Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else with a 2014 diesel having "sputtering" engine problems when driving at slower speeds? Mine is VERY noticeable and almost feels like its not getting enough fuel. But I changed the fuel filter 6 mos ago so thats not the problem.

·
Registered
533 Posts
121K 2015 CTD... never a sputter. And I do a lot of slower speed driving. I average about 29 MPH.

·
Site Sponsor
103 Posts
Is it happening consistently at slower speeds? I use to get it during a regen at slower speeds but it was only during regens so it wasn't every day.

Have you pulled the engine cover off to inspect for a fuel leak around the injectors?

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow thats amazing... mine has had the problem for years! I chalked it up as a "quirk" with the CTD's since Ive seen so many others with the same problem. Some took it to the dealer who couldnt find a solution....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
"Originally Posted by jblackburn

Apparently normal during a regen.

However,
https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...tle-valve.html

Awesome, thanks a lot for the link! I had my EGR valve serviced 6 months ago which made it run better for about a month, but it started bucking again. Looks like my throttle body is likely a victim of EGR valve gunk... I'll take a look at it and post the results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like youre one of the lucky ones... Ive seen a lot of CTD owners with the same problem. If it does happen to yours, you'll probably have to clean out the EGR valve and throttle body valve. I picked up that info on this thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it happening consistently at slower speeds? I use to get it during a regen at slower speeds but it was only during regens so it wasn't every day.

Have you pulled the engine cover off to inspect for a fuel leak around the injectors?
Yes its happening only during slower speeds around town. Freeway the engine runs smoothly. I just learned to check the throttle body for gunk. I have a feeling thats the problem!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello, I am having a similar issue. When driving around 40-60mph the car feels like its sputtering. The engine RPMs do not change, It almost feels like the transmission is slipping and catching, or the turbo is dropping out. I've watched the turbo readings with an OBS tool and I can see it dropping the amount of boost then picking back up when the car is sputtering. I do not see the engine RPMs change. It only does this when the car is under a lite load, driving between 40-60mph on flat ground. If I am pulling up a hill or driving at highway speeds I do not have this issue. Its been doing this for a few years and slowly getting worse but I, or anyone else thats look at it can track down the problem.

Does any of this sound similar to your issues? Next time I have some time off I will check the EGR valve and throttle body to see if that may be an issue. I've been thinking of running some Seafoam thru the fuel system to see if it will help, never used it on a diesel.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,578 Posts
When our EGR valve was getting a bit stick, it was most noticeable at idle and when cold-starting the car. It really didn't make a huge impact when on the freeway.

At those speeds, I'd almost wonder about the torque converter - could be locking and unlocking.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When our EGR valve was getting a bit stick, it was most noticeable at idle and when cold-starting the car. It really didn't make a huge impact when on the freeway.

At those speeds, I'd almost wonder about the torque converter - could be locking and unlocking.
I thought about the torque converter, but I would think if it was locking and unlocking I would see the engine RPMs change due to the load changing on the engine. not 100% sure but that was my thinking.

Everything I've though to check seems fine. I'm about to do the timing belt and water pump (100K maintenance, only 20k past due). While I'm doing that i'm going to look at the turbo and try to clean the intake and EGR valve. Maybe that will help. I'm not sure what else to do. I will be looking to buy my wife a new SUV so Ill take this over from her.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,578 Posts
Pulling the EGR and throttle valve isn't the most difficult job - as long as you have functioning EGR, it's just maintenance IMO.

I'd pull 'em to clean them out, they get pretty gross.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cleaned my MAF,EGR and throttle body.EGR was sooty but not bad,throttle body was worse,chunks of carbon coming off.Made a small difference on cold start missing/hesitation at light throttle but did not cure it.Checked glow plug resistances,all about 0.35 ohms cold.So all that doesn't cure the miss/stutter problem.However the intake manifold further in is a mess,there are supposed to be butterfly valves somewher in there.Not sure but all I can figure is complete intake manifold removal and walnut shell blasting (like they do for audis).Not going there,too much cash and not sure that would cure it.Car runs fine when warmed up.Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Cleaned my MAF,EGR and throttle body.EGR was sooty but not bad,throttle body was worse,chunks of carbon coming off.Made a small difference on cold start missing/hesitation at light throttle but did not cure it.Checked glow plug resistances,all about 0.35 ohms cold.So all that doesn't cure the miss/stutter problem.However the intake manifold further in is a mess,there are supposed to be butterfly valves somewher in there.Not sure but all I can figure is complete intake manifold removal and walnut shell blasting (like they do for audis).Not going there,too much cash and not sure that would cure it.Car runs fine when warmed up.Anyone have any other ideas?
The cylinders have swirl valves but I doubt they would cause stuttering. They are more like airplane flaps than a throttle valve. The temps those are at I doubt there is much carbon on them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The cylinders have swirl valves but I doubt they would cause stuttering. They are more like airplane flaps than a throttle valve. The temps those are at I doubt there is much carbon on them.
Looking at some diagnostics, when first started #2 fuel pressure regulator controls the fp until fuel is heated to about 60 celsius,then #1 regulator takes over.Scan data showing a sticking fp regulator shows the idle bouncing up and down which is what mine does.Maybe these things get tired after a few years?In addition there is a filter screen on this regulator.I may unscrew this and take a look.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The only time I get hestitation on my 14 is after I start it in the morning and hit the road around 42-45MPH it might jerk a couple times but that's it. I think it's just the vehicle not being up to temperature. But it does it pretty consistently at that speed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Update to my miss/stumble after first start in the morning.I noticed the other day after starting the idle seemed ok but when i put the car in drive it really started to stumble,idle bounced up and down (couple hundred rpm).This was after letting car idle for about 15 seconds after starting.Put it back in park and idle smoothed out.I was going to pull out the fpr on the fuel rail to take a look at it but i read some info that the fpr is a one install unit,they say you can't reinstall it due to the pressure connection being compromised.So i guess the only thing left is to the dealer,hopefully they find something,there are no codes set and after reading other posts regarding dealers saying all is ok with similar issues i am concerned.Will keep you posted as to what transpires.Funny,after the temp gage gets above half way to normal the car runs great,no stumbling,smooth idle etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.