Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
That EGR is a tricky ******.

Honestly, I'm just considering it to be regular maintenance anymore. It's getting to be about time to do it again on ours.

·
Registered
772 Posts
So I took the EGR off last night and the accumulation of soot on it was no where near what the throttle body had. I did notice that the valve was stuck shut, so I ended up spraying it with a cleaner and prying it up with a screw driver. After a few minutes of wiggling and spraying, it was moving freely, so I blew it off with my air compressor and reinstalled it.

I checked all of the hose clamps on my on the hose between my air filter and turbo and everything was tight.

I tried starting the car and it would not start the first time. The second time I tried it, I thought I heard a little life in the engine, so I tried it a third time. It struggled the third time, and fired up and ran the 4th! I drove it around, parked it, turned it off, and back on again, and it fired right up!

Thank you Boraz for all of your advice! This forum will be a first-stop from now on when any questions arise about the Cruze.
So, you get to be the HERO Fix-It man.. until next time! Great to hear you got it figured out!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
So I took the EGR off last night and the accumulation of soot on it was no where near what the throttle body had. I did notice that the valve was stuck shut, so I ended up spraying it with a cleaner and prying it up with a screw driver. After a few minutes of wiggling and spraying, it was moving freely, so I blew it off with my air compressor and reinstalled it.

I checked all of the hose clamps on my on the hose between my air filter and turbo and everything was tight.

I tried starting the car and it would not start the first time. The second time I tried it, I thought I heard a little life in the engine, so I tried it a third time. It struggled the third time, and fired up and ran the 4th! I drove it around, parked it, turned it off, and back on again, and it fired right up!

Thank you Boraz for all of your advice! This forum will be a first-stop from now on when any questions arise about the Cruze.
yep

forums like this work when ppl share their issues and solutions

your issue sounded like one i had read here before so i sent you on that path.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello All,

Just read through the comments on this post. I have cleaned my throttle body a few times and had the "no start" issue a couple times. Its loose carbon crap getting sucked into the intake valves (after the scraping and cleaning
) and preventing a seal for the high compression required to start. Ended up cranking (and letting the starter cool) for about 3-4 minutes and it fired right up. I'm a bit more careful now about letting any build-up fall further into he intake.

The issue with these engines is the significant PCV volume and oily residue mixing with the EGR. I am not totally sure, but i suspect the auxiliary vacuum pump for the brakes and turbo exhausts into the engine, so the problem is magnified in stop and start traffic. while its hard to do, i removed the output pipe from the intercooler and found about 1/4 inch of condensed oil vapour in it. So i also think the intercooler needs to come off and get cleaned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same issue after cleaning the throttle valve and egr pipe. Engine turned over easily, and sounded like it wasn’t making compression. After recharging the battery I tried again, and after a few attempts it picked up cylinders 1 at a time. I’m fairly certain that some loose crud made its way under the intake valves and kept them from seating, despite using a vacuum while cleaning.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts