Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While installing my ZZP catless down pipe I snapped a quick picture of the inside of my turbo. I didn't really examine the picture too much until a couple days later. Upon doing so I noticed a couple issues.

Wheel Alloy wheel Rim Tire Auto part

The first is the obvious crack near the wastegate opening. This seems to be a common problem and I'm sure I will eventually have to get the turbo replaced.

The second is the odd white mark on one of turbine wheels, It almost looks like paint or some sort of deposits. Has anyone ever seen this or know what It could be?

I also have what I expect to be a bad PCV valve with quite a bit of oil in my turbo inlet as well as the intercooler and charge pipes.

My car is about to hit 40k miles and was totally stock up until around 35k miles. Is turbo failure common at this low mileage?

I've only had this car for 3 months and have had quite a few issues, really hope this isn't going to become a money pit.
Sorry for all of the questions, thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Are you using a K&N filter?

If so, they are known to take out turbos.

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
Turbo failure is common but mostly with people who run the GM oil. More often, it's the wastegate actuator that fails.

The crack is not a concern and is very common with turbos in all makes and models.

Check out my threads on the PCV issue for diagnostic steps and potential solutions. I have a kit you can use to fix the bad manifold without breaking.

Use a good oil and the turbo shouldn't give you too many problems. I've put a good 40k tuned miles on my Cruze, many of those hard driven and while towing. The turbo is still great and shows no sign of fatigue.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts