Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chevy told me today that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced on my 2014 Cruze for $750 NOT covered by my bumper to bumper promise it covers everything $1595 warranty nor the powertrain warranty. Catalytic converters don't fail. I figure this is related to the major engine repair they had to do a few months ago under powertrain warranty. Baby was running rich and clogged the converter is my quick assessment. Wonder why Chevy thinks I won't abandon them like a hot potato if they don't stand behind their work and issues. Just saying, my brand new Nissan Altima is running like a top. I've bought a lot of Chevy's in my day, always liked them, but this Chevy Cruze is going to be my last Chevy if they don't fix this 3 year old car. Just saying, I've worked on my own cars replacing all kinds of parts, but none required a "catalytic converter" replacement in 100+ car owner years, and mama wasn't born yesterday. I was trained in electrical repair by a fortune 500 employer for which I've worked 30+ years. What's that you say, Chevy???? I need to give you $750 in non covered in bumper to bumper for a part that I've never heard of even being replaced before. LOL!!! Um, no. That's not going to happen. What is going to happen is that you are losing a Chevy buyer. And I'll be calling the sales manager of the Nissan dealership at Jeff Wyler from whom I've bought 4 cars including this one to share with him that Chevy warranty which covers EVERYTHING personally told to me at Jeff Wyler was actually a lie. Jeff has 36 dealerships. I'm sure he'll be interested. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

·
Super Moderator
6,825 Posts
Well, Hello to you too!

I am glad you've gotten that off your chest. Just so you know, we are just a bunch of enthusiasts that on occasion have issues similar to you. We do not have a direct relationship with Chevrolet, although we do have a very helpful @Chevy Customer Care representative that frequents our forum. I would suggest you register your Cruze on the My Chevrolet website and look at your warranties. Have your VIN handy. If you do not know where it is, look in the lower right corner of the drivers door.

I would have thought the converter was covered under the emissions warranty, but it can easily be ruined when someone uses the wrong fuel so I am not sure.

Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its def covered under the Emission warranty unless the owner did something like 'hollow it out' for better performance.

If no tampering exists then the dealer has to replace under warranty. I just had mine replaced on my 2014 Explorer for free due to it failing.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
30 years ago it was 5 years 50,000 miles, and if it failed it got fixed for free.
Did they throw in the "only if your state government forces you to fix it" language when they bumped it up to 8 years 80k?

https://www.epa.gov/air-pollution-transportation/frequent-questions-epas-office-transportation-and-air-quality
Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. If you are a resident of an area with an Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) program that meets federal guidelines, you are eligible for this warranty protection provided that:
  • Your car or light-duty truck fails an approved emissions test; and
  • Your vehicle is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000 miles (up to 8 years/80,000 miles for certain components); and
  • Your state or local government requires that you repair the vehicle; and
  • The test failure does not result from misuse of the vehicle or a failure to follow the manufacturers’ written maintenance instructions; and
  • You present the vehicle to a warranty-authorized manufacturer representative, along with evidence of the emission test failure, during the warranty period.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow, thanks for all the responses. The car passed 80k emissions warranty a few hundred miles ago. It was at 73k when all the powertrain work was done. Apparently these Cruze's are beasts needing Manifold, pipe, and valve cover replacements. These were known issues, and unless one works on one's own car, people are advising is best to sell at 100,000 miles. My HHR had a minor sensor issue when new then no other issues until cam sensor at 126k. Up until this Cruze, I like Chevy's. Almost bought a Malibu in Sept but dealer wasn't negotiating price like I wanted so I opted for an Altima. Just seems a darn shame that so many are having issues with the Cruze.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Blasiri. The forum is very helpful. Sorry I'm a crabby wet blanket. Am disappointed with Chevy, but am sure you guessed that lol. Have never owned a single car in 40 yrs with so many major issues, and that includes used cars that I've bought. Cars should go 200k+ miles with proper maintenance and not require a major repair every 3 months. I haven't received a recall on any of the engine work either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do. Thx for the tip. Am going to call the sales guy that sold me the Cruze who manages Nissan sales for same owner to see if he can help. Let him know his wrap around warranty that he sold me doesn't cover this. Maybe he can work some S. Willis magic for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,825 Posts
Thanks, Blasiri. The forum is very helpful. Sorry I'm a crabby wet blanket. Am disappointed with Chevy, but am sure you guessed that lol. Have never owned a single car in 40 yrs with so many major issues, and that includes used cars that I've bought. Cars should go 200k+ miles with proper maintenance and not require a major repair every 3 months. I haven't received a recall on any of the engine work either.

