, but there is only one used. The 2016 models only have one antenna on the front.

Also, sometimes you can get navigation units on ebay for a good price. I got a navigation box from a 2016 Cruze Limited for $100. If you get one from a Cruze, they are almost plug and play (after disassembling the radio to reprogram the VIN). You must also replace the control panel, and you need a GPS antenna. The navigation units from the Cruze look identical to the non-nav units, but they have different electronics inside. You might see some that look a little different with a bunch of holes in the box. Those did not come out of a Cruze.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The lines on the Cruze "bend" with the steering wheel. It shows you where the car is "pointed" with the current setting of the wheel.

Reactions: dhpnet

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yeah, I get what it does. I have driven cars with this type of BU camera and just don't like it. I know which way I am pointing, so I just want to see a pic so I don't hit something. Those back up lines remind me of of some stretchy cartoon figure from the 70's for some reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts