k, NY

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,059 Posts
That’s a bit low try $8000 to start.
KBB is not gospel.
Especially right now.

Try a Carvana or Vroom quote...they're stupid right now for a car in good shape like that.

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Especially right now.

Try a Carvana or Vroom quote...they're stupid right now for a car in good shape like that.
Don’t forget CarMax.

While you can technically get good prices private right now I find far too many people are using KBB as like their reference and you’ll be wasting time with low ballers.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Yup. My brother tried Carvana and Vroom for his '01 Century...turns out they aren't very interested in a car with 130k miles and rusted out rockers (very nice otherwise)...they offered him about $125. :LOL:

So he could definitely sell that on CL for probably a solid $2500 - rockers aside, it's a great car. If it wouldn't run him $5k to have them replaced (the inner sills are rotting out as well, unfortunately, so it's not just the lower outer aperture in need of replacement), then I think he'd have those fixed. But he'd have to list it for $4k to get $2500. And I'm pulling all the speakers and the subs out of the thing at that price.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Try a KBB instant cash offer (takes about 10 minutes). Dealers in the area that are part of that system will offer to buy the car for the price they listed.

While I would normally not trade in or do this, right now I would consider it just because prices are very good. The higher price a car is the harder it is to sell private party.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try a KBB instant cash offer (takes about 10 minutes). Dealers in the area that are part of that system will offer to buy the car for the price they listed.

While I would normally not trade in or do this, right now I would consider it just because prices are very good. The higher price a car is the harder it is to sell private party.
I did that and the KBB offer was under $3500 so I'm waiting for a good offer. I have it listed on FB Marketplace and Craigslist and consequently spend a considerable time waving off scammers.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
I did that and the KBB offer was under $3500 so I'm waiting for a good offer. I have it listed on FB Marketplace and Craigslist and consequently spend a considerable time waving off scammers.
Also facebook marketplace is a joke. I only use it to advertise my other listings and I auto respond a link to that listing. Scammers will never follow the listing and I don't haggle at all. If its obvious the person is local and not a scammer mayyyybe Ill talk to them. But the 2nd I get even a hint of weirdness its "Hi please follow the listing here: ". "The item description is in the listing here: ". "Hi the quality of the item is listed here: " etc.... Dont bother typing stuff out

I reccomend making a listing outside of Facebook. Most local news stations have a dedicated automotive selling service. It costs money (like $30) but this is the defacto standard for private auto sale.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
FB Marketplace was an amazing solution to the sketchiness of Craigslist...for about two seconds.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
FB Marketplace was an amazing solution to the sketchiness of Craigslist...for about two seconds.
Only good thing is if you have used facebook for years... You have years of active history to vet yourself as legitimate. Scammers are almost always new accounts, different state ,etc.....

Problem is not everyone has public facebook pages and even if they do I have to manually check.

I personally wouldn't mind a social credit system. I am willing to pay money for it. All I want is just a simple score on how likely someone is or is not a scammer. I understand some people would hate that. Especially people who dont use facebook but.... It would solve a lot of issues.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
You make a number of good points there. I just...try and avoid anything on CL or FB Marketplace because of all the BS.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
You make a number of good points there. I just...try and avoid anything on CL or FB Marketplace because of all the BS.
I feel you there. I would like to just have my own etsy store or something but getting people to actaully visit it is a challenge in itself.

·
Registered
787 Posts
When you list on CL, don't put your phone number in as (XXX) XXX-XXXX because it will get scraped by scamming tools.

I always list it as "My number is XXX-XXXX, with a (XXX) area code"

Changing the way you list it will throw off automated systems and the number will be out of date so you won't get robo calls.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would say you're probably slightly low on price but according to me it's not worth 8000. I sold a 2014 cruze diesel about a month and a half ago with 15xxx more miles than yours for 4500. But mine was also probably in worse shape, rust was starting on the rockers

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Dude carvana offered me 11,500 for a 16 diesel with 40k miles mint. Definitely give them a try, you’ll probably make a lot more $$ then asking plus they pick it up. I question asked

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,718 Posts
When you list on CL, don't put your phone number in as (XXX) XXX-XXXX because it will get scraped by scamming tools.

I always list it as "My number is XXX-XXXX, with a (XXX) area code"

Changing the way you list it will throw off automated systems and the number will be out of date so you won't get robo calls.
Yep and also spell the numbers out like six for 6.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.