Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
148k miles. New timing belt/waterpump at 101k miles. Alright so my ac shutoff due to high engine temp. The day it hallppend temperature went 3/4 to hot and once I picked up speed went back to normal. After that, anytime I'm going under 20mph or stop and go traffic temp will go 3/4 to full Hot with the ac off warning then the turn engine off warning. As soon as I pick up speed temp goes to normal. When the car is at 3/4 hot, I have a loss of power. Takes high rpms to get going. All research I've done seems to lead to the gas engines not the diesel. I changed the thermostat, flushed the coolant, and now it pegs completely hot after driving 20 minutes and stays there, if I turn the car off and right back on temp goes to normal. As soon as I drive it goes to full hot again. Seems worse now that I changed the thermostat. I say that because the temp will go all the way to cold for a few seconds then right back to hot. Fan running constantly and I can touch the rad hoses comfortably with my hand. Old coolant looked fine, slightly pink not dirty at all. Went to part store to get a new temperature sensor, says it's for the car exact fit, can't find it anywhere on the car. The sensor i do see is right next to the thermostat and green in color with a bolt head to remove. Ordered one that looks like it from autozone and haven't gotten it in yet to change it. Are there 2 sensors on the diesel? The other sensor I bought already has a 90 degree electrical connection, and all the pics and videos online show that for the gas engine on both the radiator and next to the thermostat. But for this diesel I'm not finding it anywhere. Sorry for the long writeup but any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
729 Posts
is your rad clean?
....are your shutters open?
Does the diesel have shutters? I thought it was only the ECO gas cars that had them.

My guess is faulty temp sensor or a fault in the wiring causing teh erratic readings, especially since you said the temp goes back to normal if you key-off and key-on. If you have a cheap IR thermometer you could check the temps of the system (check a hose or something not near the radiator) when the temp is reading normal then as soon as it climbs pop the hood and check again and see if it's actually hot and not a flaky sensor/connection/wiring causing the problem

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
  1. No worries, what do you mean by shutters? The grill shutters? How do I check that?

yeah grill shutters

you can see the shutter system thru the lower opening under the front lic plate, check when your temps are high, no reason for them to be closed at that time.

i believe they cycle open at start up as a pre check, if you had someone to check while you started , or used remote start

though if they arent working, i would THINK there would be a code, not sure though 100%

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't think the US version has shutters. I also hear rumors of an electric heater in these to help warm the cabin, mine absolutely does not have that. It's ice cold when the car is cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts