Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2014 Cruze diesel oil leak

3255 36
I recently bought a 2014 diesel Cruze auto with 140k miles on it. Great running and driving car but it has a pretty bad oil leak. The valve cover is dry but the pan is wet. It’s pretty wet right where the trans and motor meet. How common is a back main seal leak on these cars? I’ve looked at forms and seen a lot of pan gasket issues. Thanks
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel, 200k miles, PPEI Tuned
57 Posts
Haven’t heard of any rear main issues. Maybe the oil sensor gasket, is it leaking above the oil drain? If so mine had this same issue. Only bad is u have to drop the pan just to replace the seal/gasket.

· Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
477 Posts
I haven’t heard of any rear main seals leaking. However, tranny fluid could be leaking down too (old fluid looks like oil). A pics worth a thousand words.

· Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,056 Posts
I recently bought a 2014 diesel Cruze auto with 140k miles on it. Great running and driving car but it has a pretty bad oil leak. The valve cover is dry but the pan is wet. It’s pretty wet right where the trans and motor meet. How common is a back main seal leak on these cars? I’ve looked at forms and seen a lot of pan gasket issues. Thanks
The oil pan gasket and the oil level sensor (above the drain bolt) are known to leak on these.

Clean off the entire pan with spray cleaner and drive it to see where it's leaking from. I'm not aware of any rear main leaks on these.

· Premium Member
477 Posts
The oil pan gasket and the oil level sensor (above the drain bolt) are known to leak on these.

Clean off the entire pan with spray cleaner and drive it to see where it's leaking from. I'm not aware of any rear main leaks on these.
Also the oil cooler directly above likes to leak

· Premium Member
477 Posts
Any threads here talking about that with pictures? It sounds familiar.

· Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,056 Posts
Awesome job, thanks!

The one seal that is in the middle recessed, can that just be picked out and have a new one pressed in?

Also, on the cooler itself where the fins and hoses connect are, seems like that can be pulled off. I saw one place selling that with a new seal. Any signs of leaking there? Does this look like the correct seal? I'm wondering for those that reuse the housing, maybe just buying 2 orings and this seal would be enough.
Font Gas Wood Auto part Metal

· Premium Member
477 Posts
Awesome job, thanks!

The one seal that is in the middle recessed, can that just be picked out and have a new one pressed in?

Also, on the cooler itself where the fins and hoses connect are, seems like that can be pulled off. I saw one place selling that with a new seal. Any signs of leaking there? Does this look like the correct seal? I'm wondering for those that reuse the housing, maybe just buying 2 orings and this seal would be enough.
View attachment 296828
I’m not sure what that is off of. Ours just has the two orings. The recessed one is just an old oring that was flattened. Probably the main leak source for me. Our cooler is also a one piece unit with the filter housing. Yes, you can pry it out (the oring) and replace. I replaced the whole thing because my other ‘14 leaked oil into the coolant. Didn’t want to risk that.

· Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,056 Posts
Did an oil change today and checked my oil cooler out and it definitely looks like it's seaping oil and pooling up right under that. Not a lot though, was still on full after 7,000 miles. It's just enough to bug you knowing it's there.

· Premium Member
477 Posts
Did an oil change today and checked my oil cooler out and it definitely looks like it's seaping oil and pooling up right under that. Not a lot though, was still on full after 7,000 miles. It's just enough to bug you knowing it's there.
Yea, but you will drive yourself crazy chasing down the little leaks here and there. They’re inevitable on these.

· Premium Member
477 Posts
Yeah true. But I'm getting a lot of oil blowback and it's coating the def injector area and the steering rack. Just don't like having oil everywhere.
Yep, that is exactly how mine was. After the oil cooler and resealing the oil level sensor, it’s been all good. I know what you mean, looks bad

1 - 20 of 37 Posts