Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
extended auto service warranties mostly as dealers' last-ditch effort to get more of your money. They're an expensive gamble for you, and sheer profit for them. Even if you do have to get a repair, that contract enures you'll come back to the dealership.

A 2013 survey of 12,000 Consumer Reports subscribers found of those who purchased extended auto warranties, a staggering 55 percent never used them. Those who did spent a median of $375 more overall compared to those who paid out of pocket for repairs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Linda, are you attempting to obtain service from a Nissan Dealer or a Chevy Dealer? Any Oil related leak would probably still be covered under factory Powertrain coverage, what exactly did they fix? Can you post the repair Order? This last repair that you refused, which one was that again, the emissions problem?
Eddy, I'll list this years repairs. Had them done at Joseph Chevrolet because it is close to where I live.
2/2/17 52,632. Customer states possible oil leak since last oil change but brake fluid is low. Oil cooler, feed and return pipe leaking. Necessary to diagnose. Found and replaced oil cooler, feed pipe, return pipe, refill to proper fluid levels. Parts 343.74 labor 451.50. Covered under extended warranty w/ $50 deductible.
7/18/17 73,166 miles. Customer states drivability concern. Check engine light on. Has P0171 Code. Verified concern. Inspected and found bulletin that advises to inspect the intake manifold assembly for the return valve either missing or damaged and to inspect the camshaft cover assembly for the PCV system being damaged. Inspected and found the return valve missing from the intake manifold. Replaced the intake manifold assembly, cleared stored code, retested to verify code did not return after repairs. SES light is on. verified concern. Inspected and found the camshaft cover leaking vacuum. Replaced the camshaft cover assembly. Retested to verify repair. Covered under powertrain. Shop told my son that the repair would have been over $2000 if not covered under warranty.
10/12/17 80,464 miles. Customer states the check engine light is on and it hesitates sometimes to where it feels like it is struggling. Tech verified concern & retrieved Code P0420 and found catalytic converter needs replaced $801.33 plus tax. Customer declined repairs at this time. She told me $700 something on Thursday. This says $801. GM would discount it to $600 something.

This car is the worst for repairs of any that I've owned, and I'm pretty old at this point. That's a lot of repairs!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Eddy, we had planned to buy a 2017 used Lincoln MKZ hybrid for my other son's work car at end of next year, and all things considered this Cruze has got to go at 100,000 maybe sooner at this rate. May need to move the plan forward and trade this beast in. The recalls for defective parts (and poor design integrating cheap parts into major components) are in a way understandable since recalls do happen, but appears the work in July didn't fix the issues and Chevy won't cover this repair even though it is quite likely related to the other work in July. Heck, I don't even know if $800 would fix it at this point. For all I know they'd take my money then the check engine light would be on again next month and they'd have another component replacement until they figure it out.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
That is a lot of repairs. I have found the only sure way not to have the CRUZE break down at least for me is not to drive it much, although it has done well for a 2014 1.4T with 15K. I'm sure you know the CRUZE comes from the same plant that spit out the Chevy Vega back when that was a cutting edge car. I have always felt if Betty Crocker could bake Cars, it would be the CRUZE. But surely you knew about the reputation of our car, not good overall! Also I would look to see who paid the repair on the Oil leak, if it was supposed to be covered under the Powertrain warranty they owe you $50. Hope it all works out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chevy told me today that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced on my 2014 Cruze for $750 NOT covered by my bumper to bumper promise it covers everything $1595 warranty nor the powertrain warranty. Catalytic converters don't fail.
I have had this exact problem. I have a 2013 Cruze 1.4 turbo LTZ RS and the cat went out at 35k miles. $1200 job. Under warranty, so no biggie. However, it also went out again at 90k, out of warranty. Because I already had it replaced, they are giving me a break on the cost, but it's still going to run me $575.

What the hell!!! I'm 55, so this is like my 20th car. I've NEVER had a cat fail in any car I've ever owned. Now I've had TWO go bad in the same car? Under 90k miles??? This is nonsense. I smell a class-action coming their way.

And as others have posted, they are quoting me many weeks before we can get one, so I know it's a system-wide issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son is having the same issue - 2014 cruze with 94K and has replaced both cats and both O2 sensors and it is still tripping the engine light about emissions issue. He has replaced all the parts and can't get it registered until fixed. Mechanics are at a loss and checking it again. I have never heard of a catalytic converter going bad, let a lone two of them. I am a die hard Nissan fan and they have their own major issues all the time but this one is driving me crazy. Can't get the federal emissions warranty because it is past and he is a struggling out of flight school student with no job, deep in debt, and now his car is dragging him further into debt. Would we now look at the computer? Nobody knows why this is failing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My son is having the same issue - 2014 cruze with 94K and has replaced both cats and both O2 sensors and it is still tripping the engine light about emissions issue. He has replaced all the parts and can't get it registered until fixed. Mechanics are at a loss and checking it again. I have never heard of a catalytic converter going bad, let a lone two of them. I am a die hard Nissan fan and they have their own major issues all the time but this one is driving me crazy. Can't get the federal emissions warranty because it is past and he is a struggling out of flight school student with no job, deep in debt, and now his car is dragging him further into debt. Would we now look at the computer? Nobody knows why this is failing.
What is the code it’s showing?

·
Super Moderator
6,825 Posts
Welcome Aboard!(y)

2011-2016 Cruze Limited 1.4L PCV System Explained
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for (unlikely)
A damaged or failed oxygen / O2 sensor
Downstream oxygen sensor (HO2S) wiring damaged or connected improperly
The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / muffler / exhaust pipe
Failed or under-performing catalytic converter (likely)
Retarded spark timing
The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings
Leaking fuel injector or high fuel pressure
Cylinder misfire
Oil contamination

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts