Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a quick walk around of the new Cruze Diesel. It definitely sounds like a Diesel. The gas gauge, fuel filter and def tank gauges are about the only changes. TD is noticeably heavier in the doors and the trunk lid.

In the quick drive video, I'm not trying to bag on the Cruze Diesel, I just expected more get up and go. It feels like the car takes off in second gear and maybe where you would notice the torque is on the hills. It's just not an aggressive car.

http://youtu.be/EsiafRJHmi8

http://youtu.be/g7h4o6xW8vc

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: APCruze

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Its not meant to be aggressive MPG is what it was made for. Let Trifecta get ahold of one and give it some more H.P I bet 60 more would be enough that's what I thought when I test drove one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
If the performance is as you describe I am glad we get the Korean engine because mine performs a lot better than that one does. Mind you that engine is still tight mine now has just over 5,000 miles on it and the performance has improved quite a bit since I picked up. Wonder if the aisian gear box is the problem? You really can't tell how it compares with the 1.4 until you meet one at traffic lights and then there is a noticeable difference. Even bigger when climbing a steep hill.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's just a way to shorten links so that they can be posted on twitter and whatnot
Oh, gotcha! Like one of those bit.ly things. I was actually nervous about clicking on it at first but I did and It's a good video. I bet the doors are heavier because of extra noise reduction. Probably some sheet melt on them to help deaden the engine vibration.

Did you think there was some turbo lag? The transmission might still be trying to learn the driver habits with all of the different test drivers. It might smooth out over time.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Hmm. I wasn't interested in this car as soon as i learned it only came in the 2LT Auto.

After that review i literally have zero interest in it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My heart just sank a little:/ I was ampted for this car...Guess I'll have to test drive one and see for myself.

·
Registered
594 Posts
TD is noticeably heavier in the doors and the trunk lid.
Hmm, might have to ask around as I don't think there is any difference in the doors/deck lid area.
I talk to people who work on the line in Lordstown on occasion.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Several years back I had two cars that had very similiar peak hp numbers. A Saturn Astra I4 and a 2005 Jetta tdi. I dynoed them and they were within 5 hp on the same dyno.

If you drag raced these 2 cars, they had nearly identical 0-80mph times shifting at redline. But that is where the similiarity ended because in the real world, when just trying to maintain speed up grades, or pass some one at some RPM below redline, the diesel just murdered that gas engine. Badly.

If you try and drag race your diesel you might be disappointed as peak hp is similiar to a gas engine of the same category and it might even feel slower because the powerband is so much wider. But when you use it in the real world you will most likely be quite pleased.

The Cruze has more hp stock than my tdi had w/ a chip and that tdi was a BLAST to drive.

My wife's Cruze D is "scheduled for production" so it shouldn't be too much longer now until her's arrives.

Also, diesels have very robust designs to deal w/ the torque, as well as other upgraded components in the drivetrain. And of course they don't detonate and they are turbo charged. You are going to quickly find out that a modern common rail diesel w/ nothing more than a programmer is going to be an absolute beast. It's quite easy to safely double the hp of a modern diesel truck w/ just programming. I'd personally never go that far w/ my mods but an additional 50 hp and 100lb torque shouldn't hurt anything, should have stock like reliability, shouldn't smoke, get great mpg, wouldn't require any other parts to purchase, and would be a blast to drive.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Eh..not really liking the wheels :/
No one does...I think those will be the first thing to go when I get mine. I am a big fan of the LTZ wheels though.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wish they'd just make it a power train option, even if it only came with the automatic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want it it look like an LTZ but with Diesel. I dont get what is so hard about that.

The lower rolling resistance tires can't make that much of difference, plus they reduce traction. Which if you live anywhere that gets snow/ice, its not very desirable.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hmm. I wasn't interested in this car as soon as i learned it only came in the 2LT Auto.
I'd like a stick but the fact is that manual transmissions are not long for this world. I know I've heard rumblings from people at Honda that they're not selling enough vehicles to cover the engineering and tooling costs for manual transmissions anymore for any single platform. Aside from a car like the NSX we may be quickly approaching a time where you'll never see a stick on a Honda again.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,598 Posts
From here, it sounds like it idles like a direct injection car (Honda Accord, Sonata, etc - they've got a loud tick to em at idle).

I was REALLY impressed with how quiet the newer TDI's are at idle or under hard acceleration. They're not
"fast" either though, but there is an excellent amount of power there at any RPM.

With only 148 HP, I wouldn't really expect the diesel to be fast when you put the pedal down. C'mon...it weighs 3500 lbs with that much power, of course it's slow. But the power curve is probably great, and it can probably pull up a hill or make a pass real well.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What we already do know, Dan is that the Eco has 1-2mm shorter welds and its 214 pounds lighter than an LT. So it would be interesting to see what you find out. But owning an 2 Ecos, that's the first thing I noticed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
When I drove it I was really sluggish until about 1500 rpm give ortake then it got up and went. Take it I had 4 passengers. But the Jetta only has 138 hp those have always been sluggish, look at mercedes diesels.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts