Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel “49000 miles”
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my fuel filter and after reassembly I noticed one of the nylon 10mm retainer nut were stripped in the thread. So I am looking for a replacement but am having no luck even searching the marking on the nut. Any insight and a source to buy would be awesome. Thank you

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,165 Posts
I recently replaced my fuel filter and after reassembly I noticed one of the nylon 10mm retainer nut were stripped in the thread. So I am looking for a replacement but am having no luck even searching the marking on the nut. Any insight and a source to buy would be awesome. Thank you
Do you know the thread size?

Maybe on of these will work?

· Registered
1,127 Posts
<snip pics>
Look on the peg hooks at an auto parts store. They usually have a mixed pack of odd ball fasteners like this. You might pay 5 or 6 bucks, but if it has one of these in it, you'll be done with the project.

Take your stripped piece with you for comparison.

Also, occasionally, at some parts stores, they may have a stash behind the counter you can pick thru.

One more idea, put a wrap of tape around the threads, then try running the nut back on. That might give it just enough bite to suffice. (Make sure you wrap it clockwise :) )

Doug

· Registered
821 Posts
This is all I can find (#3) but it doesn't even look like the same part. ?‍♂

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Nylon nuts give me nightmares. I had to basically custom source them for my projects and it could take months to get orders in. Nylon doesn’t conduct electricity which is super useful for isolating RF stuff.

Just go to Home Depot or something and get an equivelent in metal. Add a soft washer preferably nylon but it doesn’t matter.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,119 Posts
Weird that they don't show the thirty push pins that are also used to secure the shield to the vehicle/other splash shields.

· Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,056 Posts
I'm hillarious. When changing my fuel filter the other day the screw broke off in the plastic nut for the lower covers and I had to throw it away. While looking online to find what the part# is I find someone who already did the hard work.

· Reverend Red Bull
1,154 Posts

· Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,056 Posts
I ordered a bag of these, and they have worked as replacements as the original nuts progressively strip out after 8.5 years and almost 200k of fuel filter and emissions sensor replacements.

You live in the rust belt?

Mine haven't stripped but the screw that's on the one on the fuel tank strap broke off. I can buy just the strap for like $28 from rock auto but not sure if it's worth it. I may never change the fuel filter again on this if I sell it.

· Reverend Red Bull
1,154 Posts
You live in the rust belt?

Mine haven't stripped but the screw that's on the one on the fuel tank strapped broke off.
I'm presently in MI, which is a salt-heavy state, but the car spent the first half of its life in Iowa, where it's usually too cold for salt, so the body hasn't taken quite the beating as if it was always in the rust belt. No studs have broken free yet, but I've had 3 of the nylon nuts strip out on me. I guess if one does break loose, I can be glad that there are 10 of them and it probably won't make too much of a difference without it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.