I have never owned a vehicle that made it to 100,000 let alone 200,000!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Because my initial post was venting (and I figured this forum wasn't a Chevy sponsored forum) let me say that for all of my life that Chevy has been my preferred brand. I'm brand loyal. Is a good solid company I've always thought. All manufacturer's will have issues at some point, and it is really in how they deal with those issues. Almost 50 years ago, I can recall sitting in grandpa's living room out on the farm watching cars top the hill while my older brother and grandpa bickered back and forth because grandpa was a Ford man and my brother was a Chevy guy. My '09 HHR I sold Sept because my sons worry about me driving a car that doesn't have the latest safety features. I was intent upon replacing it with a Malibu, and only ended up with the Altima because S. Willis is the sales manager now at Nissan nextdoor to Chevy and the Chevy people wouldn't deal and were acting a little hokey. All are Jeff Wyler dealerships so buying from the same man but wasn't my preferred brand which was Chevy. Folks will just need to excuse me. Am pretty sure I'm going through the 4 stages of grief in realizing that a brand that was my favorite for all of my life isn't what I thought it was. Since 2/2/17, this is the 4th major repair for a 3 yr old Chevy cruise. That's really really bad. I'm old, haven't seen this before, and that's really really bad. First invoice was 850.91 paid for by the wraparound warranty with $50 deductible. Second and third were the PCV valve vacuum leak and manifold issues covered under powertrain warranty at same time which would have cost over $2000 together if powertrain wasn't in effect. 4th was this issue. Over 3500 in issues on a car worth only $6000 probably because people have internet and know this car is a piece of crap. The dealership has just contacted me telling me GM will give me 25% off reducing the cost to $600+ to replace the part that went out of warranty 300 or so miles ago. No thanks. I'm done. Now just need to get through being screwed so badly by Chevy on this Cruze. Time heals all wounds. Signed.... x Chevy customer. My first new car in 1980 was a Chevy. The Silverado short bed Indian Brown purchased 1985 was awesome. My last Chevy is this 2014 Cruze. I realize people these days don't get brand loyalty, but I come from a day when we did. Te sara sara.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm shocked. But my friends started me on working on cars back in 1978. Usually what will go out is a solenoid here or there or a sensor. Electrical parts. Unfortunately with the Chevy Cruze it is valve covers and manifolds. If you have a typical repair job and do it yourself, it will cost you the price of the part plus a little time. Some of these things are amazingly easy to change out. For you not to have had a car go past 100k, geez am wondering what brands you bought.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
From everything I see after 80K you are no longer covered under the Emissions Warranty, the only applicable coverage
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emission Control System Limited Warranty

For light duty trucks, see “How to Determine the Applicable Emissions Control Systems Warranty” under Emission Control System Warranty on pg. 21 for more information. Defects and performance for car and light-duty truck emission control systems are covered for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. From the first 2 years or 24,000 miles to 3 years or 36,000 miles defects in material or workmanship continue to be covered under the New Vehicle Limited Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty coverage. Specified major components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. Defects and performance for heavy duty truck emission control systems including those found in 6.6L Duramax® Diesel Engines are covered for the first 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

- California: Defects and performance for cars and trucks with light duty or medium duty emission control systems are covered for the first 3 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Specified components for cars or light duty trucks equipped with light duty or medium duty truck emission control systems are covered for the first 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first. Defects and performance for emission control systems found in trucks equipped with 6.6L Duramax® Diesel Engines are covered for the first 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Specified components for the emission control systems of 6.6L Duramax® Diesel Engines are covered for the first 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first. Some California emission vehicles may have special coverages than those listed here. See “California Emission Control System Warranty” on pg. 21 of your Chevrolet Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Eddy. Yes, I already saw that. Appears the dealership delayed 3 months putting us past 80k warranty threshold until we brought it in at 80,300+ then told us we needed to cough up $750 on a 2014 Cruze which of course makes the person who sold us the car a liar. I get it. I really do get it. Am going to unload this piece of chit car in under a year, take the loss, and never buy another Chevy as long as I live.

·
Registered
90 Posts
extended warranties are a joke. Extended warranties are nothing more than an up sale on a car that already has a factory warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Say it to me until I get it, Lazer. I'm hard headed. On 2/2/17, my bill would have been $850.91 for an oil leak. Car was at 52.632 miles. I paid a deductible of $50 and warranty covered the rest. That was the first of 4 major repairs this year on my Chevy Cruze. I refused the last one.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
I have never owned a vehicle that made it to 100,000 let alone 200,000!
My first car did 200K, my second one was close (179??) but I decided it wasn't worth holding out for the prize.

On 2/2/17, my bill would have been $850.91 for an oil leak. Car was at 52.632 miles. I paid a deductible of $50 and warranty covered the rest.
So what was the cause of that? A 2014 should have a 5 year/100,000 power train warranty that I think would cover most sources. You'd be zero out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
extended warranties are a joke. Extended warranties are nothing more than an up sale on a car that already has a factory warranty.
Well plainly put there is no such thing as an "Extended Warranty", a warranty can only be extended by a manufacturer. I whole heartedly disagree with you as 'Mechanical Breakdown Insurance' or 'Vehicle Service contracts' can be very beneficial although they don't cover certain repairs. I have a 7 year $0 policy through a former G.M. affiliate. I pay 25 cents a day and will not have to worry about a covered paid repair until 2021 for my 2014 CRUZE. Excellent value for the money!

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Say it to me until I get it, Lazer. I'm hard headed. On 2/2/17, my bill would have been $850.91 for an oil leak. Car was at 52.632 miles. I paid a deductible of $50 and warranty covered the rest. That was the first of 4 major repairs this year on my Chevy Cruze. I refused the last one.
Linda, are you attempting to obtain service from a Nissan Dealer or a Chevy Dealer? Any Oil related leak would probably still be covered under factory Powertrain coverage, what exactly did they fix? Can you post the repair Order? This last repair that you refused, which one was that again, the emissions problem?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts